Question of The Day. Saturday 23rd of November.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry for the late Q of the Day today. I've had a crazy busy week at work.

:runaround:

Do you remember your first job? What was it? Did you enjoy it? What were the worst parts of it?

My first ever job was volunteering at a local riding stables. I loved it! It was hard work, especially in the winter when I had to get up at 7 am and walk in the snow to catch the ponies from their field. I learnt a lot about horses though, and I got paid in rides so that was good.

The first paid job I ever had was working in a department store restaurant. It was not fun. I had to wear a horrid brown uniform and clean up after messy weekend diners every afternoon. The only good thing was that I got paid in cash for it.

:lol:

How about you?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My first job was as a kitchen slave at our local hospital. It was the slaves' job to take the meal carts up to the various floors so the nurses could serve the meals to the patients. And then bring the carts back down to the kitchen and run all the dishes through the huge dishwasher. I worked after school during the week and 3-4 hours on weekends.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My frist job was when I was thirteen and it was at Daisy Queen, a ice cream place like dairy Queen in a stand alone little building. i was paid 50 cents/hour (boy that ages me, 1969) and had to sweep, clean machines, and serve customers. the only thing good about it was I got free icecream, thank goodness I was skinny back then! I did reach my objective though, my first pair of contacts, which my mom refused to buy. I got rid of those awful, coke bottle glasses! Still wearing rigid gas permeable contacts! (much easier and far better to remove and insert than soft)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you count farm chores as a job, it was gathering eggs and shoveling out the gutters in the cow barn. If not, then it was when I was 14 and working at a local gas station/ auto repair garage
The work was interesting, and I learned a lot that well-served me later on in life. The hardest part was getting used to getting my hands dirty, but I did a lot of that in my working years. .

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember your first job? What was it? Did you enjoy it? What were the worst parts of it?
My first job as a teenager was a babysitter. I loved it, but it didn't pay much, just $1.50 an hour and I used to spend almost my entire paycheck on the kids! I would bring them to McDonalds or to the mall and buy them toys. :lol:

My first real job was as a waitress. I hated it! You are on your feet all day and can't sit down. My feet would bleed sometimes. You depend on the tips because taxes take almost your entire paycheck. It was hard.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was as a cashier at a chinese fast food restaurant in Manila, just opposite a university for rich kids. I was also a college student at that time but at a different university although I used to imagine myself studying in that school but my family could not afford it.

So, I promised myself that when I got my own kid, he'd be going in that same school.

My son did. Hardwork paid off. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first paying job was as a nurse's aide in a rest home. That was the summer between high school and college, that changed my mind about being a nurse. Reality is far different from TV. At that time many nursing programs both college and the old hospital nursing programs required that applicants work in a health care setting before being accepted. Didn't have to be paid, it could be as a volunteer. I think that was a good policy, I bet a lot of people did what I did and changed their minds after getting a dose of reality.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked at a nursery nd also did yard work for a friend of my fathers. I was a preteen. My first 'real' job where I had taxes taken out and got a check, not cash on payday was when I was around 14 or 15. I worked after school and weekends at a farm, grading produce. It was hard hot work. Didn't particularly like it but I did like having the money.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked in a community development office during the summer one year in high school. I wasn't interested in working but got pushed and bullied into getting a job by my parents and guidance counselor. I was basically a secretary which I hated because of my extreme anxiety and introvertness. I recall interviewing for another job the guidance counselor found for me but it took over 2 hours by public transportation to get there and I didn't really understand the scope of the job (something about corporate financial banking stuff and maintaining databases). I would have liked a job at a vet hospital or something with animals but the guidance counselor discouraged it :dunno:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was a waitress in high school, but unlike M maggiedemi , I liked it. It was a small, family-owned place in a small town, so I almost always knew the customers. The owner’s sister was the principal’s secretary at my high school, and she made all of the pies and cakes which were scrumptious. With my first job, I felt like a grownup, plus it was great to have some money to spend on records (ah, the days of LPs) and makeup!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first paying job at the age of 14 was wrapping bread in the bakery at Pathmark. Pathmark - Wikipedia

All locations closed 4-5 years ago and now they are down to 1 in Brooklyn. It was an OK job. I got burned a lot. They had a machine with huge rolls of plastic wrap that had a hot metal bar that melted the plastic enough to remove it from the roll and wrap it around the Styrofoam tray the bread was on. We also had a machine that would send the price/description sticker down a hot metal ramp that would heat up the glue so I could stick it onto the item. I was always burning my fingers and forearms. I worked with 3 guys. One in his early 20's and the other 2 in their 30's. I thought they were ancient back then. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Excluding babysitting which I did until throughout my teens, my first job was a car hop at an A&W restaurant. It was the only drive in for miles and really really busy so you were running back and forth taking orders, bringing out orders and picking up trays. But it was a fun job because all my high school friends stopped in and there was a lot of flirting that went on.

My first night was probably the worst one of the whole summer. It was early June and it poured and blew a cold rain all night. All I had was a little eave to huddle under and because of the weather, few customer. The shift felt like it lasted forever. My other worst was dumping a whole tray of root beers onto a driver as I tried to hook the tray to his window.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a camp where we worked in the morning and were supposed to use the camp facilities in the afternoon. I would rather not have done that, as the labor was the things no one else wanted to do. The garbage detail was the coveted job! And we did not get to use the good facilities like the swimming pool much. Maybe not a real job.

My first real job was at Sears. I was at the parts/repair/catalog center. I loved it. I learned so much and the manager was a great guy! We had to get parts for everything Sears made. We had microfiche projectors at each counter station. The customers would point out what they wanted and we would find it or order it. We also did catalog orders and took items in for repair. It was the summer before my first year of college, so it was only for three or four months. Still one of my favorite jobs.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was a dietary aide at a local hospital while I was in high school. I mostly just did behind-the-scenes stuff, such as washing a ton of dishes, working the line to prepare food trays for inpatients, mixing tube feedings, peeling vegetables, etc. I was painfully shy back then, so it worked out quite nicely for me since I didn't have to have much contact with anyone outside our department.

The funny thing is that all these years later, I actually enjoy doing dishes by hand. I guess after you've had to wash dishes for nearly 300 patients a day three times a day, plus all of the people who dined in the hospital cafeteria, washing dishes for our humble little family doesn't seem like that big of a deal. ;)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides random babysitting gigs, my first real job was at a jewelry and gift shop. I really lucked out! I kept that job for almost 10 years thru high school and college, supplementing with a second or third job in the summers.
Seriously, the hardest part of my job was keeping things dusted, and the occasional snob looking for something fancy. I was even encouraged to wear the jewelry while working to show it off! Sparkle sparkle. 💍💎!!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was an OK job. I got burned a lot.

Every friend I had that worked at the cheese plant would always get burned. I don't know what they did there, but I would see them with their arms bandaged. :eek2:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every friend I had that worked at the cheese plant would always get burned. I don't know what they did there, but I would see them with their arms bandaged. :eek2:
Probably wrapping it. The machine we used was a huge roll of plastic wrap and there was a round metal bar at the front that was used to separate the wrap from the roll so it could be wrapped around the item. They probably did the same thing with the cheese. That bar got very hot and it was easy to burn fingers and arms on it. I guess they figured that that was safer than the sharp metal strip found on boxes of plastic wrap and foil.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first real job was at Dairy Queen. I didn't like it. :lol2: But then it's fast food and I'm not even an ice cream fan anyway. My friend worked there and got me an interview. It was a good learning experience for me. From what I know now; most of us who worked there were working more hours than we should have being high school students. I didn't even know I could insist on being off the clock by 9. The smell was the worst part though. Every night I came home smelling like a mixture of something sweet with deep fried oil. :barfgreen:

I didn't work there long. I was staying up till well after midnight every night doing homework and my parents always said school comes first. (At least until we were in college.)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My first real job was at the mall and I was a senior in high school. I worked at Halle's dept. store.
First as the telephone operator,then as a floater.