Question of the Day, November 6

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my favorite was that wooden board with wooden pegs you hammer into my ma told me i would be up with birds hammering away as a lil kid :lol:far as other toys i was kinda rough with em so they never lasted to long then after star wars came out it was all those action figures and riding bikes out on the dirt road nearby :lol:oh cant forget playing in the dirt either

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Then BARBIE!!! OMG>.. Bubble Hair Top Barbie!! with blonde hair!
Ditto, I had the same Barbie doll and still do to this day. I also have the original black vinyl clothes case. I took such good care of my doll, clothes and case.

I loved the paint-by-number art projects especially the ones with animals and potholder loom kits.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I still have the two that mean the most to me, both made for me by one of my grandmothers.

This is Gunkey. My grandmother made him for me when I was a baby, and he went everywhere with me when I was a child. He was a particularly wonderful companion on long trips in the car. When I was learning to talk I couldn’t pronounce the ‘m’ in monkey, so I called him my gunkey. My angel kitty Sara chewed off his pompoms when she was a kitten back in the ‘70s so my mom replaced them. But he’s in almost perfect condition.
5DB28733-75EB-4BF0-B97E-F21F24346665.jpeg
And here’s the Heffalump. Winnie-the-Pooh readers will recognize the name. Grandma made him for me when I was about six or seven.
E7FDE67A-79D0-4D59-B88F-FA53B28E1359.jpeg
Gunkey and the Heffalump are older than most of you. I still treasure them.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have the two that mean the most to me, both made for me by one of my grandmothers.

This is Gunkey. My grandmother made him for me when I was a baby, and he went everywhere with me when I was a child. He was a particularly wonderful companion on long trips in the car. When I was learning to talk I couldn’t pronounce the ‘m’ in monkey, so I called him my gunkey. My angel kitty Sara chewed off his pompoms when she was a kitten back in the ‘70s so my mom replaced them. But he’s in almost perfect condition.
View attachment 357924
And here’s the Heffalump. Winnie-the-Pooh readers will recognize the name. Grandma made him for me when I was about six or seven.
View attachment 357925
Gunkey and the Heffalump are older than most of you. I still treasure them.
Aww! I still have, and sleep with, my Baby Snoopy I've had since I was a baby, but I'm sure he was store bought.

1106202329.jpg

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved my Kenner Pop up Family Treehouse. I also favored my Litebrite, a black metal Tonka truck and a large metal Shoprite 18 wheeler. For plush toys I had a handful of favorites all bears of some sort.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved a few things. Spirograph, the colidascope, definitely the light bright. I loved making my own designs on that. I still love to color. Lol. Once, my sister and I even had one of those little clay wheels, that we made a little jewelry dish with. Oh, yes, & the view master when I was younger. Loved that! I still have it w/ just a few slide wheels, or whatever they're called. 😄

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Cabbage Patch doll that I named Babe. I carried her everywhere and she never wore clothes. Her head eventually fell off because she was so "well-loved" and I ended up throwing her away when I was 5. My mom was completely shocked. I actually remember doing it too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Cabbage Patch doll that I named Babe. I carried her everywhere and she never wore clothes. Her head eventually fell off because she was so "well-loved" and I ended up throwing her away when I was 5.
I guess I would probably have thrown it away too, if the head came off! No fun without a head.
My cabbage patch kid came with a name already. Catalina Cindy was her name on the certificate.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I would probably have thrown it away too, if the head came off! No fun without a head.
My cabbage patch kid came with a name already. Catalina Cindy was her name on the certificate.
Mine was Marcella Dolley. But I don't know if I used the name on the birth certificate. My aunt grabbed one for me and my cousin when we were babies and they first came out, because fad, but she was never my favorite toy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I don't know if I used the name on the birth certificate.
My cousins and I always kept the original names. That's why we would spend hours going through all the dolls on the store shelves, to pick one with a cool name. It never occurred to us that we could change their names! I guess that was part of the fun though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It never occurred to us that we could change their names!
Of course you could call a doll whatever you wanted. . .but they even had a thing where you could "legally" change their name! Send it in and get a new adoption certificate. I never did that because I only had 2 CPK with certificates and I liked their names. My other CPK came from a Japanese toy store, no box, no birth certificate, so I don't know if they were counterfeit or if that was just how they were sold in the Japanese market. I had 4 girls and a boy :D. I still have them too.

They always pick odd names for the birth certificate. My nephew had a boy Cabbage Patch doll he dragged around for a few years, and his name was Eugene, lol.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was a shock for my mom because I am autistic (didn't know that until I was 27 though), so for me to let go of something that I was so attached to was a huge deal.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We didn't really have toys as such, which is odd as my parents owned a newsagency and there was a whole area of kids' things. Of course that didn't mean we could have them, but I think I got more pleasure out of playing with the cat and the dog, and building things out of the cardboard boxes we had stashed in the huge storage room (we lived behind and above the shop).
But I did have this poor little guy. I was always smaller than others my age and so I really liked having a tiny koala... she felt like a kindred spirit. :)
koala.JPG

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey we had a koala like that! I wonder if it's still around my parents' house. I think someone who went to Australia on vacation gave it to us. Someone told me it was made with real koala fur but I bet it wasn't. Kangaroo fur maybe? It wasn't soft like rabbit fur.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived on an island and mostly played in nature but later, when Barbie arrived, she bacame the toy that stuck with me along with my hot wheels and cats. I mostly bought toys with baby sitting money but I loved them and built hot wheels tracks outside for that cats to have a good chase . They loved that. I donated my hot wheels later to the son of the counselor of our school since money was short for them. I still have my Barbies though. Mia6 Mia6 Your “Solo in the Spotlight “ outfit is in great condition! I had a bubble cut too but my ponytail Barbie was my fav.. I used a bookcase as a Barbie house and I made everything to go in it. Imagination back then went a long way. Lol Many of my things went during a fire but Barbie survived. She was safe in her bookcase house.
All these toy memories are great. Such nice times with our toy friends.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my teddy bear; he still makes a kind of baaing sound when he's turned over. Mom told me that I didn't like him at first, because of the noise he made and because he was 'too big'. But when I grew up, he became my best friend :redheartpump:. I swallowed one of his eyes once, and mom gave him a new pair.
He (still) smells like vanilla...

IMG_4869.JPG

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey we had a koala like that! I wonder if it's still around my parents' house. I think someone who went to Australia on vacation gave it to us. Someone told me it was made with real koala fur but I bet it wasn't. Kangaroo fur maybe? It wasn't soft like rabbit fur.
Hopefully it was faux fur like the David Crockett coon skin hats were.

Last edited: