Question Of The Day. Saturday 28th Of April.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday.

:hyper:

It's the first day of Golden Week in Japan. That's a long holiday for most people, but an even greater reason not to leave the house for me. This area is really popular with tourists and so many people come here to look at the lake and enjoy the scenery in the spring. I'm not good with crowds.....:paranoid:

What's the area you live in famous for?

We've got the lakes, lots of forests, caves, that big old volcano and some really picturesque old villages. There's also fruit picking, wine tasting, hiking, hand gliding and bird watching.

I guess I see why so many people want to come here on their days off.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The State (not my area though) has the Grand Canyon and Saguaro National Forest.
My area (some miles north) has the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- 1000 Islands. Throw in a castle, built by a husband in 1900 for his wife but the wife tragically died before it was completed. He would later abandon the property over heartbreak.
- Kingston Penitentiary Museum. Long history, with riots, serial killers etc some folks might have heard of Russell Williams, for example!
- Kingston in general was Canada's capital before Ottawa. Also the early residence of Sir John A McDonald, Canada's first prime minister. And, The Tragically Hip.
- Tulip Festival in Ottawa and lot's of other festivals, alongside places like Parliament Hill, Rideau Canal and some great huge military, art and nature museums.
- A tad farther away by a couple of hours, but Algonquin Park.
- Laurier House, home to Prime Ministers Wilfred Laurier and Mackenzie King.
- Diefenbunker Cold War Museum.
- Also a couple of Canada's oldest public outdoor markets
- Saunders Farm, and lot's of ghost walks and tours.
- Avril Lavigne was born nearby :lol:

Also plenty of white water rafting, bungee jumping, hiking, cycling and kayaking in the area.

I sort of live in between cities, thus my multiple mentions in a general area that is Eastern Ontario :lol:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My town is only a small London suburb but it's most famous for James Corden referring to it as "the armpit of England" (it's really not that bad!) on his Late Late Show. There was a high profile murder in one of the town pubs a few years ago and our drama school has had a few actors who have made it on tv.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is nothing for tourists in Columbus Oh. We are close to a large Amish community with all of the things that go with an Amish community. We do have an Amish furniture store in Columbus but that is more than I want to pay for furniture. The furniture is worth the money, good quality solid wood furniture. If it is cared for it could pass down through several generations before needing restoration work.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing! Unless you want to look at corn, lol. Well, Sioux Falls has their titular waterfalls, but I don't think anyone comes to the area just to see them.

And there's the Corn Palace in Mitchell, which is held up as a tourist attraction but I really hope nobody goes too far out of their way to see it. Look at a picture, that's all there is to it. There isn't even anything inside except the community basketball court. And Mitchell is super boring otherwise. Except they have a Cabela's, which is pretty cool.

The other side of the state is where all the tourist attractions are. Black Hills, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, etc.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the DC area. Monuments and Cherry Blossoms. The monuments are beautiful at night and the cherry blossoms take your breath away.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The city I live in right now is known for hoity-toity rich people (which I am definitely not). I work in the next city over from Paisley Park (where Prince lived in case you didn't know).

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We're having a tourist weekend here, too. The Big Sur marathon is tomorrow so there are tons of people in town.

We have the Aquarium, Cannery Row, Big Sur, Carmel, the fabulous Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary...no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce, :lol: I just love this place. :)

And there's the Corn Palace in Mitchell, which is held up as a tourist attraction but I really hope nobody goes too far out of their way to see it.
:flail: I had to look it up. But hey, it isn't just 'the' Corn Palace, it's the 'The World's Only Corn Palace'! That's got to count for something. :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Citrus. Oh it smells SO good here when the orange blossoms come in. The scent is almost intoxicating. :cloud9:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure I've been to the corn palace.

If I told you what my town is known for, you'd probably be able to figure out where I live. :confused:

As far as Chicago itself. It's known for...well...um... You know what? I love it despite the bad rep it gets. We have great museums, a beautiful lake shore and a lot of pride. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Crystaldj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We start with the tulip festival every year, with huge fields of tulips up in Skagit county. They are gorgeous! Other than that, we have rivers, lakes and salt water bays, rugged mountains, 5 volcanoes in a pretty small area (Mt St Helens is pretty famous, she blew her top in May 1980), lots of fishing and hunting, very moderate temperatures, a small earthquake here and there, and we even have our own small rainforest. And vampires too, because Forks (where Bella Swan and Edward Cullen lived - and became famous) is not very far from me. I lived there too, back in the 70s. I live in a very diverse and interesting area and I love it here. It where I call home :catrub:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you know, the odd wee festival; arts; literature; comedy; Arthur Conan Doyle; Robert Louis Stevenson; Jekyll & Hyde; Burke & Hare, murderers, bodysnatching, dark n dangerous times; ghosts, lots of ghosts; pioneering human anatomy autopsies; medical experiments, the University; Deacon Brodie; Dolly the 1st cloned sheep; Adam Smith's economics; the Castle, Palace, and the Royal Mile that links them; Witch burning; public hangings and the last ever public hanging in Britain; Tenements, 16thC slums, Georgian architecture; Botanic Gardens; Royal yacht Britannia; the Darien Scheme that nigh on ended us; the port of Leith that brought everything to these isles from afar and still does to a great extent; John Knox and the Reformation, Mary Queen of Scots, the British Royal family (who started off as Stuarts); discovery of chloroform as an anaesthetic (there's a statue in town); train station named after the fictional book: Waverley; Sir Walter Scott and his humongous monument; Trainspotting, drugs; JK Rowling and Harry Potter; Greyfriar's Bobby; Princes Street (think it's the world's longest one sided shopping street), bagpipers and kilt shops; the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Murial Spark; the printing press; Arthur's Seat (huge extinct volcano in the middle of everywhere), hills; Scottish Parliament; The Scottish Enlightenment which enlightened every other single person on the planet, the list goes on and on and on and on, quite literally. Everything and everyone, seemingly.

:thumbsup:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Naperville isn't really known for anything except its Riverwalk, which is a landscaped, paved walkway for a mile or so on the river in the middle of town. There are even a couple of covered bridges.

I grew up in the Washington, DC, area. We hated tourists because they were always in the way. But, I and my high school friends were shocked when we moved away and discovered museums charged admittance. The Smithsonian doesn't; it's free. :p

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As far as Chicago itself. It's known for...well...um... You know what? I love it despite the bad rep it gets. We have great museums, a beautiful lake shore and a lot of pride. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
:yeah: And don't forget the talented and incredible Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Civic Opera House, Navy Pier, the Art Institute, Frank Lloyd Wright home/studio, and last but not least, Chicago Riverwalk. My kind of town! :wink:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
This area is famous for...cigarettes. The town I grew up in 20 miles north of here has two major brands named after it. :dunno: