Question of The Day. Saturday 21st of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello.

:wave3:

It's the Saturday before Christmas, which where I come from is usually the second biggest party night of the year.

:hyper:

Where do you like to go to celebrate? Have friends round to your house, go out to a bar or restaurant, or do you have some other favourite place?

I used to go out a lot more before I moved this far up the mountain. Now any evenings out involve a lot of careful planning as there's no chance I'll ever be able to walk home. :lol: My two best friends have both had babies in the last couple of years, so these days we're more likely to go out for lunch than dinner or drinks. There are some nice places to go for lunch though. I know a couple of curry shops and a snacks&drinks place that sometimes has live music.

I really like it when people come to visit me too. I've got more chance of luring people up here in the summer though, when we can sit outside and have drinks and BBQ.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to go and have a few drinks with friends, but we quit drinking 20 years ago so that ended. We have elderly family now so any visiting is usually by us. A nice afternoon dinner with roast, fried chicken or turkey, and homemade chicken and noodles is the norm now. Our daughter, son in law and grandson live 70 miles away, but we get there pretty often for quick visits. The problem is, WE are getting to be the 'elderly' now, hard to drive at night, and earlier to bed!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we can sit outside and have drinks and BBQ.
Since you're vegetarian, what do you put on the BBQ? Tofu?

I don't party anymore, since I gave up drinking and I go to bed at 10pm now. A nice lunch or dinner at a restaurant would be nice, but we are pretty much snowed in at the moment and it is zero degrees. I probably won't go anywhere much until March. I would love to move into town so I can do more and be near the shops.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to party like it's 1999 around Christmas, but things are different now. If I do Eve then I don't do Day, have to make choices of what I can do and not do. I love Eve at Nicole's. Very low-key with good appetizers, dips, Daniel makes a big pan of chicken legs, Nicole makes our mother's Dill Dip with veggies, and also a double batch of her Sausage meatballs. Always shrimp cocktail.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not much of a party person. I enjoy hosting people at my house the most if a gathering is happening. That way when things get a bit overwhelming, I can hide in the kitchen and scurry about keeping things cleaned and "topped up"- AKA "host" and not have to engage and mingle as much.
I also enjoy going to restaurants and having a meal. Restaurants don't like when you linger too long as they need the tables, so it's nice when he meal is done and everyone's finished their drink or dessert and we all just go our separate ways.
Basically, I like getting together with people, but I can't take it for very long. So I like gatherings where I can retreat and regroup without being rude.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Christmas Day I will be going to my aunt's new house, but that is pretty much the only celebrating I do. I'm going to a concert tonight (I never go to concerts, so this is kind of a big deal), so I took tomorrow off work and I figured I'd also take off Monday, so I don't work again until next Thursday and that will be the only day I work next week.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
There is a great Italian restaurant in town where we like to meet friends for dinner sometimes. If we have people here at the house, I like to make brunch. This year hubby and I are going downtown today to see Christmas on the Wharf and then have lunch. Tomorrow we're going out to brunch with friends.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, everyone is so afraid of creating conflicts for the weekend before Christmas that most parties are held the first or second weekend in December. Too early IMHO.

There is a shortest night of the year celebration at church tonight, and I may go to that. Old Roman traditions of celebrating the winter solstice still go on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I heard on the news that the Saturday before Christmas is the biggest shopping day of the year. But in spite of that I went out to lunch and did a bit of last minute shopping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Since you're vegetarian, what do you put on the BBQ? Tofu?
All my friends and Mr Husband and all his climbing buddies are serious carnivores. They usually take care of the BBQ and I make salads and dips and get some nice bread. I'm more of a talker than an eater, so that works out fine.

Man, you would love it here! Nobody ever comes to visit, they act like I live in Egypt. (30 minutes from town)
Same here! I can understand it in the winter, when the roads might be covered in snow, but it's lovely up here in the summer.

I've been blasting Muse all day....and no one cares.
I could do a naked dance to the winter solstice in my back yard and only the deer would see.

:crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard on the news that the Saturday before Christmas is the biggest shopping day of the year. But in spite of that I went out to lunch and did a bit of last minute shopping.
I went shopping too, and it's no more busy than a regular Saturday. I wonder if the day Christmas falls on makes a difference. Wednesday is a bit awkward.