Question of The Day. Saturday 24th of April.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, let's talk about water today.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

What's the water like in your area? Do you drink the tap water or do you buy bottled? Do you have to filter or boil your water before you can use it? Do you store water for emergencies?

The water here is very good. In fact, if you ever buy Fuji Spring water the stuff that comes in the bottles is exactly the same as the stuff that comes out of our taps. I never buy bottled water, but I have four big plastic bottles full of tap water in the cupboard, just in case our water ever gets shut off.

What's your water like?

🚰🚱

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been drinking bottle water ever since I moved to my house 25 years ago.I didn't like the taste of the water. My cats also got bottle water. They loved the bottle water. One time I brought a jug of Dear Park and there was a little black fish in the jug. I won't buy Dear Park anymore. I still have my brother get me bottle water here at Assisted Living. I just cannot bring myself to drink tap water anymore.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our tap water is fine. I use it in the sodastream. We do have a filter and water dispenser on the fridge, so we'll use that, too.

I like buying flavored water, which is most of the bottled ir canned water I buy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We drink bottled, fridged water on hot days, our water here is awful. It smells like a swimming pool when watering plants, and tastes like it too. Our water was full of nitrates from farming around here and has long thought to be a source of the many cancers this area gets. We have a new city water system now, but pay dearly for it! We have one of those newer Reverse Osmosis machines under our sink, it is one gallon to one gallon ratio in making the pure water, compared to 5 gallons to one in the old. It also has an ultra violet light and puts back minerals it takes out. Much faster recovery and putting out the water too. I highly recommend Home Master artesian full contact RO system!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tap water is of good quality - on the hard side, so to stop things furring up, I filter it to make tea and coffee and for the cat fountains. Although, when the family visit, they are happy to drink tap water, most German visitors only drink bottled water. I buy packs of small bottles (sparkling and plain) and keep them in the second fridge in the cellar. The fridge in my kitchen (European and small) is not big enough to store larger quantities of water.

Recently, in an effort to drink more water and increase my intake of magnesium, I started using this very cold bottled water to dissolve the tablets and, for some reason, I am no longer happy to use tapwater. Is it the temperature or the taste :dunno: ?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, we lived on well water...it was the best! Now I'm on city water....and it's OK. I used to drink bottled water when I first moved to city water because the shock of the different taste was disgusting to me at first. But for environment and $$ I started drinking tap water again. Our water is pretty hard so I need to save up to get a softener.
I don't keep any extra water on hand for emergencies...there would have to be a really serious disaster for me to not be able to get my hands on any...Even if the whole water plant were to blow up, and we couldn't use the city water, I could just go to my Dad's and fill up on the well water. Or better yet...Just drive a point in my yard....our water table is really high around here and water is easily accessible...some have actually hit water at only 6 feet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tap water quality is fine. . .a little high on nitrates, which means fertilizer :/. But still within the required parameters. My tap water doesn't even taste that bad, but it does have a slight off taste that would keep me from drinking enough if I drank it plain. So I buy RO drinking water from Walmart/the grocery store. They have a dispenser where I refill gallon jugs. So I don't drink bottled water exactly, but also not regular tap water. If I'm going to add a flavor I'll use tap water.

The tap water in the town my parents live in (and where I lived as a teenager) tastes BAD. So bad that I can't even use it for coffee or adding flavor to. I don't know why 25 miles makes such a difference :dunno: . The parameters look fine though, it's just a taste issue.

I just bought a home RO unit but am having trouble getting it installed. It seemed fairly straightforward but I think someone messed up on installing the sink because I can't figure out how to get the cold water line disconnected from it. A lot of this house was DIY and he did some very weird things.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tap water quality is fine. . .a little high on nitrates, which means fertilizer :/. But still within the required parameters. My tap water doesn't even taste that bad, but it does have a slight off taste that would keep me from drinking enough if I drank it plain. So I buy RO drinking water from Walmart/the grocery store. They have a dispenser where I refill gallon jugs. So I don't drink bottled water exactly, but also not regular tap water. If I'm going to add a flavor I'll use tap water.

The tap water in the town my parents live in (and where I lived as a teenager) tastes BAD. So bad that I can't even use it for coffee or adding flavor to. I don't know why 25 miles makes such a difference :dunno: . The parameters look fine though, it's just a taste issue.

I just bought a home RO unit but am having trouble getting it installed. It seemed fairly straightforward but I think someone messed up on installing the sink because I can't figure out how to get the cold water line disconnected from it. A lot of this house was DIY and he did some very weird things.
On the farm, we had good well water. When we sold out and moved, our well and our next door neighbor's were okay, but the people across the road from us had awful sulfur water- it came out of the faucet black. They only used it to flush the toilet, and carried buckets of water from an outside faucet on the neighbor's garage for everything else. Their well was only about 50 yards or so from ours. Man, did that water stink up their house!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Our city water is okay except for requiring a water softener for rust and minerals. I use it for cooking but use bottled water for the coffee machine or drinking. I do usually have three or four gallons of water in the pantry so there is some if needed for an emergency.

Once In a while I buy some Fuji water. It is the best tasting bottled water but so expensive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our tap water comes from Lake Michigan and I've been drinking it all my life. It tastes fine to me. Like Jem Jem I try to avoid bottled water and only keep a spare bottle in the car in case I forget to take my own bottle from home. I do, however, keep a gallon or two of our tap water in the fridge for emergencies.

Tobermory

β€œWhat greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We drink tap water or use the water dispenser in the fridge. It tastes fine. I do, however, have two cases of bottled water as well as some gallon containers of waterβ€”and I plan to get more. We live in earthquake country.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have hard water here and have a water softener plus filters on the shower heads. We have a reverse osmosis filter in the kitchen so we can drink the tap water which tastes like chlorine otherwise.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink tap water but I run it through a Brita pitcher and keep it in my fridge. I rarely buy bottled water. It is such a waste of money and then also the excess plastic use doesn't seem necessary to me.