Question Of The Day. Saturday 29th Of July.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

It's almost the end of July! Where did that month go?

It's been raining a lot here recently, so I've been killing time by sorting through some old photos. I've been meaning to make a big collage of old photos and put it a frame for a few years now, but I keep putting it off and telling myself I'm still in the "collecting" stage.

I actually still have half of the photos from my last long back-packing trip in a storage box. I managed to put half of them in an album, then ran out of steam and went off on a ten year yoga break or something.

:rolleyes:

Photos of my sister's wedding in 2014 are still waiting to be printed out too.

:paperbag:

What do you do with your photos? Do you print them out into albums, put them into frames or store them all on your computer?

I love seeing photos in frames or albums and I have so many good intentions, but I never get round to displaying photos the way I plan to.

How about you?

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome question!! I love photos and have a tote full of them. I'm like you, a lot of great intentions, but.....

I made my son a huge collage of his entire life to date for his birthday last year and he absolutely loves it. I keep saying I'm going to do more of that. I also keep saying I'm going to buy some of those digital picture frames and scan that whole tote and put a different category on each frame.

Hasn't happened yet. lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Nowadays I just store them on my computer and in the cloud, though I did get photos of Jamie and Mowgli printed and framed. In the days before digital cameras most photos ended up in large envelopes. It got so bad that younger family members would sneak some out and put them in frames for me as Christmas or birthday gifts.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago I used to scrapbook, etc. but now I just keep them stored on my computer. I will occasionally print some out and frame them. I do post a lot of them on Facebook also.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back when I was born, my Mum started a photo album for me. To start, she put in a pic of her parents, Dad's parents, one of her and Dad as children, their wedding pic, my birth announcement. Then she just kept going, album after album. Eight years later my brother was born, and she started for him. He got all the above, plus one pic of me at age 8 years and then HIS birth announcement. During all of this, she was also maintaining her own set of albums.

Once I was a teen, I took over my album maintenance. I have over 30 albums! (My bro did not keep his up.) Since I now live in the house where I was born and raised, I have ALL the albums: Mum's, mine, and bro's (for about 11 years).

Then about 2007, I got my first digital camera. Still, I got prints and kept up with albums. But at some point, life got hectic. I have about 2 years of prints to post in albums, and about 6 years which have not even been printed! So those 6 years are just stored on computer and backup drives.

I lost a group of photos when a computer died, so now I keep everything in multiple places, to prevent that from happening again. Pics are stored on my laptop and desktop, on photobucket, and then I have the 2 back up drives which I keep is separate parts of the house!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I never thought about this until you brought it up but I actually miss taking pics with my camera and going to the store to get them developed. :camera: I would be excited to pick them up and see how they came out. Now I just click away on my phone and, as others said, store them on my computer. If it's a special occasion like a graduation, wedding, or fantastic pet pic I will print them. Otherwise they're somewhere out there in the cloud. :wink:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Our photos are on the computer/cloud, too, but although we do backups of backups, I worry that formatting or something will change and all those priceless photos will become inaccessible. Prints may always be the best way to go.

We're also thinking of an offsite backup for our photos and other valuable information. It doesn't have to be with a business, in fact, it's better not to be in some ways because business vanish. We're considering a friend or relative, someone not near us, so if there's a flood or other disaster, they'll be safe.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything taken in the past oh, say 10 years or so, is on the computer.

I don't really have many that are paper anymore, sadly. For one thing, being as I have 2 ex's, I had no desire to be the one who kept wedding pix of either of those two. I do have a small (packed) box or 2 in the attic which I make Tom bring now sometimes to paw through.

As for albums/scrap books sheesh no. Our luck one of us would spill a glass of something on them.

Old family photos (including many from family before they immigrated to the USA) reside with my sister who happened to be the only one when my second parent died that had a home and a safe place to store them. Decades later. she still has possession of them. I did copy some of them but very few so far.

EDIT TO ADD: Nearly everything I shoot in the past few years goes to Instagram, which sends it to Twitter and Flickr. My Flickr is the main storage for everything (the computer has a lot more but it's also many which will never see the light of day on social media) I also post to Facebook now and then. AbbysMom AbbysMom reminded me when she wrote that above.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine are in tubs. Some are on the computer, but one is in a frame on my wall.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've recently lost a hard drive full of photos to the clicking death. The laptop I had them backed up on died last year due to a drinks incident stupidly I did not transfer any of those files on to the replacement. I really would like to recover those photos. I may have to invest in cloud storage for the rest. I have physical photos allover my house but I do always think I must get them all scanned on. Photographs used to be so precious because it was expensive to get film developed and now it's so easy to snap hundreds of pictures and not apply any care to them at all.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i store my photos, taken with a digital camera, on my computer as well as photo bucket.

a relatively easy way to 'store' important to you photos is to attach them to emails, then send them over to another of your email accounts. even if your computer dies, you'll still be able to access your email accounts on another computer or other devices.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i store my photos, taken with a digital camera, on my computer as well as photo bucket.

a relatively easy way to 'store' important to you photos is to attach them to emails, then send them over to another of your email accounts. even if your computer dies, you'll still be able to access your email accounts on another computer or other devices.
I store the important ones on a flash drive or burn to a cd. Much easier for me.