Question Of The Day. Saturday 24th Of February.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning. This question was asked by one of my students today. A junior high school kid who may have got himself in trouble for doing something like this.....

:noway:

Did you ever knock off school/play hooky when you were a kid? Why? Did you get caught? What happened?

One of my best friends and I used to disappear whenever we were supposed to have field hockey practice. Neither of us were particularly sporty and field hockey is dangerous! All those hard wooden sticks and solid balls being whacked around the place. It's a wonder no one got seriously hurt.

My friends house used to back onto our school playing field, so we'd sneak through a gap in the hedge and hide in her house, watching day time TV until the end of the games lesson. I think we managed to get away with it for well over a year without anyone noticing. One of the perks of not being good at a sport is that no one misses you if you're not there on the team.

:insertevillaugh:

How about you? Any successful truant artists out there?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. When I first started having migraines, I missed almost all of my sixth grade. They allowed me to pass to seventh grade only because I did so well on exams and kept up with homework. But I don't remember much about sixth grade at all. I loved school and I loved learning. So no, I didn't skip. Even after Rick and I got married and I was a junior in HS, I didn't skip.

Now our son, OTOH.....oh, the stories I could tell you about that child! I remember once when he skipped a day, he was to get an award at the awards program. And he wasn't there. One of the teachers remarked to my MIL that it was a real shame he wasn't at school that day. Of course, my MIL called me. And I said, "Why, he was at school!" Hung the phone up and went outside; he was in the pool. Sat down in the chair and said, "So son of mine, where were you yesterday?" He looked at me and said, "Crap!" Got out of the pool and we had a chat. He was grounded for two weeks, not so much because he skipped school, but because he didn't tell me.

We were just talking about that not too long ago. He told our DIL that he never got away with much because he always got caught. Evidently, I have a sixth sense about these things, along with eyes in the back of my head. I've never told him that a teacher ratted him out; I prefer to have him think that his mom is a very mysterious mom who knows all. :lol:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes :)

I started doing it at the age of 14-15. I sneaked out for a lunch break, while I was supposed to remain in school for lunch. That was quite easy to do. Most of the time I met with youths from other schools in nearby parks and pubs in Bruxelles.
A few times I decided not to go back to school after the lunch break, and that was more risky, because I had to rely on the loyalty and the ability of my classmates to give a convincing explanation for my absence. But - lucky me - they've never let me down.

I got caught ones, when I was seen by a teacher in a pub in front (!!!) of the school. My parents were informed and mom had a conversation with the headmistress in my presence. A very embarrassing moment...

The year after I got caught, I was old enough to be allowed to go out for lunch and the urge to play truant from school disappeared.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
During my senior year in high school I had a study hall during second period which began about 9:15am.
We (some friends) went to the same restaurant every day for breakfast and never got caught.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I was a "good girl" who listened to what the parents said (looking back, I had no choice not to). I wasn't a rebel like some kids I knew were.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was different for me because I did my highschool online. I did play hooky from it for about a year behind my parents back. Lol I was running around with guys that's why.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not directly, persay. I did fake being sick with the flu during Elementary school to avoid going a couple of times (I was being badly bullied at the time, so I was pretty miserable at school) I would do things like put the thermometer in hot water for awhile :lol: I'm pretty sure my parents clued in, but gave me the respite anyway.

Then in HS, when you turn 18, you are able to sign yourself out of a class without needing a parent - I did that once on a Friday afternoon since my friends and I were going on a weekend trip. But that was an official thing and my principle knew. All my schoolwork was taken care of.

I wasn't interested in being "bad" and I cared greatly about going to university, so getting good grades and the like was important to me. I've known many other students who played hookie, acted like the didn't care, rebelled etc in the end they reeaaallly got themselves screwed over! :flail: they weren't so cool anymore.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My niece is going to be that kid but my brother and I never were.

With my brother, my Mom said that if she found out he ditched she'd go to class with him for a week after. Seriously. She did it once the one time he tried. She sat in the back of every class he had and walked him to his next class. He never tried it again.

With me, since I never really tried to ditch and did well, my senior year she pretended to drive me to school and instead took me out for the day at a local apple area. She did ask first if I had anything due or tests that day. Had lunch, picked apples and was home like normal. I am sure my dad knew but at the time we just pretended like I did go to school that day.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No. I was a "good girl" who listened to what the parents said (looking back, I had no choice not to). I wasn't a rebel like some kids I knew were.
Ditto, me too but I'm not ashamed of it. I raised my children the same way and if they did play hooky they certainly didn't tell me. :wink: However, when I got to college I found my newfound freedom. ;)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Eek, well, ahem, yes. I did it all the time from the age of about 11 until I left school completely at age 15. I used to sometimes go into school for registration and then walk out afterwards. The most I was at school was on a Friday because then I could go out at the weekend without being pulled up about it. I would watch James Bond videos over and over again, wishing that I were a spy. My brother also used to skip school. We weren't tearaways at that young age (I grew into being a tearaway when I was about 14), in fact we were very sweet and well-behaved. I even liked school but skipping it so often had a knock on effect for things like Spanish, which I stopped going to all together because it was all gobbledygook. I had a very strange childhood though, it must be said, very strange indeed.

Turned out alrightish though. :freak:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning. This question was asked by one of my students today. A junior high school kid who may have got himself in trouble for doing something like this.....

:noway:

Did you ever knock off school/play hooky when you were a kid? Why? Did you get caught? What happened?

One of my best friends and I used to disappear whenever we were supposed to have field hockey practice. Neither of us were particularly sporty and field hockey is dangerous! All those hard wooden sticks and solid balls being whacked around the place. It's a wonder no one got seriously hurt.

My friends house used to back onto our school playing field, so we'd sneak through a gap in the hedge and hide in her house, watching day time TV until the end of the games lesson. I think we managed to get away with it for well over a year without anyone noticing. One of the perks of not being good at a sport is that no one misses you if you're not there on the team.

:insertevillaugh:

How about you? Any successful truant artists out there?
Nope. First of all, I would not have gotten away with it. Second, I never understood the point. I wanted to get in, get it over with and get out. Unexcused absences led to after school suspension which meant spending even more time at a place I hated with people I hated even more. No thank you. :headshake:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only a few times when a senior. A girlfriend and I used to skip History class a couple of times, and we would go to a particular restaurant that served deep dish, pan-style large chocolate chip cookies topped with spumoni ice cream. Who could resist?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to small, private schools until I was a sophomore... too small to get away with it, and the punishments were not worth it. By the time I was a sophomore and moved to the public schools, I was in the habit of good attendance. I was so responsible that my dad had no qualms about letting me have a car by the earliest point that I was license eligible. This actually made me one of the cool kids, because I could drive my friends around. If I ever needed to skip a class, I usually did it with prior permission... which was usually granted, because I always did my homework and got good grades.

Now, all that is only in relation to skipping class. It does not mean I wasn't a smart@55... I was sent to detention more than a few times for mouthing off to certain teachers that I felt were intolerable.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, quite a bit in high school. I was bullied constantly, and every day. The sad thing was, I loved learning, but some days, the abuse was too much for me. My Mom wouldn't do anything to help, the school wouldn't do anything to help, so, some days, I deliberately missed the bus, and sat in the graveyard, sketching and reading all day, until the bus came, then I'd walk home with the other kids. I was such a quiet kid in school, the teachers didn't even notice that I was gone. The pressure and abuse at home and at school just got to me sometimes. I had an abusive father, a doormat mother, and the kids in school used to spit on me when I walked down the hall, or throw things at me in the school parking lot. I am not exaggerating when I say this was all day, every single day of high school. They even made fun of me at my graduation rehearsal. God, it was AWFUL. I hated being a teenager.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it never crossed my mind to.
It crossed my mind to skip school many times because I wanted to be cool like the rest of the kids in my class but no one ever believed me. I even started smoking so I could be bad but no one paid me any mind.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. First of all, I would not have gotten away with it. Second, I never understood the point. I wanted to get in, get it over with and get out. Unexcused absences led to after school suspension which meant spending even more time at a place I hated with people I hated even more. No thank you. :headshake:
i got to the point during high school, that i hated the place and the people so much that i skipped school very often. i did get caught...and got this -- :yelling: . as soon as i was old enough i quit school and got a GED.

the thing is, i love to learn. i simply hated school itself. i ended up taking accounting courses in a business school, and did very well -- graduated at the top of my class. i got a job in accounting within a month after i graduated.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only once and I felt guilty. I don't even remember the reason why I skipped school that day, but I do remember being scared I'd get caught. Being out was not worth the mental stress lol