Question of the Day, Saturday, April 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

When you die, do you want your organs to be donated?

I do. I'm getting cremated and my ashes spread in the back yard in the flower bed by the WeShed. If any of my organs are good, they can be taken and used wherever needed. I have no problem with that. Might as well do some good with whatever's left of my body.

What about you?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. The only organ that might be salvageable is my liver; the rest, not so much. I, too, plan to be cremated, and have my ashes buried at sea. That is an option available to Naval veterans.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm all for it. I don't plan on going out early, so I'm not sure how much use 80-90 year old organs are, but hey, if it helps...why not.
My cousin died waiting for lungs, and my other cousin will need them eventually (siblings with CF) and my aunt donated one of her kidneys in a live donation to her nephew...well, more like to another person in the chain of 8 people so that her nephew could get the organ from someone else...so organ donation is something that's close to our hearts in our family.
I want to be cremated, and am not a huge fan of traditional funerals, so I have no use for my body when I'm gone. So basically, take out what you want, crisp up my leftovers (I don't know where I'll end up yet), and just have a party if you need that closure.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sure, have whatever you want. As long as anything that is left over is allowed biodegrade naturally, rather than being cremated or buried in a casket sealed in cement.

Ideally I'd like my remains to be composted, but that's not legal in Japan at the moment. So I guess recycling and a natural burial are the next best thing.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my husband had the gift of a transplant I am all for donation. If they can use anything of mine, take it. Age might play into it though since I am beyond being able to stretch the truth and say I am middle aged! Cremation for me and no service. If you can’t tell me how wonderful you think I am while I am here, don’t bother telling others when I am dead. I find the whole funeral thing distasteful.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much doubt any of them would be useful to anyone now, but if there is anything, then yes. Other than that, cremation. I will be gone but maybe watching from somewhere, so nobody better spend a lot of money on any of it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If anything is still good. I was in the bone marrow donor database for years but I never matched anyone. Fifty-five is the cutoff for donating bone marrow and I am 67 now. I originally got in the database because a Marine officer where I worked had leukemia and needed bone marrow. They came to work and took blood from anyone who was willing to donate.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am an organ donor. I also, want to be cremated, with ashes just in the ocean...
As far as I am concerned, I will be dead.. If any good can come from any part of my body to someone who needs it.. I am all for it..

It is strange: when my dad died, they wanted to harvest his skin. That was the only thing which was of any value.. but, my dad dearly wanted to be buried next to my mom, intact. I had to refuse. While he was alive, he did volunteer for a research study-- a bone marrow biopsy. He suffered through that..

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I'm an organ donor. Why not use whatever they can.

Ideally I'd like my remains to be composted, but that's not legal in Japan at the moment. So I guess recycling and a natural burial are the next best thing.
I have a cremation plan pre-paid but I would prefer to be composted, too. It hasn't been legal in California, but a friend recently told me it is now and that it's affordable. Last time I looked, it would have to be in Oregon and cost about $10,000! So I'll be looking into that to see what the situation is in California now.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My "remains " are scheduled to be donated to USC School of Medicine. :cloud9:
Organ/tissue donation after death requires life-support in hospital. Not many die in this circumstance.
There is no age limit on becoming a living organ donor. I met someone who donated a kidney. Apparently it saved someone's life.
I have a cremation plan pre-paid but I would prefer to be composted, too.
~ In the future we may have trees named after us ... :worship:🌳