Question Of The Day. Saturday 14th Of April.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

:sunshine:

Well, I'm having an interesting weekend. I was sitting at my desk this afternoon and I saw a Japanese badger trot past the window. They look a bit like European badgers, but smaller with light brown hair. This one looked very healthy, hair blowing in the wind like a shampoo commercial.

A few minutes ago Susy started to put her head out the cat door than jumped back in making a horrible yowling sound. I grabbed the torch to take a look and saw a tanuki sitting on the deck. Oh no! How did that get in the enclosure?

I've opened the gate for him. Hopefully he'll find his way out and not decide to dig a tunnel under the fence, or whatever it is tanuki do.

:rolleyes3:

So, what kind of wildlife to you get in your area?

As well as tanuki and the recently spotted blonde badgers we get deer, rabbits, hare, squirrels, wild boar, Asian black bears, pole cats, civet cats, hawks, crows, loads of song birds, snakes, lizards, frogs and toads.

OK, better go check on this tanuki now.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what i've seen and know of, we have coyotes, skunk, rabbits, squirrels, wild turkeys, geese, deer, racoons, various and assorted birds, snakes, toads, we're starting to get frogs again (they had all died from the run-off of pesticides and other farm/orchard chemicals into the creek). i'm sure there are other critters that haven't popped into my mind, or that i'm unaware of here.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'm having an interesting weekend. I was sitting at my desk this afternoon and I saw a Japanese badger trot past the window. They look a bit like European badgers, but smaller with light brown hair. This one looked very healthy, hair blowing in the wind like a shampoo commercial.
"hair blowing in the wind like a shampoo commercial" :flail:

We live in town but on the edge of a large greenbelt so we get some wildlife--different kinds of rodents, squirrels, Pacific ring-neck snakes, lizards, deer, and an occasional bobcat or coyote. I've only seen a fox go through the back yard once. All sorts of birds, too--from seagulls and hawks to hummingbirds.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here, we have White Tailed Tree Wreckers Deer, raccoons, opossums, porcupines, both delightful red squirrels and rotten grey squirrels, bunnies, beavers, muskrats, mousies, moles, voles, shrews and Pigmy shrews, wild, ferocious Red Foxies-Foxies

foxdogs.jpg

Long-tailed weasels, skunks, groundhogs, River otters, Little Brown bats and Northern bats, coyotes (not on my property, but across the river, crossing only in deep Winter when the river is frozen solid), and this past Winter, one set of bobcat tracks, but no bobcat sighting, Blanding's turtle, snapping turtles, red eared sliders, Eastern Box turtles, wood turtles and mud turtles, Striped and Spotted salamanders (and red efts), Massasauga rattlesnake (one specimen seen, a dozen years ago, at the river's edge), Eastern Milk snakes, Northern Red-bellied snakes, Eastern Ribbon snakes, Northern Brown snake, Common Garter snakes, Northern Water snakes, Grey treefrogs, Northern Spring peepers, bullfrogs, Fowler's, Eastern Spadefoot and Eastern American toads, King salmon, Steelhead, Brown trout, muskellunge and Northern pike, two nesting pair of Bald Eagles, a pair of Harlequin ducks, blue and green heron, egrets, grouse, wood ducks, mallards, Northern Pintail ducks, Green-winged and Blue-Winged Teal ducks, Buffleheads, grebes, Canada geese, Mute swans, turkey vultures, Snowy owls, Great Horned owls, Eastern Screech owls, Long-eared owls, Northern Saw-whet owls, Barred owls, Ruby-throated hummingbirds, and roughly nine billion species of songbirds, about a dozen of which I can actually identify.

;)

I've doubtless forgotten lots of common species, and intentionally left out European and Bald-faced hornets, ground-dwelling and aerial yellowjackets, Cicada Killers, Deerflies and mosquitoes.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get foxes, spiders, blue tits, songbirds, robins, sparrows, crows, magpies, owls, bats, water voles, rats, mice, swans, Canada geese, hedgehogs, grass snakes, frogs, dragon flies, toads, Kingfishers, wild rabbits, badgers, wild cats, grey squirrels, mallards, coyotes, pigeons, doves, herons, parakeets, swallows, chaffinches, warblers, slow worm, sand lizards, adders, butterflies, snails, slugs, woodlice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hey, maybe a badger is what my friend and I saw. We once saw a wild animal in the bushes right around sunset, it scared us so badly we wouldn't go get our toys from the yard, lol. It was red/blonde and looked like the Mario 3 "tanuki" but of course real Tanuki aren't that color.

As for wildlife around here, everything, apparently! :lol: Though I have only seen live coyotes twice and have never seen a bobcat. I see white-tailed deer, hawks of all sorts, small birds of all sorts, Canada geese, bald eagles, and possums quite often. Everything else is more shy.

There are a lot of raccoons on my property (I know from putting a game camera out) but I hardly ever see them. There was a groundhog under the back shed but I only saw him once and I think he must be gone now as I haven't seen any fresh digging in a couple of years. There was a family of red foxes who had a litter under that same shed but they didn't come back the next year. I hear the coyotes almost every night but never see them.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We see deer, bunnies, and squirrels in our yard every day, and all different kinds of birds, sometimes raccoons, chipmunks, and wild turkeys. I've only seen a coyote once in my life and that was enough. My brother used to see coydogs often, but I never saw them. I used to see feral cats on the edge of the woods, but since I took in my two, I haven't seen any more. Mice, frogs, toads, and skunks sometimes. A few small snakes, but I don't think we have poisonous ones here in NY, at least I hope not.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few small snakes, but I don't think we have poisonous ones here in NY, at least I hope not.
M maggiedemi - We have only three species of poisonous snakes in New York state, and none particularly widespread, save the Timber rattlesnake seen throughout the Adirondack park. The other two are the Massasauga rattlesnake and the Copperhead.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get a lot of songbirds, rabbits, squirrels, pretty typical North American wildlife. There are some turkeys that keep trying to mate in the middle of the street, it's a busy street too and they block traffic. It's annoying.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen skunks, raccoons, opossum, ducks, rabbits and squirrels in my yard. Outside of town on the nature trail I saw a Red fox with three kits. I thought the kits were Pomeranian puppies so I sat down and petted them until the mother came out of the woods...Then I was like.....um yea that's definitely not a Pomeranian and I'm probably going to die now...lol.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine- Oh God I didn't know there were poisonous snakes in NY! Now I'm going to be even more of a hypochondriac! We are 25 miles from part of the Adirondack Park. The snakes better stay there and leave me and my cats alone. :eek2::bawling::help: