Question of the Day - November 9, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a Monday; it's awfully nice here. My kids are in shorts playing outside while leaves fall off the tree. Some of my favorite migrating birds are finally coming through too. Oh and Peppermint Mocha coffee is back at Dunkin. :biggrin:

Matching outfits: Yay or Nay?

I think it can be cute but I wouldn't do it regularly. It's cuter for kids for sure. Or little old couples. :agree: I've seen some nicely done ones for family trips and things too.

My kids have always had special Christmas pajamas and one year they were matching Mickey and Minnie sets; but this year I wanted to join the whole family matching trend. We couldn't agree on a set (by we I mean me and the kids; DH wasn't consulted. ;)) so I ordered a set for DD and I that match and a set for DS and DH that match. A few years ago DH and I had matching bottoms; but this is a whole set. DS is at an age where DH is everything. The only sets DS liked; DH wouldn't wear. So I made an executive decision after they went to bed. They also have matching glasses (which DS was over the moon about :lol:) so I think it'll be ok and still super cute. I know I'm pushing DH out of his own comfort zone; but he'll do it for DS. And I didn't go for the Christmas T-Rex ones or something crazy. No elf stripes either. :lol:

My friend's parents used to match for church every Sunday. I always thought it was a bit much for personalities like ours. But some people pull it off well. My kids do have a matching set of pj's with DH's company logo on them. I tried to get them coordinating "Team Santa" shirts for Christmas day too but DD didn't like it. My Mom had me order matching "Cookie Baking Crew" shirts for ALL the grandkids. So there will be that! The baby and toddler ones say "Cookie Eating Crew" :lol: Having a boy and girl I couldn't dress them too matching when they were little. Christmas gives me the chance to have a little fun while they are still young enough to go for it. :D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's cute on twins when they are little and maybe for a holiday card or something like that but other than that no. This is for other people. For me? No. Never. Who would I match outfits with anyway? The cats? After consulting with them, the answer was "only if you no longer want to have a face." OK. Gotcha. :lol: :running:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who would I match outfits with anyway? The cats? After consulting with them, the answer was "only if you no longer want to have a face." OK. Gotcha. :lol: :running:
The Children's Place did have matching pet outfits available too. Mooch says that kind of nonsense is for dogs. :flail:

I would do it for something special; like Disney or a big event. One of my friends makes a lot of shirts and things when she takes her kids to Disney. Her DH doesn't usually participate and its not usually the whole family. But she does have pre-teen twins. They are fraternal but will do like coordinating tanks in different colors. It's cute for photos; but not like when they were little. Since she's making them herself; it's more personalized to their tastes.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's cute on little kids and funny if a couple does it for a joke. I have friends from high school who are identical twins who have always dressed the same. They both became dentists and work at the same place. I've always wondered if they would ever date and I'm not sure if they have (I haven't been in contact with them for a while now).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, by choice, had some matching dresses with my sister as kids, but I didn't even make my bridesmaids pick the same dresses for my wedding (just same color).

I think having matching shirts for a family reunion or something can be cute, and obviously it's good for sports teams, or cute for a holiday thing, but if I had twins or something, I definitely wouldn't be dressing them alike every day.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
having matching shirts for a family reunion
A good friend of mine’s large, extended family has vacationed at Bethany Beach, DE, every year since the 1940s. They always do matching t-shirts—a different one each year—and whenever I go, they give me one, too, since I’m kind of an honorary member of the family. They’re sentimental keepsakes, and I really like them. Otherwise, no, no matching clothes! My dad gave my husband and me matching windbreakers years ago, and we both feel like dorks when we wear them at the same time. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the nay side, mostly. Matching holiday pjs are fine; you won't be going in public with them and after the pictures probably won't all wear them at the same time again. Matching t-shirts at a theme park is a good idea, so if you lose a kid you definitely know what they were wearing, and if anyone finds them they know which group to return them to. If you have 17 kids you can make them wear the same color to Costco so you can find them, lol. Custom t-shirts made for a special occasion are ok as long as that's the only time everybody wears them. But other than that, nooooo, don't do it!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's part of dating culture here, so I'm not vehemently opposed to it. Couples that match everything and wear garish things are a bit much, but they are a bit more creative these days. They'll match style and color more than just wearing the exact same thing.
1604966903847.png

For me, I appreciate color and style matching. It makes photos look really nice and so even regular people have instagram feeds that look like magazine photo shoots.

It's one of those things I don't worry about since I'm not in a couple, but also something I think about whilst swiping idly through Tinder. I look at guys' fashion and go "Hmm...if we were standing next to each other, would our styles match?" Sounds superficial, but when you live in a subculture (rocknroll, tattoos, dyed hair...still on the fringes here) those types of things become more important.

Now, there is a photo that exists of my family in the early nineties where we are all wearing MN Vikings t-shirts and the loudest homemade Zubaz pants...we may even be wearing matching fanny packs. IDK, it's a photo I do my best to forget exists. HA noooooo thank youuuuu

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's cute on little kids and funny if a couple does it for a joke. I have friends from high school who are identical twins who have always dressed the same. They both became dentists and work at the same place. I've always wondered if they would ever date and I'm not sure if they have (I haven't been in contact with them for a while now).
I had twin friends in high school who insisted they weren't identical but went as identical twins on twin day. Apparently their older sister also looked exactly like them. But I had chorus and latin with them every day for 3 years and still had to tell who was who by who had bangs. :lol: I don't know where they are these days.

The best though was my high school best friend dating an identical twin our senior year. People thought he was cheating on her because they didn't know they were twins. The rumors!!:flail: I actually never had trouble telling them apart though. Not until after high school when I saw one outside of a local restaurant when I was with my high school BFF and she couldn't tell for sure who it was either.
I think they can be cute on young kids under 5, but often look a little comical on any older age. My cousin matches her kids subtly and it works - they'll often wear the same thing, but with different colours/patterns. Not a fan of matching adults unless it's a Halloween costume!
I have accidentally done that with my kids and DH at church. It's usually just ending up in the same color combos. DD and I do have the same sneakers at the moment. We just really didn't like the selection. And they aren't something super obvious.
I'm on the nay side, mostly. Matching holiday pjs are fine; you won't be going in public with them and after the pictures probably won't all wear them at the same time again.
A few years ago some friends from church had their Christmas pictures done in their pjs for their Christmas cards. But the dad/husband refused so there is his wife and kids looking all cute and cozy and hes in jeans and a black henley. :lol: I'm still surprised he wasn't up for it because he's a pretty laid back guy. The pictures were really cute but him in his jeans just made it plain funny! Kohls had some options that were a little different but still the same material. I think that makes a nice compromise. And like you said; it's just something for one day a year and not for walking around in public.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, there is a photo that exists of my family in the early nineties where we are all wearing MN Vikings t-shirts and the loudest homemade Zooba pants...we may even be wearing matching fanny packs. IDK, it's a photo I do my best to forget exists. HA noooooo thank youuuuu
Oh man I lived through that era myself. I'm sooooo glad social media wasn't a thing then! :paperbag: I had those pants too. I thought I was SO cool! :paperbag:

I think the couples in those pictures look ok. It's not super matchy. I think most couples end up somewhat style-matchy to a degree. DH and I are both more jeans and t-shirts kind of people. Or I might wear a nicer top; but I'm still in jeans. My best friend and her husband don't match clothing styles; but both have a lot of tattoos and things. Back when we were younger they both had crazy hair, etc.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, and back in the world before Covid when I was teaching and we went on field trips, having the students all wear the same school shirt (or as many as we could get) was really helpful in keeping track of everyone.
When we could still go places, I often went to a theme park near us that we had passes to, and I would always see families with matching shirts.
As a few other people said (yourself included lol) I'm sure it's very useful in keeping people together, especially when you have a school field trip of a bunch of kids!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really thought about it, but I guess it could be fun! I would try the matching pajamas! And if we went to a music concert, wear the same band/singer shirt. It might be fun to color coordinate sometimes, not all the time though.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg, shipping drama concluded, but look at this topical horror: Jammies for your Families
IMG_5217[1].JPG

Thank goodness my mom got me the wrong size! (but also...I had to pay import tax on this...)
She wrote a note that said she got them for the whole family. I have to figure out a tactful way to not hurt her feelings when she finds out this doesn't fit me...Or maybe I can lose 20 pounds before our annual Christmas skype/zoom session XD