Question of the Day, Saturday, January 20

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

What do you keep the temp in your house? What kind of heat do you have? Do you supplement with wood or coal?

Our house is right around 68F. We have electric heat, which is probably the worse kind of heat to have. I couldn't live without the electric blanket on the bed.

What about you?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Natural gas furnace. I do have two wood burning fireplaces, one on the main level and one in the basement but never use them as a source of heat because they only heat the room they are in and actually make the other rooms colder.
Thermostat is set for 66 during the day and 63 at night but if it’s really windy or sub zero during the day I will bump the temp up a few degrees. Like all old houses, mine is drafty.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gas forced air and we keep it at 68F unless it gets below 0 which it often does in the winter with the windchill effect. We always turn it down at night usually to 64F.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have radiator heat, gas fired. During the day it's set at 70 though the past few days we've bumped it to 71. At night we turn it down to 67.

We have a wood burning fireplace downstairs but haven't been using it much this year. The problem is it will heat that room nicely but the thermostat isn't far from the fireplace so it makes it think the entire home is warmer than it actually is. We wind up having the upstairs being too cold because of this.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep it anywhere between 60°-65°. Unless it's snowing, then I'll turn it up to about 67°.
Propane heat and it's very expensive, plus, I don't like heat (I know, wrong state to live in).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
70 with an electric heat pump system. I did not miss the propane expense from our last house! It actually cost us less to heat and cool a bigger house here.

We have a woodstove for backup but we don’t use it too often. It heats very well but our house wasn’t designed to distribute heat like that so our bathroom is especially freezing while people start removing clothing in the livingroom. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gas heating and this year I've been keeping my house at 61°F and using a heated blanket for when I'm cold. My gas bill has gone down a lot for which I'm thankful.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Propane boiler, radiant sub-floor water pipe heating, four zones. Also wood burning stove. Open floor plan where stove is located, and ceiling fan, means the 18 foot tall double wall chimney does an excellent job providing heat. Excellent, that is, as long as Himself keeps the wood rack full and I am dedicated keeper of the flame.
Cat Under Stove_2013-12_Domino.jpg

Domino really likes the wood burning stove.​

In Connecticut where we had baseboard hot water heat it was delightful - had a double setback thermostat that would automatically raise temperature about 6:30 a.m., lower it about 8:30 a.m., raise again about 6:00 p.m. lower at 10:00 p.m. Underfloor heat pipes have slow response so cannot do this sort of thing.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We heat with propane..don't have a thermostat but I'm guessing we keep them set at around 68.We have 2 heaters that are mounted to the west wall in the living room and the east wall in the utility room.,and I keep a small electric heater in the bathroom,and keep that door shut.I'm not afraid to wear my sweats and wool socks,and do quite a bit this time of year.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what the temperature is in my house! :lol: I have only electric heating, gas isn't laid on for the units. Fortunately, because they're so small, a little convection heater is enough to warm the lounge fairly quickly, and unless it's a really cold day I can turn it off once the room's warm. When it comes to cooling, I use the overhead fan, and avoid the aircon unless we've had a few nasty hot days and the heat's built up.