Question of The Day. Saturday 29th of May

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

What's your "energising" music at the moment? What do you put on when you're exercising or when you need something to get you going in the morning?

I've had Moby playing over and over again these past few days. This song is my favourite jogging music, it's great for keeping me going when I go out for a run.  

I mean, how can anyone stay still to this?! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it the 28th? :confused: Or am I just losing it :lol3:

Energizing music... well, I'm a huge fan of punk rock, but generally anything I can SING to energizes the most. Which means knowing the songs pretty well. Which for me is often Green Day :D However, back when I first started working for my company, and I had to be at the office at 4:30am (which meant waking up at 2am) I'd listen to Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" (as I was going through a break-up that really did get complicated) and Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl". The latter really used to get me going - I'd just belt it out while I was getting dressed :lol3:

As far as exercising... when I was training for a 15k a few years back, I had a whole bunch of songs on there, but the ones I found that were best (for running anyway) were songs by Voltaire. It wasn't too fast (which worked well for me). Voltaire has what I call a "gothic folk" kinda sound to it. He doesn't really fit into any particular genre. Cool fact though - he one time posted on his FB wall asking people to describe his music. Someone came up with some really long description that Voltaire loved SO much, he used that description as the name of his next album!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
In particular, the song that I ESPECIALLY liked while running was called "Graveyard Picnic". It sounds like a depressing song but well, it's not really. You have to understand the artist I think :D Anyway, there's a line in the song that says "dead leaves in the trees all around you", and that line played right as I was running amongst a bunch of trees in late October in the forest preserve, with a bunch of leaves on the ground. I have no words to describe the feeling that went through me when that happened, but it gave me the energy to get through the rest of my 8-mile run!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very dull. I don't listen to music anymore. I used to, especially when I was doing my thing in the kitchen many many many years ago, and at work. We had my radio there and on music all the time. Now I can't be bothered.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually listen to  the older classic Rock, I am 60 after all.  To show how behind the times I am, when I hear Voltaire I think of the French writer and philosopher,

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I usually listen to  the older classic Rock, I am 60 after all.  To show how behind the times I am, when I hear Voltaire I think of the French writer and philosopher,
 Classic rock here, too. What else would Voltaire mean??? (Never mind, I googled it; that's the first time I ever heard of that Voltaire.)

(Although I'm still on that Prince kick. I don't know, there's something about walking to When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette; they have a good walking beat and I enjoy that.)

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Classic Rock here too, although I love a little hard rock too at times, although I'm sure they are 'classic' now too! I absolutely love Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent, and all Aerosmith and Eagles. Throw in a little Guns and Roses and my day is made! I'm balanced out by my husband loving Big Band  and swing music, but I catch myself singing all the time to a lot of his, especially Dean Martin. Frank Sinatra. and Jim Reeves!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My co-worker and I were talking about music yesterday. I asked him if he had any Bon Jovi, saying that I thought I could really walk-out to some good Bon Jovi songs. He said he thought had a couple CDs (my Bon Jovi music is only on cassettes, that's how old I am 
 and I have no way to get the music from cassettes to my computer).

So I got this text from Bob this morning: "Eight BJ CDs will be on your desk this morning." Holy crap! 8 CDs? I'm going to be busy tonight, transferring all that music to my computer! And it looks like I'll be starting a Bon Jovi walking kick! Which will make Rick happy; he's really tired of hearing Prince roaring out of the basement. 

But that's what I do.....I get on these music kicks where I only listen to one group forever. Then even I get so tired of the songs that I have to switch to something else. I think I listened to Dire Straits for a good year (I have, I think, 10 Dire Straits/Knopfler CDs, so there's a good variety even there) and then switched back to Aerosmith for a while. Then I hit Prince for the last six weeks or so. And now Bon Jovi.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the new treadmill has an iPod jack and speakers. So not only am I listening to the music; unfortunately Rick has to, too. And don't even mention turning the volume down. If it's not loud, it doesn't work, not for exercise. 

The other morning I went upstairs after my walk and Rick was in the bedroom getting dressed for work. And I heard, "Little red Corvette. Baby, you're much too fast" coming out of his mouth. I just smiled.

Last edited: