Question of the Day, October 1

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
number of my more feminist friends really struggled with the concept of family money vs contributing income
Not just women though; I know a guy who sells bread at the farmer's market who's a stay-at-home dad and homeschools too. And he sells bread because he feels bad about "not contributing to family income", even though his wife makes enough to support the family. And he shouldn't! Taking care of kids is more than sufficient. Homeschooling on top of it. I suppose everybody has their pride but I really think Americans need to put more value on child care.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's funny because as I got closer to retirement I kept thinking about how wonderful it would be but due to tenure in our school district I had to give four years notice and wasn't sure if I would miss the students and my co-workers. I really enjoyed working in Special Education even on the most stressful days. So when I made the commitment to retire I was fortunate to be able to substitute teach in our program with the same teachers and it felt like a part-time job. Fortunately I stopped subbing last year before Covid and it was the best decision I ever made. I still keep in contact with some of the teachers but have time for me now. :thumbsup:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 30 years away from being able to even qualify for Medicare, so if I were able to retire now, I'd probably just switch to working part-time and travel a lot before actually retiring.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I retired 11 years ago at the age of 60 and I treasure every single day. My job was OK but most of the women I worked with were horrible people. You know the "B" word. They made my life a living hell. I retired as soon as I was able to and never looked back.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmmm, kind of. I work free lance for two different companies as well as teach English privately too.

I would retire from one of the companies I work for in a heartbeat of I could afford to. They are useless! They are so badly organized and unprofessional. Whenever anything goes wrong their students complain to me because the staff who are supposed to do all the admin side of things never answer the phone or respond to e-mails. The only reason I stay with them is out of loyalty to my regular students, who are all really nice people, and because I need the money.

The other company I work for is much better. The students there are mainly kids, I don't mind teaching them at all. The owner of the company gives me free weekly Japanese lessons, so I would keep working for her even if I retired.

And my private students are all people I've known for at least 10 years. They're more like friends, so I wouldn't stop teaching them.

I guess I would semi retire if I could, maybe steal a few of the useless company's students as my private students and spend the spare time learning woodwork or doing something creative.

:cloud9:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I retired at 61. I enjoyed my job and my colleagues and loved my staff. But I simply could not deal anymore with the poor leadership at the university. It was getting harder and harder to bite my tongue when I met with the president so I decided it was better to retire than to snap off her pointy little head and be fired. :) I was lucky that universities have such wonderful benefits, and I was also really frugal over the years so it worked out.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still in school 😂
But honestly, yeah, I would. I hate the pressure, the idea that I've been talked into about working life. I want to do as I please, no responsibilities, being able to put time into my hobbies. My mental health has never been better than it was in my gap year, so I hope it'd be like that again.