Question of the day, Saturday October 17th

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Saturday everyone :sun: :wavey:

How do you celebrate Halloween?

I've never done anything for it - even as a kid. I remember trick or treaters coming to the house though (and once causing havoc by egging and flouring our car).

Over to you. :vampire: :pumpkin: :devilish:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do anything now.  In my young party days it was an excuse to go party.  When the kids were little I did a little decorating and took the kids trick or treating.  I don't do anything now.  I am back living in an apartment complex now so I don't even have trick or treaters.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When our son was younger, we always took him out to treat-or-treat. When he was going into first grade, we moved into a different elementary school area, so he was the new kid in the class. Since his birthday is in October, we had a big birthday party for him and we invited all the kids in his class. We decorated one room in the basement with the big bats, cobwebs, etc. The couch was a coffin and my brother was a vampire. My brother's GF and I were witches and Rick was a mummy. The kids came in costume, although the costumes didn't last long. They (and we) had a blast. Spooky stories, spooky music. Everybody had a great time. Some of the parents came in early to pick up their kids and they even had a good time with us.

There aren't many kids in our neighborhood now. And the ones who do live here, their parents are very protective and most kids only go to relatives' houses now. Our grands aren't allowed to trick or treat at all; I don't think they do anything for Halloween.

But Rick always buys a couple bags of peanut butter cups (his favorite) and sticks them in the freezer. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a little girl my Dad would hook up the pony to a small cart and he would drive us around to all the neighbor's houses on Halloween. Of course, back in the early 60's, there was very little to no traffic on the country roads and we were always home well before dark! 

As I got older, I would usually go to a friend's house and go out Trick or Treating with them in their 'neighborhood' because where I lived, the houses were so far apart we couldn't even see our neighbors! Otherwise, Mom & Dad would drive us to all our Aunt's and Uncle's houses and we would collect our treats and play with our cousins while the grown-ups visited. 

When I got to be in high school, there were always Halloween parties going on somewhere! Oh, and the Haunted houses!

Years later, when I had my daughter, we would go to my sister's house and she would go around to all my sister's friends and neighbors and collect candy. When we got back to my sister's, we would sit just inside her garage with a fire-pit on the driveway and hand out all the candy my daughter just collected to all the visiting kids! I never gave her any sweets and she still doesn't care much for it, so it was a win-win situation! 

I remember one year in particular, when my daughter was about 5 years old, my niece took her and all the little cousins out. There were 11 in all. She dressed up as Cruella De Ville and all the younger kids were dressed as Dalmations! It was hysterical to see her trapesing through the neighborhood with all those spotted little 'puppies' trotting behind her. They were even on the 11:00 News that night! 

Now, I live in a secured apartment building and we never get Trick or Treaters, so I just sit home watching movies and snacking on some Halloween candy that I purchased 'just for me'! I'm content with that. 

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never liked Halloween
Growing up we didn't do anything: no trick or treating, costumes, parties, house decorations, etc. My parents did buy candy, though
  mostly for us since there were few trick or treaters in the neighborhood. A cousin took us once to a Halloween theme park because she got free tickers from work. That was kind of fun. I liked the make-your-own sand in the bottle crafty thing more than the spooky scary Halloween stuff. At school we did the usual Halloween party and decorations. Where I live now there are a few kids but no one does trick or treating. In the 6 years I've lived there I've only had one trick or treater, a little girl dressed up as the main character in the Disney movie Brave.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually hand out candy to the neighborhood kids, I love doing it.

As a child, my parents didnt want to spend money on a costume so I wore one of two costumes every single year...one was passed down and was a boys' costume,and was ancient. Truthfully, I was embarassed by them. I still went trick or treating though. I enjoy passing out candy as an adult more than getting it as a kid.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have an event at church. It is not to celebrate Halloween, but rather a fall type festival. No costumes. It is a family night with supper and other things to do.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays and dressed every year and went trick or treating.  When I got older I went to clubs that were having a Halloween party and even had a very nice party at my house when I was living with two other girls.  Here are some pics:

I was the devil and my cousin was the Angel. Bottom I am on the right, as Elvira, 1998.  This was the last year I wore a costume.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Get dressed up and party like a rock star!

I love Halloween, I usually find a party to go to every year so have great fun planning and making my costume. I think the getting ready is almost as much fun as the party itself. I'm going as Medusa this year.

I think I'd probably get dressed up even if I was staying home with a few favourite horror DVD's and a pitcher of Bloody Mary's, it's my one opportunity of the year to go full Goth.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as a kid i went trick or treating, walking around our neighborhood in costumes. as an adult, i don't do anything for halloween. i don't buy halloween candy, either to give out to trick or treaters (none in my rural area) or for myself (rarely eat candy these days). i don't watch any particular halloween or scary movies either -- though i might just have to locate Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin on youtube.

ooohhhhhh, here's that episode of peanuts/charlie brown --

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as a kid i went trick or treating, walking around our neighborhood in costumes. as an adult, i don't do anything for halloween. i don't buy halloween candy, either to give out to trick or treaters (none in my rural area) or for myself (rarely eat candy these days). i don't watch any particular halloween or scary movies either -- though i might just have to locate Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin on youtube.

ooohhhhhh, here's that episode of peanuts/charlie brown --
:hyper: I have a real soft spot for peanuts/Charlie Brown *she says while in bed wearing a Snoopy sleepshirt*

I grew up with all the books as mum and dad used to give them to each other when they were dating :heart4:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We always have candy for trick-or-treaters and I normally put a few decorations and lights outside.