Question Of The Day. Saturday 14th Of July.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello.

:wave3:

Imagine that your boss decided that one day of your working week had to be spent doing some kind of volunteer activity. (Don't worry, your pay would stay the same. ;)) What would you choose do?

I'd say I'd spend the day at an animal shelter, but I think that's a bit too much like what I do every day anyway. Maybe I'd volunteer to pick up litter. It bothers me when I see litter at the sides of the road, especially in a beautiful area like this. Picking up litter would be a good way to get out and walk, as well as a way to make the world a little better.

What would you volunteer to do?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably a rescue of some sort - greyhounds, cats or horses/equines for preference.

Failing that, I'd get involved with the charity my mum's involved with. Basically, the council put some of the biggest public access fields up for sale, so a group of residents got together to fundraise in order to buy and keep the land, to make sure that it didn't go to building developers. The charity's focus is to restore these fields to the wildflower meadows they once were, using them as conservation grazing to naturally crop the grass and fertilize the land. They still fundraise a lot, both to maintain the funds to properly care for the land, and to enable them to purchase other greenfield sites to restore and maintain them in the same way.

(I should add, this is a rural area and destination tourist spot, and the fields in question are part of the character and history of the area).

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd volunteer at an animal shelter too. I'd love to work with rescues one day! I've been already thinking about cat fostering when I retire or if I have a job that allows me to be at home for most of the week, even though that's far, far into the future!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would volunteer at a farm or ranch, that way I could learn how to take care of all different kinds of animals like chickens, horses, cows, goats, maybe even a llama. And of course there would probably be barn cats there too.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to do shelter work but our own pack of multi-species keeps us on our toes and is a lot of work...so I'd probably want to do something different, like help out at a homeless shelter, or domestic violence shelter for people in bad situations. Especially talking with the kids and stuff.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a tough one as there are some many worthwhile things.

I think I would either Volunteer to help the elderly with their technology, or care, or, volunteer at an animal shelter/sanctuary.
I like the idea of volunteering to help the elderly =)
Half the time all they really want is someone to talk to/chat with.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought when I retired I would teach adult literacy, but I never have. There are a lot of things I could teach as a volunteer - defensive driving, continuing ed courses, cooking. I would love to record books on tape for the blind, if it's even done any more. I really would like to be a docent at our Museum of Natural History, perhaps in the huge Egyptology section or in the fabulous Gems and Minerals. Unfortunately, it's 40 miles of solid freeway traffic each way, and I gave that up when I retired. I'd be very happy to work in an old-fashioned library with lots of real books in it instead of computers. Much as I'd want to, I don't think I'm emotionally able to work in a shelter. Yes, I know it's rewarding, but it's also painful to see what people do to animals. I wonder if our International Airport uses "welcomers"?

There are so many possibilities if I'd just get off my rump and do them!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have given serious consideration to volunteering at a children's hospital.