Question of the Day, Saturday, May 20

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Let's talk about tv commercials. Is there a commercial that you absolutely cannot stand to watch?
Is there a commercial that you love to watch?

The commercials that I hate to watch are the ambulance chaser ones. You know, "Your grandchild may have Erb's Palsy. Check with us!" "Camp LeJeune's water was terrible! Talk to us!" "Hello, folks at home! Call us if you were in an accident!"

I love the Subaru commercials with the goldens. The latest one, with the dogs driving through the mud with the back window down and the muddy dog makes me smile every time.

What about you? Any good or bad commercials?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many commercials that I hate, but I can't think of many of them at the moment. With what's currently airing TV, I hate the Leon's commercials with the "influencers"...so annoying.
I have always loved the "sad lamp" commercial from Ikea. I actually felt bad for the little guy. If you grew up at all with Pixel movies, you can't help but think of that little dude. And of course, the "start the car!!!" commercial...again from Ikea, always made me laugh.

There was also a vehicle commercial (at least I think it was a vehicle commercial???) where they drove thru a forest but the forest was all decorated with fancy household items. I just loved the music piece they played in the background...I can't seem to find it...
I love the tourism commercial that Newfoundland has put out.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyer ad grinds my gears. Another on is from Weight Watchers, featuring a plus-size woman in a bathing suit. That alone doesn't bother me, it's her expression; kind of like "Look at me, I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread!".

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, being unhealthy is 'in' now. I hate it when they push obesity as being completely normal and accepted. We should be helping them,(and there are NO magic pills and easy ways) not making it glamorous. No incentives anymore. The media comes out with articles saying obesity doesn't hurt you. my personal opinion is yes it does, your poor heart! your poor joints! I'm definitely not skinny, but I work hard to not gain......

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We haven’t had cable in years so we are super spoiled missing almost all commercials! We just have our assortment of subscriptions like Amazon, Netflix, etc. On our last trip we got to catch The Curse of Oak Island as it aired instead of the next day when its streamed. The commercials were SO annoying!! Not one was entertaining.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So many.. There is one local personal injury lawyer which I am really tired of seeing his face!
All lawyer ads, prescription medicine ads, the Medicare Advantage ads, and now that internet betting is legal in my state, all the ads for that..
None of them are creative.. many are just screaming at you. Most are telling you lies. They seem to thrive on creating dire possible circumstances, unless we RUN to them...

I miss the days of creative ads...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any of the attorney, lawsuit ones bug me to no end.

I like any ad that involves animals. I like the Subaru ones. I know like so many other things it has been caught up in controversy but I like the Budweiser ads with the Clydesdales. Some of them include a dog, either the traditional dalmatian or the one with the Golden Retriever puppy that got lost, was saved from wolves by the Clydesdales then led the Clydesdales back home.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, being unhealthy is 'in' now. I hate it when they push obesity as being completely normal and accepted. We should be helping them,(and there are NO magic pills and easy ways) not making it glamorous. No incentives anymore. The media comes out with articles saying obesity doesn't hurt you. my personal opinion is yes it does, your poor heart! your poor joints! I'm definitely not skinny, but I work hard to not gain......
As a fat person who is very much anti-dieting, I suggest you check out the podcast Maintenance Phase because they talk a lot about why people are fighting fatphobia. The BMI is also a trash "health measure" that is based in racism and also is very inaccurate. I'm 5'10" and if I were the weight that was considered "normal" I would look sickly thin. My mom would be considered obese despite not even wearing clothes close to plus size.

As for commercials I hate, anything medical or pharmaceutical. I also always turn the volume down when I hear radio commercials about weight loss because it triggers a lot of anxiety about weight (aka my eating disorder) that I've worked too damn hard to recover from.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The media comes out with articles saying obesity doesn't hurt you. my personal opinion is yes it does, your poor heart! your poor joints! I'm definitely not skinny, but I work hard to not gain......
I so agree. I have seen many commercials since I got cable that show people who are at unhealthy weights. It used to be
super skinny people were criticized but now it's ok to be obese? There has to be a healthy medium.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Please be careful, folks. The obesity comments are taking @Winchester’s Saturday QOD a bit far afield into IMO. :)

I never see commercials any more because we stream everything, but I loved the commercial where the cowboys were herding cats. I can’t even remember the product! The Clydesdale commercial were always good for an “awwww :redheartpump:.”

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cannot stand to watch is probably not exactly the right wording for this one, but the ASPCA commercials which show the abused and helpless animal. It makes me want to run for my checkbook (and I already contribute to them) or drive to the nearest shelter and adopt about 10 animals.

I love the Slide kitty litter commercial in the disco with the dancing orange boy who looks exactly like my Jamie and the cats who talk in exotic accents.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate any and all political ads! And then during election season, you see them each about 5 times in an hour show.

I don't love a lot of commercials, but I enjoy some of the old Geico ones, like Wehadababyit'saboy.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~•~
" Get your new teeth in only one visit ! Dr X has your new smile waiting ! Call today . "
😁
Can-You-Eat-Without-Teeth-Or-Dentures-1200x675.jpg

" Sign me up ! "

I hate the ones pushing Advantage Plans (calling them Medicare, they are not). They're not only misleading, they're obnoxious.
~ Medicare "Advantage " is great — until you get sick/injured . My friend learned this the hard way ... 😕

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I found one on YouTube that has two commercials with a retriever puppy and the Clydesdales together.