Question Of The Day. Saturday October 26th.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

Are you superstitious? Do you have any little rituals that you feel you have to perform?

Before I go to bed at night I have to make sure my shoes are lined up by the front door, ready for me to step into before I have to go out. I don't know why, but I've always done that. Maybe I feel I might have to make a hasty escape in the middle of the night.

:lol2:

What superstitions or rituals do you have?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really.

When I was younger, I did. But that was because my parents had superstitions that they believed in that they told me about. And as a weak minded child, I believed them. But now, I don't really care.

Probably the only one I believe still is never leaving food open on the table because of spirits.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say I'm superstitious, but I'm a creature of habit and routine. I can't pin point any specific rituals other than I simply have my routine (I'm a bit OCD) and if I stray from it then I get that feeling that I forgot something and end up having to check everything to make sure it's all done. The routines I need to stick to are getting ready in the morning, getting ready for bed, setting up my work environment for the day...that kind of stuff. When I leave the house, I say out loud that I locked our door. There have been times that I've left and then think I forgot to lock it, so I have to drive back to double check. If I say it out loud, it clicks in my brain that I did it, so I don't get that "I forgot" feeling. But that usually only happens during periods of stress when I'm living on "auto-pilot".
So yeah, no superstitions or rituals where by if I don't do something, I think something bad will happen. Its more that I stick to my routine so I don't get that I forgot feeling and drive myself crazy thinking about it, like if I locked the door, fed the cats, turned off the coffee machine...etc.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I never used to and I still am not certain but I had the shoulder and biceps tendon surgery that caused the RSD/CRPS
performed. on Friday the 13th, 2000. I like the labels of cans and bottles such as vinegars, olive oil to face forward.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that one, what happens if you leave food open? Does it attract unwanted spirits? make them mad?
They say that spirits will do something to it. I don't know because it's never happened to me but I've heard stories. I do believe in spirits so I don't want to take any chances.

I guess it kind of ties into witchcraft as well because if you have an enemy and they send an evil spirit after you, the fastest way to make you sick would be through your food.

But who knows?

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Working in a hospital, I have adopted the superstition around saying the words like quiet, boring, and slow. It really does seem like when you or anyone say those words, everyone and their long lost cousin five times removed shows up in the waiting room.

I also have this superstition where I need to think pessimistic about something because being optimistic will jinx me somehow. Hard to explain but my therapist hated this mindset lol but hey, I'm either pleasantly surprised or not surprised at all.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have habits that I do that seem superstitious; however, I do not do it because I think something will happen.

I always stir clockwise, I say hello to crows and give them food if I have something on me, I keep a jar of pins in my window, I have never moved houses with the same broom, and I buried a coin in each corner of my property.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not superstitious, but before we go to bed we have to do a head count, and make sure the animals food and feed is set up and ready for the morning so feeding is as easy as dump and serve.
I have to make sure the coffee is ready to hit "brew" so I only have to stumble around for about 5 minutes instead of 10.
If I were superstitious, I'd be long dead because black cats cross my path on the daily :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and me both. I would have died a thousand deaths from a black cat crossing my path, and that doesn't count the times I've stumbled over him.
Queen Bee is our worst. She's the type to run across your path, and stop, drop and roll right under your feet. I joke she's planning to kill me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t consider myself superstitious or anything but I picked up my grandmas habit of checking that doors are locked and lights are off/on right before I head to bed. Once in a while my kids have left the back door unlocked. We have a security system and the wind has opened the garage door if it wasn’t latched securely. So it’s not a bad habit.