Question of The Day. Saturday 22nd of August.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The hair disaster that sticks out in my mind was when I was 12 or 13 and tried to deep condition my hair - with most of a bottle of baby oil. It wouldn't wash out with shampoo or vinegar. What finally worked was a large bottle of pure lemon juice.

My hair is thick and curly on the top and very wavy on the sides, with cowlicks all over. I've lost count of the number of bad haircuts I've gotten.

Looking back, I think most of the things I wore in the seventies were fashion disasters!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked with the one sister with whom I still speak. It would seem that the picture is no longer hanging up! I last spoke to my parents 20 years ago, so obviously I have not been inside their house. She went on a picture burning spree shortly after the last time we spoke. There are no know pictures of me in her house. The ones that contain my sisters and me have all been altered so that I am a blur of black marker.

That makes me feel better! Haha! Now, unless someone kept the class picture from fourth grade, that haircut is gone forever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Perms were an invention of the devil I swear
Yep. I don't think perms really suit anyone.
I will not wear short hair. I was completely traumatized by that. Even now, I can't believe she did it.
It was a good 20 years before I ever went back to the hair dressers after my curly bob disaster. I think once you've been through that kind of thing you never forget about it.
That year's school picture was her favorite because she said it was the year she taught me humility. The last time I saw her, it was still on display.
Oh, that's just awful. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
:hugs:
Is it a hair disaster if you start going bald in high school?
Nah. Being bald doesn't look anywhere near as bad as men seem to think it is. If you're going bald just accept it and shave your head. The only unattractive thing about bald men is when they try and hide it with a comb over. Better to look like Vin Diesel than Donald Trump, right?
I checked with the one sister with whom I still speak. It would seem that the picture is no longer hanging up!
That's good to know. And we've all seen pictures of your gorgeous long hair, so that's how we think of you.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
In the mid 90s I had highlighted hair in about 6 shades of blonde and it was nice but I wanted
a change. My hair was to the middle of my back. I got it cut to a chin-length bob that looked really
pretty but I didn't stop there. I had her color it what was supposed to be platinum blond but came
out unfortunately brassy. I knew something was wrong when I walked in the door and my cat Lena
couldn't stop staring at me. About a month later I was at my mother's and Nicole asked why did I
do that to my hair. I asked does it look bad? Mom, Nicole, and Patrick all said yes at the same time.
I asked why didn't you tell me sooner??? They said they didn't want to hurt my feelings. So I lived with
it till the roots were becoming visible and had it fixed.

Leg warmers in the 80s.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. I don't think perms really suit anyone.

It was a good 20 years before I ever went back to the hair dressers after my curly bob disaster. I think once you've been through that kind of thing you never forget about it.

Oh, that's just awful. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
:hugs:

Nah. Being bald doesn't look anywhere near as bad as men seem to think it is. If you're going bald just accept it and shave your head. The only unattractive thing about bald men is when they try and hide it with a comb over. Better to look like Vin Diesel than Donald Trump, right?

That's good to know. And we've all seen pictures of your gorgeous long hair, so that's how we think of you.

Thank you! I actually think that the experience made me a wee bit more vain about my hair when it grew out (My childhood made me a better parent and person, so there is that, too!) It certainly made me have a NEED to have long hair.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My worst hair disaster was when I tried to dye it platinum blonde when I was 19. I always wanted it that yellow blonde. Big mistake. It turned bright redish orange. My grandmother told me that I have to choose ash blonde color. She and I had the same exact color hair.

Worst fashion disaster was the years that I was in sweatpants. I'm finally back into jeans now and will never go back.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It’s amusing how many of our hair horror stories involve perms!

I try to let my kids have a say in their hair styles. I will overrule anything regrettable; but they won’t be able to blame me for something awful. I’ve been cutting DS’s hair since the lockdown started and it looks ok. Not perfect but ok. We could go back to the salon; but he actually said he wanted me to last time. So if he ever complains; I’ll remind him it was his idea! :lol:

My whole wardrobe in elementary school was a fashion disaster. Especially 6th grade. And the years I wore my glasses half way down my nose. I’d rather not relive it! It’s made me particular about h my kids dress too though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. I never, ever let anyone do anything to my hair. Lol I was too afraid of these kinds of stories. I always cut my own hair by trimming since I always kept it long. My mother and father tried to get me to cut it at different times but somehow I managed to convince them to leave it alone. Lol Fashion, well , that did happen. Lol Remember mirror sunglasses? Round lenses? I looked like an alien insect. Yellow anything! I have always been pretty conservative with my clothes but simple so I dodged a few things but Elephant leg pants my mom made me were awful. I’m short and they took over the lower half of my body. :lol: There was a maxi skirt that looked like it was eating me too. Large bright print and wide black patent leather belt! Small people should not wear dominating items of clothing. As I recall, there was a poncho the ate the top half of me too.:flail:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to let my kids have a say in their hair styles. I will overrule anything regrettable
When I was in 3rd grade, one of my classmates and his little brother came back from vacation with full mohawks. The whole thing, shaved on the sides, not the cute fauxhawks kids get now. My classmate got tired of the attention and shaved it off before too long, but the 6-year-old kept his until it grew out. I always thought it was brave of their parents to let them experiment at that young of an age.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was in 3rd grade, one of my classmates and his little brother came back from vacation with full mohawks. The whole thing, shaved on the sides, not the cute fauxhawks kids get now. My classmate got tired of the attention and shaved it off before too long, but the 6-year-old kept his until it grew out. I always thought it was brave of their parents to let them experiment at that young of an age.
Maybe they thought if they let them then; they wouldn’t go crazy as teenagers?

My best friend and her husband had crazy hair in school and the first few years after. All kind of colors and lengths and crazy styles. Including him having a long spiky green mowhawk. (She even shaved her head once; not for any reason but to experience it.) Their oldest is now that age and SOOO tame compared to her parents! Their senior prom picture is hilarious to their kids. And today? Hes bald.:flail: When she had cancer I told her we already knew she could rock the bald look. And she did. 😉

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they thought if they let them then; they wouldn’t go crazy as teenagers?
Yeah, that's the worst part of being a military brat---you don't know how all the kids turned out! In a small town, everybody knows that the wild kid was a wild teen too but then became an accountant, or that the kid with a mohawk turned into a buttoned-down high schooler, etc. But I don't know anything about any of the kids I spent time with :/.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's the worst part of being a military brat---you don't know how all the kids turned out! In a small town, everybody knows that the wild kid was a wild teen too but then became an accountant, or that the kid with a mohawk turned into a buttoned-down high schooler, etc. But I don't know anything about any of the kids I spent time with :/.
That's what facebook is for! :crazy: Although there are some I'm really just fine not connecting with in any way shape or form. :lol:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I will say I was really tame, even with my blue hair and chunky combat boots. I had friends who were wild, but I was always the "safe" friend when they needed a break from that lifestyle. My parents gave me enough freedom of self-expression that I didn't really ever feel the need to go full-on teenage dirtbag on them. I think I lied to them like twice about where I was, I didn't ever do drugs (not that I wasn't offered, just seemed boring to me, lol), and I was everyone's ride home. My older bro was a bit more out there, but even he was pretty mild. Nowadays all my wild friends have kids and are sober and have mom hair and dad bods, some even go to church of their own free will...and here I am...still living on the edge...(mildly)