Question Of The Day - Saturday, May 14th

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

Today's question is about movies.

When watching a foreign movie, do you prefer it to be in the original language with subtitles, or do you like it better if it's dubbed?

For me, most things I prefer subtitles. Dubbing just takes so much away from it. But there are some things that are better dubbed. For example, Princess Mononoke is a movie that I think is better dubbed, while the TV show bleach is much better in the original Japanese.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

For me, most things I prefer subtitles. Dubbing just takes so much away from it. But there are some things that are better dubbed. For example, Princess Mononoke is a movie that I think is better dubbed, while the TV show bleach is much better in the original Japanese.
When it comes to Japanese animes they're definitely best subtitled.

I like all foreign films subtitled.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, Kung Fu movies must be dubbed. It simply wouldn't be the same if their lips didn't keep moving for 5 seconds after the words ended.
I guess it would be all about quality. If the dubbing were done well and wouldn't detract from the original, I suppose that would be OK. Otherwise, just use subtitles.

I had a problem in Korea with subtitles once. I was watching an English movie where a large part of the dialogue was in German. Normally, no problem because they subtitle the German. In this case, the subtitles were in Korean, so I had to quit watching the movie because I couldn't understand what was going on.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Subtitles, for sure. I'm not actually a fast reader, but I can keep up, and I'd much rather hear the original language, even if I can't understand it.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rather have it dubbed, but sometimes the movie is so good I don't even need subtitles to know what's going on.