Question Of The Day. Saturday 2nd Of March.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

Let's talk about clothes today.

Where do you buy your clothes?
Do you have any designer stuff?
Do you have and fashion or "look" you try to follow?
Do you ever buy second hand or vintage clothes?

I very rarely buy new clothes. I get some more underwear from Uniqlo maybe once a year, but other than that I only buy something new if I'm forced to throw something out.

The only brand or designer clothes I have are sports gear or outdoor gear. My latest acquisition was a fleece lined waterproof jacket from Montbell, great for hiking in. I had my last waterproof jacket for about ten years before I had to retire it.

My look is either "Lumberjack", if I'm walking around here or working in the garden, or "Hippy/Goth trying to look smart" if I'm working. I definitely go for comfort and practicability more than anything else. I'd love to have the dedication to dress as a Steam Punk or Gothic Lolita, but I guess it would look pretty odd around here.

I buy some second hand stuff, mainly big thick sweaters or hoodies that I can wear until they fall apart.

How about you, tell us about your clothes.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my clothes are from Goodwill and Ebay. I hate shopping for clothes. I hate trying on clothes.

I guess my jeans are name brand, but they are all from Goodwill and Ebay. The only reason I buy them is that they actually almost fit my body correctly. I have a condition called lipedema, which causes my lower half and arms to be larger than normal. (There is a 16-inch difference between my waist and my hips.) Pair that with the fact that I have a 25" inseam, and I am thrilled that I can find any!

As for my style, I would have to say I have an "artistic witch" esthetic when I actually care what I have on, but it is too difficult to find clothes that fit what I want to wear and what my body can fit. I own very few clothes that would be considered "light" or "bright." Black, grey, and muted puce are my favorite colors to wear. Green is my favorite color, but I only own a couple of things that are green.

If I have nowhere to go and I am not worried someone will stop over, I will wear my pajamas all day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found some darn good jeans at Goodwill :)

I buy all over the place, Burlington, Penney's, Sears, Target, May D&F, Macy's, Dress for Less, a couple other stores that have closed.

I haven't bought anything for a while, I'd gained some weight then lost it so many pieces are like new, which is really nice.

My style is casual although I can dress fairly "fancy" when the occasion requires it :)

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) I usually shop at Burlington, with a few exceptions (work pants are from JC Penny because they fit so well!)
2) designers are usually by accident unless you count the wedding dress I'm getting.
3) idk if I have a special look
4) don't generally buy used

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely hate clothes shopping and buy at least 90% of the stuff I wear online, usually on sale. No designer clothes for me - it's rare for me to wear anything but jeans and fleece tops, sweatshirts or t-shirts. That's the joy of being semi-retired.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning.

Let's talk about clothes today.

Where do you buy your clothes?
Do you have any designer stuff?
Do you have and fashion or "look" you try to follow?
Do you ever buy second hand or vintage clothes?

I very rarely buy new clothes. I get some more underwear from Unqlo maybe once a year, but other than that I only buy something new if I'm forced to throw something out.

The only brand or designer clothes I have are sports gear or outdoor gear. My latest acquisition was a fleece lined waterproof jacket from Montbell, great for hiking in. I had my last waterproof jacket for about ten years before I had to retire it.

My look is either "Lumberjack", if I'm walking around here or working in the garden, or "Hippy/Goth trying to look smart" if I'm working. I definitely go for comfort and practicability more than anything else. I'd love to have the dedication to dress as a Steam Punk or Gothic Lolita, but I guess it would look pretty odd around here.

I buy some second hand stuff, mainly big thick sweaters or hoodies that I can wear until they fall apart.

How about you, tell us about your clothes.
Oooh steampunk is so cute! I dressed up in steampunk for halloween once.

I get some cheap stuff during sales from macys.com. I used to shop at H&M but their style has gone downhill lately and aren't as cute. For work I have taken a liking to Ann Taylor! Their stuff is just nicer and higher quality. A bit old lady like but some choice things are nice. I'm not really sophisticated in the way I dress. I just wear jeans and a long sleeve or short shorts and a tank. I dislike hippy or overly girly type of styles.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Style is casual. Just about all of my clothes come from Kohl's. They have great sales and stuff I like that fits well.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a pair of jeans at Walmart last month because I ripped my only pair.
I don't remember when I bought the item before that.

Oh, socks. I bought some socks at Walmart. And a robe at Ross 3 years ago.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mostly, i buy my clothing at walmart. no designer stuff here. i'd say my 'style' would best be described as......comfortable (very) casual work (ie, around my house and property). i've bought second hand clothing, years ago. there aren't any 'thrift' stores in my immediate area, though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Wherever and whenever I can find a good sale. I used to shop at Penny's, but they closed all of them close by; I think the closest Penny's now is about 60 miles away. Penny's sold Docker casual pants and Gloria Vanderbilt casual pants. I like them and they fit. Also Worthington. I have quite of bit of Worthington as well as St. John's Bay.

I like Christopher and Banks for shirts and sweaters, again for work. I buy when there's a sale and I have coupons. I like Coldwater Creek pants, but the shirts run small.

Underwear and socks from Target, for the most part. Bras and such from a Vanity Fair outlet. Jeans from an outlet, or from Kohl's when there's a sale. I only wear Levis or Lees. I do not like relaxed fit pants.

Shoes and boots from anywhere I can find a sale. If I like them and they fit, I'm good.

No designer stuff here; I'm more about comfort than anything. Again, if I like it, I'll buy it. And no dresses or skirts anymore. I can't tell you when the last time was that I wore a skirt.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't afford new clothing so mine are hand-me-downs and used from eBay.
I'm usually in yoga pants and when it's cold, sweats over those. My sister buys me coats and last year bought me a warm parka. I did invest in few good pair of boots a few years ago. Julie gives me her old tee shirts from Old Navy so other than panties I'm good. I do buy panties from VickieS when they're on sale because they last forever.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most clothing I get from Macy's. I have a hard time finding clothing that fits; I'm short and plus sized (currently, slowly working my way out of that size) and they always have a good selection of plus sized petites in stock. And great sales too.

I also shop in Lord & Taylor for on sale items along with some other department style stores. The few times I need something dressy, I almost always will be able to find it at L&T. Good coat and bathing suit selections also. Their plus sized department is pretty good with a lot of designer names that go on sale, although I rarely come upon petites there, so I wind up buying just tops from them most of the time. Or, stuff like shoes.

I like Kohl's house brand for tops a lot also, they wear well and last which is a criteria of mine. Socks, bras and undies I'll get from wherever they are on sale since I never deviate from the brands that fit me best (Warcoal, Goldtoe & Bali). Unfortunately they recently ditched my favorite one, that was available literally for at least 10 years. They would wear out, I'd buy more, but now gone gone gone so not sure if I'll find anything similar from them.

Shoes must be comfie, I have bad knees so making sure I'm aligned properly is important, plus some other minor foot issues that come up now and then. I'm partial to Birkenstock - I won't cheap out on shoes since it's so important for overall body comfort. I used to wear sneakers a lot but bending to tie laces is a PITA when you have mobility issues and commute so I went back to wearing slip on styles. Birk now makes some really nice closed shoes so that works out good for me.

I have no style at all. I rarely wear designer clothing though I do for accessories such as handbags. I'm not into clothing very much and luckily don't have to dress up for work as I'm in the design field and things are pretty casual especially since my position doesn't need to see clients. Weekday look and weekend looks are similar - black jeans, nice top, or sweater,. Very basic, minimal patterns as possible. Sometimes I do gravitate to a slightly boho look - Lucky Brand makes cute, very soft and colorful tops that are good for summer weekend wear.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where do I buy clothes? I lost weight when I started eating gluten free and walking. My total wardrobe had to be replaced. I have to have tailored clothes that don't go out of style because of my husband's profession. I am a petite person which makes it harder to find things that fit. I couldn't find them in local stores, so most everything I have came from the two local thrift stores. I do however hit the Belk clearance sales from time to time.

Designer? Yes I have some labels like Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Kasper, etc. They mostly came from the thrift stores. I do like my Coach handbags, but all except two of them came from online purchases.

Fashion Look? I suppose. I was wearing a beige long sleeve sheath dress that zipped up the back. (thrift store designer) Because it was shorter than I would normally like, I was wearing knee dark brown leather dress boots with it and a fuzzy mingled beiges scarf. A beautiful young woman who attends our church, told me I was a "Fashionista." Oh my. What is that anyway? Because of her own good looks, I took it as a compliment. For casual wear, you will find me in some jeans and a Life is Good tee shirt.

Second Hand Clothes? Yes. As stated previously, it was the only way I could find basic looking clothes suitable for a woman my age. I take them straight home and put them in the washer and they are wonderful.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like thrift shopping! I mainly get tops and summer dresses :) and if I am lucky the occasional cocktail dress.

I'll buy higher end for specific other things, like jackets, pants, bags and shoes. I just find it is worth the investment as they are more comfortable and last longer. My winter jacket for example is DKNY, I love it!

Then I'll dabble in the inbetween stuff, like Walmart, Giant Tiger, Joe Fresh etc

As for style, I guess "Classic". I like a mix of comfort and elegance, fresh and polished, pretty and charming. I like feeling inspired by timeless Parisian fashion I reckon, the closest I can compare.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I absolutely hate clothes shopping and buy at least 90% of the stuff I wear online, usually on sale. No designer clothes for me - it's rare for me to wear anything but jeans and fleece tops, sweatshirts or t-shirts. That's the joy of being semi-retired.
Ditto to all this.

I always say that dressing up means wearing black jeans instead of blue ones. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't shop at any one particular store although there are some I like more than others. I tend to think of my style as sporty, e.g. yoga or outdoor type clothes. Since winter lasts 5 months out of the year here I like to layer my clothing and think more about dressing for the weather. I have gotten some great finds at resale shops over the years too.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy most of my clothes from Marks & Spencers or Debenhams but I shop all over the place for my clothes. I also like buying from newer brands and tend to wear jumpers and jeans in the winter and summer dresses or tops and shorts in the summer (my style is very casual/homely). I don't have much designer wear at all as it's normally too expensive for me, and I have bought some second hand clothes before. I volunteer in a charity shop so sometimes get some of the stock that hasn't sold.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost never buy clothes full-price. I get a lot of my stuff from Old Navy and then the Target clearance racks. I also shop at thrift stores a lot. My style is eclectic. I love vintage-style dresses, but most often I wear stuff that is just comfortable. I wear a lot of maternity clothes actually because I have a long torso and most clothing is too short on me.