Question of The Day. Saturday 15th of October.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

It's starting to get really cold here. Yesterday I spent the evening saying a fond farewell to all my summer clothes, packing them away in boxes and getting my winter wardrobe ready to wear. I've also taken the paraffin stoves out of storage, filled them up and switched them on again. The cold season is coming!

Do you have a different wardrobe for winter and summer? When do you switch them around? And how do you store your clothes when it's not the season to wear them?

I have mine in a trunk with some of those moisture absorbing sachets, but they still smell a bit musty when I unpack them.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear the same clothes all year long. I just wear casual clothes since I retired, mostly jeans and tee shorts. I never could stand long sleeves or sweaters. I get way too hot in them.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In the summer, I wear t-shirts and shorts around the house, with sandals, casual pants, blouses and tops at work. When the cold weather gets here, I still wear the same pants for the most part, but I have more long-sleeved shirts, heavier blouses, and sweaters. I live in different pairs of boots. Sweatpants and sweatshirts around the house. My closet is in the computer room, so I merely move the clothes around from one side to the other and that suffices. I don't have a lot of clothes really....I'm not a clotheshound and I dislike clothes shopping.

For my treadmill walk, I'm still in shorts and a tee. That may change soon as our basement tends to get cold during the winter. For my outside walk, I've switched over to a sweatshirt and jeans.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in jeans and T-shirts, sweatshirts in the winter. I take most of my summer T's to the basement closet and bring up my sweatshirts as I do so. It is still in the 80's here this week, so it won't be for a while! I've set up the heated cat mats outside, just don't have the towels hung in front of the doors yet to block the cold wind. I got down the heated food and water bowls too, you never know when it is going to be that cold, but I don 't want to be looking for them when it is. Last week it got down to 30 degrees a few times, so now it is sweatshirts in the AM and t-shirts at noon. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have two separate wardrobes. I do have some clothes that are definitely summer and others that are definitely winter, but they stay in pretty much the same place all year round. The most I do is move a couple of piles of trousers around on the shelf, so the warmer ones are at the front.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I have different season clothes, long sleeves, long pants, socks & closed toe shoes compared to shorts, short sleeve shirts, & sandals. We really don't get winter here in S CA but the mornings get pretty chilly.

All my stuff is in storage except for one rack of clothes that I kept out. Usually I don't pack clothes away just for the new weather, I only pack clothes away when I can't fit into them anymore.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have a summer wardrobe and a winter one. Luckily, I have a large enough walk-in closet to keep both wardrobes. I put the out-of-season one on the upper racks, and the current season on the lower racks. Sweaters and long dresses I don't change. When I was married, the closets were smaller, and I did pack up the out-of-season clothes in boxes and store them in the attic. It was a pain, and if we had a few days of warm weather after I put the summer clothes away, I was SOL. I feel so lucky to have everything available all the time.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The weather is so mild here, we really don't need different wardrobes.  It's jeans and t-shirts all the time.  I carry a vest or cardigan with me when I go out year-round because we can get fog or breezes any time.

One year, I bought myself a beautiful long black wool coat.  I thought they were so sophisticated and cool-looking and always wanted one.  
  I think I wore it once.  It was just too heavy for the weather we get here.  It hung in my closet for 2-3 years and I finally sold it at a consignment shop.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. No different wardrobes here. I have a hoodie for the few weeks it gets chilly at night or in the morning but that's about it.

sweetonyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always just do layers. I live in a place that has never seen snow before though. Climate doesn't change much here, just gets a bit colder, but not by much.

It always baffled me when my siblings spoke of summer or winter wardrobes!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I wear the same clothes all year long. I just wear casual clothes since I retired, mostly jeans and tee shorts. I never could stand long sleeves or sweaters. I get way too hot in them.
I'm with Muffy.  I do have a few long-sleeved shirts and dressy blouses. and I want to pick up a few flannel shirts this month and next to throw over my tees.  I live such a very simple life that two entire wardrobes would be major overkill.  Lord, I only have 4 pairs of shoes, and that includes a pair of flip flops and my slippers.

sweetonyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm with Muffy.  I do have a few long-sleeved shirts and dressy blouses. and I want to pick up a few flannel shirts this month and next to throw over my tees.  I live such a very simple life that two entire wardrobes would be major overkill.  Lord, I only have 4 pairs of shoes, and that includes a pair of flip flops and my slippers.
I thought I was the only woman in the world with few shoes! I have only four pair too.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
gosh you guys, I just bought a 60 pair shoe rack & I have some double stacked shoes. Always looking for new ones

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

gosh you guys, I just bought a 60 pair shoe rack & I have some double stacked shoes. Always looking for new ones
Now there's a woman after my own heart! I love shoes. I have some I bought and only wore once or twice but I still keep them because they are just so beautiful.

I'm very envious of all of you who are able to make do with the same clothes all year round. It's - 20 C here in the winter and around 35 C in the summer. It's like living on a different continent for half the year.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've got 3 seasonal 'wardrobes' -- winter, summer, and fall/spring.

winter is thermal tops and bottoms, sweat pants and shirts, and knit caps. summer means short sleeved tops and lightweight shorts. spring/fall ends up being a period of transition from winter clothes to summer clothes (or vice versa) -- it's fall here right now, and i'm wearing a thermal top with lightweight shorts.

i store all my clothing on shelves in a closet. winter clothes on one shelf, summer clothes on another shelf. i keep sachets containing cotton balls soaked with lavender essential oil, to deter moths, in my closets.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Now there's a woman after my own heart! I love shoes. I have some I bought and only wore once or twice but I still keep them because they are just so beautiful.

I'm very envious of all of you who are able to make do with the same clothes all year round. It's - 20 C here in the winter and around 35 C in the summer. It's like living on a different continent for half the year.

I used to live in a mountainous region & decided I'm done with it! I prefer to be warm & if that means not seeing leaves change color or seeing snow fall, I'm ok with it. I hate the cold now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I used to live in a mountainous region & decided I'm done with it! I prefer to be warm & if that means not seeing leaves change color or seeing snow fall, I'm ok with it. I hate the cold now.
Same here. I lived in New York for 23 years and Colorado for 10. Now I live in Florida. I couldn't give a tick's turd about leaves changing. When they change, they die- when they die- they fall to the ground and I have to rake them up. No thank you. I'll pass. The cold is awful. Winter has no redeeming qualities especially if you have to go out in it and are the one who has to clean up the mess it brings. 

Snow is not a word. It is an acronym for Stuff No One Wants. 

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that this question has been asked and I washed and folded my shorts neatly; we are expecting a heat wave this week.  Picks a season weather!!! 

I sort of have a wardrobe for each season but nothing gets actually packed away.  Things just go toward the bottom of the pile.  I keep a lot on shelves instead of in drawers so I can kind of see everything.  It's a mess right now but organizing my closet and dresser is such a low priority!  

sweetonyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that this question has been asked and I washed and folded my shorts neatly; we are expecting a heat wave this week.  Picks a season weather!!! :wife:

I sort of have a wardrobe for each season but nothing gets actually packed away.  Things just go toward the bottom of the pile.  I keep a lot on shelves instead of in drawers so I can kind of see everything.  It's a mess right now but organizing my closet and dresser is such a low priority!  :sigh:
If it's on the shelves you're still doing better than me. I currently have a clean pile and a dirty pile on my bedroom floor.