Question of the Day, Saturday, March 2

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Sorry for the lateness. We visited with Rick's mom this morning for a while and then lounged around the afternoon. So while I'm making dinner and the popovers are in the oven, I thought, "Holy crap! I forgot the QofD!" :paperbag:

When you're introduced to somebody and you tell them your name and they immediately shorten it, does that bother you? If your name is Susan and that person immediately starts calling you Sue or Susie, would you tell them that you'd rather be called Susan? Or do you let it go? My apologies susanm9006 susanm9006 for using your name. I really couldn't think of another example.

It usually doesn't bother me. My name is Pamela and everybody always calls me Pam. There used to be a surveyor in town who, at Planning Commission meetings, would call me Pammy. His son was horrified the first time he did it and apologized to me. I told his son that it didn't bother me in the slightest; many of the guys at the paper plant called me Pammy, too. I was used to it.

What about you?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a name that is shortened so I don't know. I work with a woman whose name is Pamela and she prefers Pam. When someone calls her Pamela it reminds her of her Mom when she was in trouble, Her Mom called per Pamela when she was disciplining her for something.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Very complicated. Growing up I was always Susie, and to my family I still am. In high school I went by Sue, so school friends still call me that. But from 18 on I have used my full name, Susan, because it is the one that fits who I am the best. Sometimes I am asked what I prefer and I am happy to tell them, but the only time I stop and correct anyone is if they call me “Susie Q” which is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an unusual name; one that is very difficult, if not impossible, to shorten. And, given the history behind that name, any attempt to do so might result in extreme unpleasantness. Or, I might just sic one or more of the cats on the perpetrator.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Sorry for the lateness. We visited with Rick's mom this morning for a while and then lounged around the afternoon. So while I'm making dinner and the popovers are in the oven, I thought, "Holy crap! I forgot the QofD!" :paperbag:

When you're introduced to somebody and you tell them your name and they immediately shorten it, does that bother you? If your name is Susan and that person immediately starts calling you Sue or Susie, would you tell them that you'd rather be called Susan? Or do you let it go? My apologies susanm9006 susanm9006 for using your name. I really couldn't think of another example.

It usually doesn't bother me. My name is Pamela and everybody always calls me Pam. There used to be a surveyor in town who, at Planning Commission meetings, would call me Pammy. His son was horrified the first time he did it and apologized to me. I told his son that it didn't bother me in the slightest; many of the guys at the paper plant called me Pammy, too. I was used to it.

What about you?
People call me pet names but they don’t shorten mine.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have a name that is shortened so I don't know. I work with a woman whose name is Pamela and she prefers Pam. When someone calls her Pamela it reminds her of her Mom when she was in trouble, Her Mom called per Pamela when she was disciplining her for something.
That's me, too. I like my shortened name best. I would only be upset if I preferred my full name, and corrected someone on it, and they continued to call me by my shortened name.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually,I prefer it.Don't like my name and never have.Long and short of it is that I was named after my godmother,who was my Mom's aunt,and I never did like her.So call me Liz or Lizzie ...even had a friend in high school who called me Lisel.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer my full name from most people.

At my very first job the trainer said “Your name is too long; we’re going to call you *shortened name.* And at 16 I liked it. I felt welcomed or something. I went by that for several years; until about 21 I think. It felt weird after college.

By then DH’s family; including our oldest nephew, knew me as Aunt “shortened name.” So with them it’s mostly stuck and I don’t mind. But if I meet new people I do prefer my full name. And I’m bold enough to say so. I say it nicely; but I will correct it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be weirded it out if someone started calling me by a nickname right away. I just go by my full name without any nicknames. That doesn't mean I don't have nicknames, but it's usually only family who use them. So if someone started calling me Lys or Lyssa or even worse Aly (which is a nickname I've never used), I would find it weird.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up I wish I had a name that could be shortened. I never really cared for my name so put a lot of thought into naming our children. However, my husband made up a shortened version of my name which I don't mind.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to go by a version (nickname) of given name. I only use my given name on legal documents. Their are those people who have other thoughts on what too call me though.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup shortening my name is fingers on a chalkboard to me. Often times I let it go but if you are going to be a regular in my life - I train you lol. Though the older I get the more I find I can't be bothered and am training myself to not hear that it's been shortened. I get it ---three syllables is a lot. If someone adds an ie at the end so it's a bit cute - okay I can do that.

Names, to me, are important to get right. It tells the person on a level "you matter". I truly believe on some level it makes people feel good. Like on days when you don't feel so lovely and a strange gives you a smile and says hello. Small thing - but it really picks you up!

I don't know if others do this but I will spend a great deal of time attempting to pronounce someone name correctly if it's not one I'm familiar with.

If you listen to - names carry a vibration when you speak them. Go ahead, say some names out loud - you should be able to feel exactly what I'm talking about. ;-)

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it doesn't bother me, but it does feel a bit strange for some reason. I have kind of an unusual name and friends/family will shorten it to a nickname (and my nephew calls me by a different shortened version of the name). But random people calling me by a nickname can feel overly familiar.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overall it doesn't bother me. I like all three forms of my name and get called them all depending on who I'm with. I also grew up with like 5 different nicknames (that still get used) on top of the three ways to say my name...so I have no qualms about what people call me...just don't be mean I guess...
The only thing that can irk me is dependent on WHO decided it was OK to shorten my name without even knowing me...I'm not a fan of overly bold, egotistical and "schmoozy sales person" types. So when those kind of people shorten my name right off the hop...I'm like "Who do you think you are?.." I of course keep those thoughts to myself and brush it off because I'm most likely never going to see them again...not my kind of people.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to go by my 'nickname'... I was called that before I started school and would still rather be called that. My full, real name sounds so formal to me. Many people my age, refuse to be called by that nickname, and demand that their real name is used. I am the only one in my building who goes by that nickname. Not a very popular name, but a couple in here. I guess they feel the nickname is too informal ro a kids' name... go figure.