Question Of The Day - Saturday, May 1st

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Upright freezer. It was an oldie from Sears bought around 1969. It was still working but I was tired of defrosting it every year. We bought a new one from Sears, to the tune of seven hundred and some oddd dollars. Well guess what?? It quit and we had to have it worked on. All the freon was leaked out. The friend who repaired it for us told us if it quits again, junk it and buy another one. He said appliances are throw aways now. I bet that old one I had is still somewhere running.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The washing machine about 2 months ago. The door catch went just after it had filled with water. I had to lug a load of wet, dirty clothes to the launderette. I wasn't amused but I'd had it almost 8 years and only paid £80 for it so I couldn't complain too much.
Two days later I went into work & a workmate was selling her washer as she had just had a new kitchen fitted with integrated appliances. Only wanted £60 for it too. If there is a patron saint of laundry they were certainly looking down on me that week.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been lucky and haven't needed to replace any appliances at all for years. I moved here exactly one year ago today and everything here is brand new, it's a mobile home that no one has ever lived in before so it's sparkling new, well now it's been lived in for a year but only by me
The only new thing I purchased is not an appliance but it is something new and that is a paper shredder, that's about it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're renting and most of the major appliances come with the place, so those are not our concern, except to pick up the phone and report the problem. Of the rest, I guess the most recent is the toaster oven, last July.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A year ago I replaced my washer I also bought the dryer to match. They were 12 years old. It wasn't spining properly anymore.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to get a new hot water heater - if that counts as an appliance. It had developed a leak.

We will have to have to replace our AC unit and furnace in the next few years, though. They're old, maybe even original from when the house was built. While they've been taken well care of, they're not energy efficient.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention that...

Now that I rent, I looked to the landlord to fix the refridge I have that seems to be leaking water. You can't really open it all the way in the place, either.

So, I just made friends with a woman downstairs from me. She has a mail "Morris" cat named Calvin (not Hobbes). I took Butzie down for a play date. It went as well as can be expected. She hissed and he complained.

I digress. It turns out that Cathy, Calvin's pet, had my refridge before.
The complex replaced it with a smaller working one whose door could open. Just called the rental manager. He is now going to replace mine with a smaller one that works since he knows I know the story.

There is someone watching over me.

Other than that, the washing machine at the main house.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We'll be soon replacing our microwave. It likes to turn itself on randomly.
It has randomly turned itself on to "Frozen Vegetables"... so now we leave it unplugged unless we're using it. Very annoying. Not really wanting to drop a few hundred dollars on a replacement yet but we should soon. It's annoying to unplug and plug in all the time.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also rent my place so I don't have to pay for any new appliances. The last "appliance type" item I bought was a hand blender. I needed it to puree my Mowgliâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s food and a ton of meds so I could put it in his feeding tube.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't had to replace any yet, woohoo. Perks of all new appliances just over a year ago when we bought our house