Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of January.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning. 

I've been poorly-sick this week. I thought I was just coming down with a cold, but then I started to get stomach pains too and things just got worse from there. I ended up going to hospital where they put me on a drip and gave me a load of different pills to take.

I'm feeling a bit better now and hey, no need to go on that New Year diet anymore. Three days of not eating have flattened my stomach again. 

When was the last time you went to hospital? What was it for? How long before you were back to normal?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh geez. I'm thinking it was when I first started taking Fosamax for osteopenia. The very first time I took a Fosamax pill, I had problems. It got so bad that, while I thought the pain was from the Fosamax, at my age, I couldn't rule out a heart attack. And ended up in the ER for a suspected heart attack. They thought I was a little young to be having heart problems, but they did all the tests. When the doctor walked in my room, I was lying on the bed reading a book. Doctor kind of smiled and said, "No way are you having a heart attack! Not the way you're acting."

The tests that night at the ER, along with further tests later on that week, showed that it was Fosamax doing a heckuva number on me. My heart was fine. I think that was the last time I ended up in the ER. That was several years ago; to this day, I have jaw pain on the right side of my face and my dentist feels that it's a result of Fosamax. Didn't even take it a full month. Nasty stuff.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Norachan. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the horrific side effects, I am surprised Fosomax is still allowed on the market! 

The last time I was in the ER was April 2015 when I went into A-Fib again and ended up getting a third stent in my heart. As far as being back to 'normal'... never. 

Other than that, does going to the vet count? LOL  Keeker had acute colonitis last week but he is now back to ... Oh, he was never normal, LOL  Let's just say he is back to himself! 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Oh, no. I hope you feel better soon! My last hospital visit was in May, when the shelter's resident psycho cat decided to chomp my leg. It was sore for a couple of days, but there wasn't any infection. He got another volunteer in the arm, and she was out sick for quite a while due to a bad infection.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness, I really have to think on that one. The last time I was hospitalized  it was when I was 22 and they removed a part of my colon after exploratory surgery and removing my appendix which was fine when they thought THAT was the problem! 105 degree temp for days, extreme tenderness in my lower abdomen, and high white blood cell count. Then they thought Crohn's disease, but nothing since, thank goodness, They removed my appendix anyway so it wouldn't  be ignored if it did flare up and they treated me for Crohn's disease.  So that was back in 1978!!! I guess I have been lucky!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little over a year ago. I had surgery and was on crutches (and on leave from work
) for a few months afterwards. One of the medicines I was temporarily taking post-surgery gave me hematuria about a week after starting it so it was off to the ER for that. I haven't been to a hospital since other than going to see a doctor for a regular visit.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last time I went to a hospital was last summer (2014). My pony threw me into a fence - I came away with cracked ribs and torn collarbone muscles :cringe:

Norachan Norachan :eek:hno: Poor you. That sounds awful :hugs: So glad you're feeling better now. Really hope you're fully recovered soon :vibes:

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Metformin for diabetes gave me palpitations when I started it, spent two days in hospital and heart was fine, now the only side effect is diarrhea! Fun for me! If the disease doesn't get you, the meds will Ha Ha. This was October last year. It has made me think, perhaps I should retire early this year and enjoy life. Glad you're on the mend Norachan

Last edited:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
September 2012 was the last time I was in the hospital. It was for the birth of my son. I only was supposed to be there one day but the epidural wouldn't wear off on my one leg so I had to stay 2 days. All is normal now.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the last time was when i went to the emergency room after my little snick bit and gnawed on my arm at the vet's -- when the vet (finally) agreed that my little girl was not tolerating vet appts any longer (it was the blood draws that caused that, every two months to check her bun and creatinine -- CKD). anyhoo, i'm prone to developing cellulitis so i knew to have that looked at. the doctor had xrays done, to make sure none of the tooth snick lost that day ended up in my arm, and prescribed augmetin for me.

@Norachan -- so sorry you were having severe gastro distress. i'm glad to hear you're starting to feel better though! 

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been to the emergency room for emergency reasons. Knock wood. I am glad you are all OK now!

Last time I was in the hospital I was visiting a neighbor.

Time before that, I had my thyroid removed.. I was there for 8 hours with a week recovery.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having trouble breathing the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and went to Urgent Care.  They ruled out asthma, pneumonia, did blood tests said the heart was stressed but didn't think it was a heart attack.  Next thing I know they are putting me in an ambulance to be sent to the er.  I had blood clots in both lungs.  The doctors were excited to do a new procedure since I met the criteria.  Spent a week in the hospital, missed turkey day and didn't get to see much of my youngest son who was home on break.  The doctors think if was a combination of the cast on my leg, not moving enough and being on a birth control pill.  I was feeling fine and chomping at the bit to get out of the hospital, so I was feeling better by the second night in.

Norachan feel better soon.

marcusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last June. I'm diabetic, on insulin, and prone to hypoglycemia as a consequence. I had a really bad low blood sugar that wasn't responding at all, ended up in the ER for about 7 hours, while I being brought up to running speed again and monitored. Most miserable experience I've had in a couple of years. I end up in the ER at least once a year.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan Norachan :eek:hno: Poor you. That sounds awful :hugs: So glad you're feeling better now. Really hope you're fully recovered soon :vibes:
:yeah:

I'm home with a stomach bug myself today but not nearly bad enough to go to the hospital!

I did have to go to the ER, let's see, almost two years ago now, after I fell and broke my shoulder.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
October 2014 when Hudson was born. I went in at 6 am on a Friday, labour was induced and he was born that night. Went home Sunday morning. It took a couple weeks before I felt normal again.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time I was in the ER (not admitted) I'd passed out at the grocery store right before walking out of the store to go to my car, in February of 2011. I'd been on an antibiotic for 11 days I think at that point that made me not able to eat enough. Plus I didn't get enough sleep that day, had to be at work at 2am for a code push, then stupid me scheduled a noon hair appointment. To this day, when I'm tired like that, I get freaked out about stopping at the store first. Anyway, the people that called 911 told the EMTs I had had a seizure. Of course the moment I told them I was epileptic, it was set it stone for them. I swore up and down, and still do, that that was NOT what happened. I am not that lucid after coming out of a seizure. It takes me hours to get back to normal after those. And I've not had one in years.

Last time I was admitted... Another time I passed out. The doctor insisted I had LQTS (long QT syndrome) and freaked my mother out so much about it when he said it could cause sudden death. I did have a prolonged QT wave that night in the ER but not the rest of the night, so they said it was not that. They were quite happy to get rid of me the next day with the complaining I did to be released, lol.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2008 Open Hysterectomy. In hospital 2 days. Went back to work at 5 days post op, with threat from the doc that he was going to watch me. His office is one floor below mine. Total recovery was a couple weeks, but the pain being releaved from what it was prior to surgery made the actual surgical pain seem like nothing.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Last time I went to the ER was in summer of 2015 for a migraine with uncontrolled nausea. I knew all I needed was an initrex injection but it was a night of emergencies far worse than mine. Among the memorable events of the night - someone dressed up as a nurse stole the pain medicine from someone having a gall bladder attack. It took hours but I finally got my injection and walked out feeling physically fine but shaking my head at the depths to which people can sink.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer 2012, I tripped at work (in a hospital); broke my arm and had to be taken downstairs to the ER. 

Had outpatient surgery on that shoulder in 2014; do not know if that counts.

Before that it was June 2012 when Artie bit my foot and gave me an infection.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan, I'm so glad you feel better.

The last time I was in the hospital, was 2004. I had a "mini stroke" at 35! It only happened because there was a tare in my right carotid artery (behind my right ear), so my body tried to "mend" it w/ a clot.
The week before, I had a headache & the muscles down the back of my neck felt SO tight. They would not release for anything! Then, on Sunday, I was in my bathroom getting ready to run an eran, & all of a sudden my knees have out. Luckily, in that instant, I leaned against the wall & just slid down it. I remember sitting there, confused & in shock, not knowing what just happened. I didn't feel clear. I struggled to get up & couldn't, so managed to crawl out into the hall. I was so scared I remember laying there, crying, praying for God to help me get up. I could see my bed, & thought if I could just make it to my bed & phone. I did, with every oz. Of strength I could muster (& the grace of God). When I picked up the phone, or tried to rather w/ my left hand, & the left side of my mouth was like I just came from the dentist I knew something was very wrong. Scary!!
I finally ended up in the hospital. It took them a while to figure out why I had it, because my blood pressure was good, (has actually been off meds for 2 yrs @ that point, & said my cholestorol
was good too. Then, a day or two later, they finally saw it by doing an ultrasound on my neck. My sister saw it when they did it.
Thank goodness, no surgery. Just blood thinners & bk on B.p. meds again for a year. (Still on B.p.meds). I had to get an MRI every few months that year to monitor the healing.
I still to this day don't know why it happened. All I can take from it is that no matter what, no matter how scary, God has got you!
It could have been worse. Any paralysis I had on the left, was pretty much gone by midnight that night. I have had no lasting effects of it. (I was taking B.p. meds before, so..?)
I was in the hospital for a week. I was home from work a week after that. Then, when I did start back, they told me to do what I could. So instead of 9-5, I was going in around 10:00, & staying until around 4:00 if I could. They did that for me for a whole month!

( this is when I was a buyer at a co-op for beauty & gen.merch. I was there for 6 & 1/2 yrs).

Last edited: