Question Of The Day. Saturday 1st Of July.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday. It's July already!

How many times have you moved house? Do you expect to move again?

I've lived in 12 houses and 6 flats, so that's 17 moves altogether. I really hope I don't have to move again. We bought this house a few years ago and it will probably have to be pulled down and rebuilt sometime in the next ten years. I'll be staying in the same spot though, I really don't fancy another move.

How about you?

Marasoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
29-30 times since1960. I'm very content where i am now. I don't believe it could be better anywhere else. My eli is happy here too, he has 3 windows for himself and a large screened patio. I arrange the furniture around his needs, of course.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness, a lot.
I think it's up to 15 places that I've lived. I may have forgotten one or two.
I will move at least one more time. My husband and I have no intention of living in NJ once we retire. Taxes are far too high to stay. It's affordable while working but once living off Social Security and investments/savings there is no way I want to toss that much money out every year.

Marasoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lived in N. J. Twice, did'nt like it either time. Originaly from N. Y. . Now in Florida , loving it . Here 12 years. Lord willing this is my last home

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Great question.:thumbsup: I lived in the same house growing up and all through college. The first time I moved was when I got married and it's been only 5 times since then. We've talked about downsizing and moving but since one of our daughters lives on the east coast and the other here in the midwest we will probably stay put for now. However, if I could up and move anywhere it would be to the northwest part of the U.S. I love the outdoors, friendly atmosphere and casual lifestyle there.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have moved 5 times in all . Quite a novice compared to some of you. The longest I lived in one house was 20 years. Ive been in my current home 3 years and have no plans to move again( unless I win the lottery)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say probably around 20. I was in the military for 8 years. I have also moved several times for school and for jobs.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking 18 times. I was born in North Carolina when Dad was in the Marines and my parents came back to PA and moved a few times til they built their house. And one of those times was when I moved back home about two years after Rick and I got married and we couldn't handle being married. I stayed with my parents for about three months, I think, then we did get back together.

I keep saying that I'm moving to Belize the day after I retire, cats and all, but we'll see what happens then.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
After college I moved once out to WI, then moved back home, then moved once more. So 3 times? But I'm only 24 and I don't plan on staying here forever. So I expect at least one more move in the future.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've moved 8 times in my life. I plan to make one more move into a senior apartment and I'm hoping that will be the last time.

Muffy

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think 10-11; depending on if I count the few months at my Grandparent's house when my parents separated when I was 2. I don't know for certain how many places my parents lived together either.

DH and I bought our house 8 years ago last Monday and I might be able to stay here for forever. Especially once our kids are grown. Sometimes the house feels a little small now though. We homeschool at the kitchen table and my desk/office space is in the large room; so it feels like I spend 90% of my awake time in one room of the house. There is no basement for the kids but a big yard. If we had another kid I would be tempted to move. But I'd hate to give up my kitchen and my yard especially! DH and I talk about adding a room and covered patio off the kitchen that could be our school/office/tv free space. Right now the back door opens right up to the table; which makes it awkward when people are eating at the table and coming and going through the door. I would turn the door into a window set and put the new back door off the new room. Things would flow a lot better. And I could leave "the office" at the end of the day. Leave school stuff on display.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never moved. Never. Ever. Unless you count changing from one bedroom to the other in the same house.

My parents bought our home before I was born. I went to college locally and lived at home. After college I was saving up to move out when the economy crashed and I lost my job. I got a low paying job after 6 months and couldn't afford to move out. I am finally at the point where I could probably move out after 5 years. But at this point its more of a why.

I get along with my parents. My cats are happy here. My parents are now retired and gone for a month at a time several times a year. So if I moved out I would just have to come back daily to house sit and cat sit frequently. I pay all cat expenses (including my Moms), utlities and half the groceries as my "rent".

So I am still in the same house I grew up in. Never have moved and not in a rush to.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only moved 6 times, and all within the same state.

I absolutely love it here and have no intention of moving again. Unless of course this heat continues, then maybe somewhere a little cooler. Like Siberia or Greenland. ;)

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only moved 6 times, and all within the same state.

I absolutely love it here and have no intention of moving again. Unless of course this heat continues, then maybe somewhere a little cooler. Like Siberia or Greenland. ;)
I'm in Arizona too. Let's make our next move to Hawaii. Nice temps all year round.

Counting from the first place I lived as a child, I've moved 12 times. All of those moves were to homes in Maryland except for the last one where I live now. I would like to go somewhere cooler but it would have to be mild in winter too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
too many times!!! although, imo moving even once is too many times.

seriously though, if i've counted correctly i've moved 14 times. i don't enjoy moving, though i've gotten it down to more or less 'a science' -- start packing well in advance, and once moved into the new place unpack everything within the first 3 days. i've found that much easier on both my cats and myself.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Twice, unless you count going to a college dorm for 2 semesters.

Once out of my parents house into an apartment.. then from the apartment to my condo. I am perfectly content where I am at with no plans to move.. unless I find the right guy to move out with.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Three. To an apartment when I got married, then to our first house, then to this house.

Marasoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of these stories are interesting. I agree about packing, well in advance. I packed for Florida a year before i actually got here. I only unpacked a couple things during the year because it was taking so long to find a destination. When i finally made the trip all i took was my cat, airbed t.v., & some boxes in a rented suv. Never regreted it. Love Florida

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12 I think, if I counted correctly, and we've lived in this house for around 20 years now. I have no plans to move and I think if I did I'd have to throw half of the stuff out. You can accumulate a lot of junk in 20 years.