Question of the Day: Saturday, January 4

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bear looked like a tiny Panda cub when I got her.

Mr. Kitty was my dad's cat. We found him as a tiny kitten on a dirt road near his house. My dad swore he didn't like him so he just called him kitty. By the time we came back to visit for Fall Break he was sleeping in his bed and eating off his plate. When he took "kitty" to get neutered they asked his name and he decided kitty needed respect so he told them Mr. Kitty and the name stuck.

My younger sister got to name Muffin because she crawled under my apartment and saved her. I guess she was Muffin because she was cute and fluffy and I refused to let her name her Cupcake.

When I got Sky she was a tiny puppy. I was holding her and they asked what I was going to name her and Sky seemed to fit.

I decided on Lilly's name before I even adopted her. I liked the name and decided it would my next girl's name. Her name at the shelter was Datha, don't know where they came up with that.

Sammy's name was originally Gabbie because the people who found him thought he was a girl and he was very vocal. When they told me at the vet that he was actually a boy I had to think of a new name quick. Sammy works well for either gender.

Aspen's name was decided by a group. She was a stray we picked up at work and everyone had to decide on her name, even though I eventually took her home.

Toby's naming took a strange path. His name at the shelter was Rowan, which was fine, but it didn't seem like his name. I almost named him Simon, but one afternoon I was in the bathroom and he came in with that crazy kitten attitude and I remembered a story my mom told me about how a long time ago her friend's kid tried to bathe the cat in the toilet and the cat's name was Kunta Kitty. So I named him Toby after the character in Roots.

Monster's name was originally Seymour after the character in Little Shop of Horrors because he was always screaming "Feed Me!" I didn't really care for the name and went through several, including Skitter after the aliens in Falling Skies because at times it seemed like he had 6 legs and could climb on the ceiling. I found myself saying, "You little Monster!" a lot, so the name stuck. He's almost 9 months old and it still fits.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hydrox didn't really know his name, but all of the cats we have now do. I can call any of the cats and that cat will respond. She or he may not come, but they'll raise their head. They know who I'm talking to. Boo does not because he's deaf. But the others know their names very well.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cats are Atari and Fawkes. Atari got her name from behaving the way she did when I brought her home, and Fawkes got her name from her looks and behavior. 

When Atari came home with me she stayed in her crate for three days and refused to move even when I took the lid off. What eventually got her out was the sound of Pacman on my computer. She was curious and came to see what the 'wakka wakka' noise was and began trying to swat the ghosts on the screen. Now because she's a girl we didn't want to call her Pacman, but the Atari was the first system to allow you to play Pacman at home, so Atari became her name.

Fawkes is a longhair orange Tabby who's tail fur puffs out like a fox, she's wicked fast like one too and she doesn't 'meow', instead she squeaks and occasionally 'barks' like a fox. The reason her name changed to Fawkes instead of fox was because of how skinny she was when we found her outside trying to eat birdseed. After handing her over to the SPCA and later adopting her when her owner could not be located she became perfectly healthy in a matter of two weeks. She rose from the ashes like a Phoenix, and so Fawkes the phoenix. ;3
Great story.  .........& I guess you answered "What does the fox say?"  LOL, YUP, I went there, couldn't help it. Ha,ha!

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think all our cats know their names. They do ear twitches and other things that make us think so. They absolutely ignore us completely 98% of the time.

I have a whistle pattern when i want to call for treats, etc. My ex husband started that. He said he wasn't going to stand at the door calling for Lucie because he felt dumb. So we always whistled like you do for a dog, and it worked great.

The only reason it isn't ideal now is my 2 partners can't whistle. But amazingly, the sound of the fridge opening, or cat food can lids popping seem to do the trick fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver doesn't know his name and he didn't know his foster name, but he does respond when we say "Kitty". His ear will turn or he'll look up/over. So now I say "Kitty Oliver" so he'll hopefully begin to recognize it.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a huge Highlander fan so have had a lot of Highlander themed names.  DeeJay came from an episode. 

Mini Dee was named because she looks and acts exactly like DeeJay (mini version of DeeJay)

Munchie was going to by my handicapped nephews kitty and he wanted to name him Butt Munchie....ha ha....that fell through but we liked his personality so we kept him and shortened it to just Munchie which is appropriate because he is a CHOW hound.

Mercedes was found in the engine of a Mercedes car

Tigger, well because she looks like a tiger....but we mostly call her Tiggles.

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I named Miki after the Japanese word meaning "beautiful story". I thought it really matched her personality and how she was originally found in a junkyard, then cleaned up and brought to the shelter, then adopted by me! This is definitely an interesting thread- I really enjoyed reading all of the posts 

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One cat was called Leeman at shelter (not sure why!!). He had dreamy blue eyes like Liam Neeson, and I like Irish names so the switch to Liam was a no-brainer.

Murchie arrived as Murchie. And he is a Murchie. So he stayed Murchie. Such a cute name!!

Another was called Frank at the shelter. Did not really like the name so went Scottish since he has orange hair and called him Duncan.

Another was called Elliot at the shelter. Named him Toffee in memory of my childhood dog Taffee.

Another was called Rexy at the shelter, and she stayed Rexy, often being called Wee Rexy or Little Rex!!

My new kitty is officially called Gryffindor after the Harry Potter's house at Hogwarts - but he will be called Gryffin normally.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Princess full name is Princess Ali Geneva. We thought she was a stray so we started calling her Princess,then a nieghbor who also thought she was a stray said she called her Geneva. It turns out she DID have an owner and the kitty's name was actually Ali.

Asher Astor Dash-the name Asher came from All My Children. Towards the end of its run they had new character that was a young new mysterious guy named Asher and Astor because I was always intrigued by New York philanthropist Brooke Astor and Dash because we thought he had escaped but he was actually behind the steering column of my girlfriends car and hiding in the dashboard area for a day and a half.

John Jacob Justin Astor-well I wanted another Astor and I found him on the 8th Bday of my BFFs son Justin,in Justin's front yard.

My black kitty Daisy Hubbard (RIP September 2013)-the name Daisy was given to her by her previous owners and I added Hubbard as a tribute to the Hubbard family characters on All My Children. They were the longest running black characters in television history.

Tuxie Montague-the stray who hangs out on my porch. He has tuxedo colors and my female cats sometimes spend hours staring at him through the screen door so I thought Tuxie as a first name and Montague after Romeo Montague of Romeo and Juliet would be fitting.

Please don't judge my on my soap opera influences.I was a latchkey kid of the 1970s-80s and an only child until I was 13 so I had ALOT of spare time :)

I also name the ferals in the colony I feed. I'm not a big believer in the zodiac but I did name a few of them by the months they show up, such as the Leos, the Scorpios.

I hope this post comes out ok, I've been having technical difficulties and John Jacob keeps walking across the IPad and pushing my hand.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I'm not completely sure every cat learns to recognize their names.  I know for sure Casper knows his, but Cocoa is another story.  We've had her a year now (she's a rescue), and there are some days when I'm fairly certain she knows it, and other days she gets this blank, glazed look on her and turns the other way when we say her name.  Either she's ignoring us or honestly isn't one to care about what we call her as long as we don't call her late to dinner lol (sorry, I could not resist saying that!).
LOL.   Ruby will never be late for dinner, all I have to do is go into the kitchen and she's right behind me meowing up a storm. That is if she wasn't already napping in the kitchen waiting for me. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

LOL.   Ruby will never be late for dinner, all I have to do is go into the kitchen and she's right behind me meowing up a storm. That is if she wasn't already napping in the kitchen waiting for me. 
Nor will any of mine be late for any food whatsoever. I ask Mollipop "Are you ready?" and she is in the kitchen before I get there. I say to Tabby, "Really???" and she flies to the kitchen so fast, her butt slides around the corner on the floor. Boo is deaf, but he watches me....if I put my hands together three times and crook my finger to say, "C'mon, buddy," he is in the kitchen before me. Til I actually get out to the kitchen, fending my way through the feline obstacle course, all six cats are milling about, waiting for their food.

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Oliver hears a pop top in the kitchen, he's there within seconds. This apparently even if he's not hungry. Also, if he hears his bowls move in their iron holder, he's there. Doesn't mean he'll eat!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
@Fhi09 laralove laralove
As an aside, how it is decided who will post questions of the day for that day?

As an aside, how it is decided who will post questions of the day for that day?
I think (but not totally sure) that there are seven members/moderators assigned a day of the week. Mani normally posts the Saturday question, but she's away for the day and asked for a volunteer a couple of days ago. So that's why I posted today.
Actually, there are so many team members doing it right now due to a lack of volunteers, so if you're interested, you're more than welcome to join in! After a while, it's hard to come up with new questions, so some "fresh minds" really help. @AbbysMom usually coordinates it, so you can simply PM her.

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, there are so many team members doing it right now due to a lack of volunteers, so if you're interested, you're more than welcome to join in! After a while, it's hard to come up with new questions, so some "fresh minds" really help. @AbbysMom usually coordinates it, so you can simply PM her.
I volunteered to take the Sunday spot yesterday! Should be fun. Thanks! :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Great question, @LaraLove

Thank you for filling in and I hope you enjoy doing Sunday's QOD. 

My cats' names are usually Sanskrit.  Nilah means 'blue'.  Sundar means 'beautiful'.  Both their names finish with mani, which means 'jewel'.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great question, @LaraLove

Thank you for filling in and I hope you enjoy doing Sunday's QOD. 

My cats' names are usually Sanskrit.  Nilah means 'blue'.  Sundar means 'beautiful'.  Both their names finish with mani, which means 'jewel'.
Thanks! 

This thread was great. So many interesting stories for how our beloved little kitties get their names!