Question of The Day. Saturday 2nd of January

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

Do you like theme parks? Which are some of the best theme parks you've been to? What are your favourite rides?

I've only been to two theme parks, as they're not really my thing. I've been to Nagashima Spa Land, which has the longest wooden roller coaster in the world, and Tokyo Disney Land. Nagashima Spa Land had the best rides, but I have to admit that most of them were utterly terrifying and after a few roller coasters I'd had enough. Disney Land was OK, I could appreciate the kitsch value of it all even though it wasn't really my thing. I quite liked the Big Thunder Mountain ride. Exciting without being too scary.

What are your favourites?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been to 4 of them- Disney World and Sea World in Orlando, and Busch Gardens in Tampa, as well as Opryland in Nashville. They were all right, but nothing that I have any burning desire to return to; and anyway, Opryland was bulldozed years ago. If you have young kids it's one thing, but if not, there's no point to it. In fact, there is a large theme park not 30 miles from me that I have never been to, and have no intention of going to.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to Idlewild, Kennywood, Hersheypark, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I have an almost crippling fear of rides that go into the air, but there are a few I can handle, like the Racer and the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood. There's also an indoor coaster there called Exterminator. Strangely, I'm okay with that one too-I think it's because it's mostly dark, so I can't actually see the height.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Disneyland! Been there a few times to both the main park and Epcot.
I used to like Great Adventure in New Jersey, even worked there one summer decades ago.
I enjoy some rides, like rollercoasters but others not so much. Some used to trigger migraines which was not good.
My husband has never been to Disney and I think when the pandemic is over, and it's safe to travel again we may go. He'd love it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to 3 Disney parks, though I was too young to remember Disneyland (in CA). Have also been to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney World (in FL), multiple times each (DW 3 times and I don't remember how many times we went to TD, because we went every time the military MWR had discounted tickets and a tour bus, lol. I think 5-6 times). I enjoy the rides and most of the kitsch, but tbh I hope they keep the COVID restrictions on how many people they allow in every day, because seriously, there's no point in going if there are so many people that all ride lines are 1 hour + and nobody can move.

When I was small I'm told we went to San Diego Sea World and Knott's Berry Farm a lot, but I don't remember. We also went to Sea World in FL maybe 15 years ago but I wouldn't go now.

In Japan we went to Huis Ten Bosch a few times and there was a small generic theme park we went to a lot, but I don't remember the name. And when visiting my relatives in El Paso we went to a local theme park that was apparently just for regulars/locals and we were not treated well at all, I thought that was weird.

I think there may be more but I can't remember them all, I think my family just likes amusement parks, lol.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not my thing at all. I've only been to two.. the old Luna Park in Melbourne when I was really small, and Ocean Park, Hong Kong Island when I lived there.
Luna Park is a classic.. built in 1912 and still has the same facade.
luna park.jpg

I lived nearby about 25 years ago and could hear the screams of the people on the big dipper to the point where it just became background noise :lol:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up close to Carowinds on the NC/SC border, so I've been there quite a few times. I've also been to Dollywood in PIgeon Forge, TN, which was fun!

I've always wanted to go to Disney World, but never have (I always got shocked looks from classmates growing up). I would only want to go to Animal Kingdom and Epcot, though. I think Busch Garden and Six Flags would be cool.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to several. Disney (Orlando), Universal Studios (Orlando), Marine Land (Niagara Falls), Canada's Wonderland (Toronto), African Lion Safari (Hamilton), Santa's Village (Bracebridge)..and I think a few other one's but can't remember.
Overall, I think Universal Studios was the best , but it was because the rides were all so different, and not all of them were roller coasters, but still thrilling. Wonderland, will always hold a special place in my heart, but it's the several class trips and "teen getaways" that made it special. And of course, Santa's village....I don't know a single person who has not visited Santa's village at least once in their childhood. I don't remember much of it, but thought it was so cool that Santa has a theme park. I remember the reindeer coaster and the jungle gym with climbing rope ladders...I know it's changed quite a bit over the last few decades, it would be cool to go there again and see what it's like now.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Scared of all rides other then Merry Go Round but yet I can go through unexplored caves where parts you crawl on your stomach and need to be careful or you could fall to your death. I doubt at my age I could do that now but it was a lot of fun back when I was in my teens and twenties.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they were fun when i was a kid :lol: but paying around a 100 bux per ticket now to stand in lines all day along with not having kids of my own just isnt worth it to me no more might go to dinseyland knotts berry farm and magic mountain after this covid stuff ends when my cousin visits with her lil kids

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been to Disneyland and DisneyWorld, plus Universal Studios. My hometown has a theme park called Valleyfair that I've been to many times (not really a big fan, but their halloween event is fun) Edit: oh yeah, then there's what is now Nickelodeon Universe in the Mall of America that I've also been to many times since I used to work at MoA.

I haven't been to any of the main theme parks in Korea (LotteWorld and Everland) but I think the best experience I've had was at this tiny little themepark near the border with North Korea in an area called Cheorwon (I think the park is called Goseokjeong Land). Me and a couple of friends were at a music festival called the DMZ Peacetrain festival and it was next to this little park which was run by a family. They gave us a discount on the rides since hardly anyone was riding them. We went on the swings and the viking ship a few times. Each time the Viking Ship swung, this really concerning screeching noise came from the hinges. It was definitely a surreal experience, but a really great memory.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We love theme parks! We've been to Kennywood, King's Island, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens, Six Flags in NJ, Disney, Cedar Point, Hershey to name a few. Always for the coasters. Always. We spend the entire day going from coaster to coaster. Love those roller coasters.

The worst coaster I was on was the Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens. I was on it once, got off, and said "No more!" Usually after you've ridden a coaster once or twice, you can tell where the worst spots are in the ride and can adjust for them. With the Drachen Fire? The whole thing was very rough. When quite a few people got off the ride, they would sit on the ground with their heads between their knees, it was that bad. People were actually getting sick from it. Rick and our son rode it several times, but I wouldn't get back on it. It wasn't too long til they shut it down.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not my thing at all. I've only been to two.. the old Luna Park in Melbourne when I was really small, and Ocean Park, Hong Kong Island when I lived there.
Luna Park is a classic.. built in 1912 and still has the same facade.
View attachment 364913
I lived nearby about 25 years ago and could hear the screams of the people on the big dipper to the point where it just became background noise :lol:
Ha..I was working about 20 meters to the left of those palm trees on a vandalized digital screen this New Years eve.
Not one for theme parks but been to this one a few times.Things like Sea World are more my thing..got a pic somewhere of a seal sitting on my lap.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We took our kids to Santa's Village when they were young and they loved it. I've been to Six Flags Great America several times with friends and family. I much prefer Navy Pier because it's right on the lake and has other attractions besides rides. Let's just say amusement parks would not be my first choice for recreation. 😉

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. I can no longer go on rides but I liked the water rides best.
My mother-in-law live in Sandusky! I cannot ride anything because of my heart conditions and my husband hates places like that, but most of their family loves going, especially his third brother and his wife. They get passes every year.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually just go to the Fairs now. We used to travel to theme parks when I was a kid. I would go for the food, animals, and shows/concerts. I probably wouldn't go on rides anymore. Parc Safari in Canada and Six Flags were pretty good.