Question of the Day, Saturday, December 30

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

What are you using to watch your TV? Do you have cable? Roku? HuluLive? You Tube?

We're still using cable and the bill keeps increasing every time we turn around. Every once in a while, we talk about cutting the cord and trying either HuluLive or You Tube, but Rick is worried he's going to miss his football. The problem is that football, like many sports, is now going through Prime, Paramount, etc. And if we don't have them, he won't see the games anyway. It's really frustrating for him. Luckily, we have Prime and we'll keep it...for now anyway.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Roku tv and use it to watch a couple of streaming services - Paramount Plus, which I get for free because I have a Walmart+ account; and Discovery+. I used to have Prime but ditched it several days ago due to recurring delivery issues with Amazon.

I watch Paramount+ to see my Star Trek programming. I didn't know it had football on it too. I'm not much of a sports fan but if you sign up for a Walmart+ account, you can get the Paramount Plus channel for free.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those increases are why we quit cable.

We have Roku’s for every tv and one Roku built in TV. We do have several streaming services now: Discovery+ (my favorite), Disney+, Netflix, Amazon, PureFlix, and one educational one that can go with some of our school curriculum. It’s tempting to drop Netflix but they do have some stuff we like.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
cable spectrum, it is sooooo costly

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We're still using cable and the bill keeps increasing every time we turn around.
:yeah: Same here. We just renewed our contract for one year since we bundle in cable, internet and the landline. I plan on keeping the landline for as long as possible since I make a lot of long distance calls and talk forever.:biggrin: But you're right, the bill keeps increasing every year not because of me but DH has to have HBO/HBO Max and all his sports channels.:wink:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We pay for YouTube TV during college football season so my husband can easily watch most games live, and cancel it the rest of this year. We also have a server called Plex and my husband basically downloads everything we watch.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Roku and Sling. I have HBO Max, I paid for a year because it was like 2 months free. I don't watch it that much so I may not renew it. Max isn't that much especially when getting a year at one time but it's more than it seems for as little as I watch it.

I had Spectrum cable until last summer, it kept going up, it wasn't much each time but when it goes up a little several times a year it gets really ridiculous. I still get my internet connection from Spectrum.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All we have is directv ,which we've had for 15 years or more.Sometimes I wish we had an antenna.....if for nothing else so that I had cbs on Friday nights for Blue Bloods,but...I can go to cbs.com on Saturday and watch Fridays episode for free.Not changing to anything else anytime soon.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We have AppleTV and stream everything: PBS, Acorn, Netflix, Prime, and Hoopla. I just got an email from Prime saying they’re going to start running ads at the end of January…unless, of course, we want to pay an extra $2.99 a month. So we may not be watching Prime for too much longer.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watch a lot of YouTube and that is what I primarily watch. I have a Fire-enabled TV that I use to watch YouTube most of the time. I also will sometimes use my parents' Hulu and Netflix and then my sister's Disney+.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even watch free to air TV now, let alone wasting money subscribing. Cable was a massive rip-off from the time it was introduce, I never fancied giving Rupert Murdoch more money, and the "no ads" bait didn't last all that long. I tried Netflix and Stan a few years ago and soon quit because there was absolutely nothing I wanted to watch. I will watch free YouTube videos on my iPad, though that's expensive enough with the data it chews up, but all my television is used for is watching DVDs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cable. I have my cell phone, internet, home phone, and cable TV with them. Cable is expensive but cell and home phone very cheap so I am okay with it. I also get a few streaming channels free with cable. I do have a couple Roku sticks, mostly to watch YouTube or television on my TV’s that aren’t wired to cable.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Dish TV. I can access Starz,MGM+,Showtime,Starz Encore,TBS,History ChannelTNT,Cinemax,A&E, FX,SYFY, Lifetime, Disney. Though I mostly Watch the "Hallmark movies ".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Prime and Paramount Plus attached to it.

My mom has Disney+ and Netflix and I can still use her account because I download the shows at her house instead of streaming them at my house.

I also watch Tubi and Youtube. I don't mind ads.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firestick for amazon prime, netflix, discovery+ . Dropped Direct TV after multiple billing isses, service being down multiple times during the day. Just not woth the aggravation of dealing with their customer service and poor service.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
A year ago, I cut my cable down to as low as I could, and still have some watchable channels. I decided to not have a contract; I found it to be too expensive. I have basic plus entertainment through Comcast. It is mostly junk--- shopping channels and FOX news. I really miss not having MSNBC and CNN and NG WILD, but that plan was above my budget. I find that all the supposedly 'extra' channels, which Comcast promotes-- as in Xumo are pretty junky-- too many ads, cutting into the programs; and there are a lot of shopping channels and Spanish speaking channels. I watch and record a lot of PBS programs.
I get a fair amount of world information from the Web.

I have a Fire Stick-- Amazon Prime. I use Amazon a lot for shopping. I hate to shop, especially now, with Covid; so it comes in handy.
Subscription services: Netflix, Paramount Plus (for Star Trek and some movies). It is the basic Paramount Plus, without Showtime. I also have Pluto-- free with ads. For a year I had Apple TV. I did find a lot of programs to watch, but could not justify another subscription.. I would love to have BritBox or PBS, but you can only spend so much on these subscription services.

What I think is really unfair is that Comcast limits you as to what you can subscribe to, if you have a Fire Stick. I tried subscribing to CNN-- free app on Firestick. I was notified that because I have Comcast, I could not subscribe to CNN. Such a monopoly-- really borderlining on a Scam. My Smart TV is too old to do streaming on it's on; in other words, it is not Smart.

Let's face it: There is absolutely noting on TV... it is mostly junk. and a scam.. monopoly.

I use the Internet option on Comcast, a ton. I do not have a phone through them. I know bundling would be less expensive, but I just have a 'thing' about it. There is a fair amount of power failures around here. I do not want to be without a phone. I want to still be able to call out, without worrying about using up a battery. I have an old fashioned Trimline phone through Verizon. When the power goes out, I just plug in the corded phone and I feel secure. I do not have to worry about a battery running out. It has come in handy in several occasions.
I just need to copy and print out my contact numbers.. Remember the old fashioned telephone books?? I think they it is good to have a back up of telephone numbers, for the same reasons...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have cable, a bundle including my internet and phone. I've been looking at switching to a different package and getting a streaming service that allows me to watch Chorus Entertainment programming, which my cable provider dropped from their line up. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.