Question Of The Day - Monday, September 9, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy 9 - 9 - 19! The weather here is definitely turning more pleasant. Its not fall yet; but it's beyond the brutal heat. Guess that means I should make sure my kids have pants that fit soon. :p

How do you watch TV shows? Cable? Satelite? Streaming Services? DVD/Blu-ray? Antenna?

We stream Amazon and Netflix through Roku players. I considered getting a digital antenna but I decided I don't miss traditional tv enough. (Except for when the olympics are going on. :lol2:) We still have plenty of DVDs and some BluRay discs too. We have a portable DVD player for the car when we go on long trips so I need them then anyway. And sometimes it's nice to not be dependent on an internet connection. :agree:

Amazon has been having issues since Saturday night. I finally chatted with them yesterday and apparently it's not just me. I hope it's working now but I haven't had time to check yet today.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An antenna that my dad put together out of some copper tubing and wire. The plastic bar on top is for Birds, otherwise they sit directly on the copper and bend it down.

20190909_130610[1].jpg

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cable, Netflix and Hulu, but I mostly watch cable and use Roku sticks to stream on the other TV’s. I do have an antenna in the attic so I could have free TV if I wanted.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just cut the cable cord on the 6th. I have high speed internet and right now use Philo- 20 a month then netflix/hulu and if nothing on there, AmaZon prime..I am considering getting rid of amazon prime next year if I never use it. We have been using the fire stick through Amazon so hopefully it will still work if I discontinue amazon prime. I bought a digital antenna a year ago and this week my partner is going to take down the dish from directv and put up the antenna-not sure how it all works-hopefully we can figure it out... The hardest part is not having my morning local channel 4 news as they have weather for both mass and NH. Right now we use Fox 25 Boston but it's just not the same...so he wants to get the antenna installed...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of movie sites that I use on my computer. I can get almost anything I want to watch. I just watched Godzilla King of the Monsters and am currently waiting until my shows come back next month. I'm watching Billy the Exterminator until then.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cut the cable cord on the 6th. I have high speed internet and right now use Philo- 20 a month then netflix/hulu and if nothing on there, AmaZon prime..I am considering getting rid of amazon prime next year if I never use it. We have been using the fire stick through Amazon so hopefully it will still work if I discontinue amazon prime. I bought a digital antenna a year ago and this week my partner is going to take down the dish from directv and put up the antenna-not sure how it all works-hopefully we can figure it out... The hardest part is not having my morning local channel 4 news as they have weather for both mass and NH. Right now we use Fox 25 Boston but it's just not the same...so he wants to get the antenna installed...
Before I discovered that I had a huge TV antenna in the attic I was using the small desktop antennas for the bedroom TV’s and I got an excellent picture and all of the local broadcast channels. I never spent more than a few dollars on these antennas because I picked them up at thrift stores. I would have continued to use a antenna except that I found out if I had a Roku stick I could stream cable for free to all of my TV’s.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watch all of my favorite TV shows online since I don't have a TV. But even if I did have one, some of the shows I watch don't have reruns so it would be kinda pointless.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I stream Netflix, Acorn, Prime Video and PBS through AppleTV. I did the math about three years ago and realized that I could save more than $800 a year by ditching cable. I bought an inexpensive indoor HDTV antenna in case we wanted to watch local stations, but we almost never use it.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been working my way through the huge DVD collection in this library... never did get the Internet and TV installed at my place, since I was doing all the rehab work on the home itself. Probably better that I didn't install it, now that I'm gonna flip the home. Meh, life goes on... :crash:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I hardly watch TV anymore - I don't have time. The TV is turned on once a month or less and I usually end up turning it off within an hour of turning it on.

We do not have cable but I have Netflix. We have an antenna box thingy.

I'm pretty content with what we have now. It's been like this for about 4 years now. At this point, watching TV just feel like work. Like, I feel as if I'm making too much of an effort to sit and do nothing.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm on the computer more than anything because I'm usually handling important business and when I'm not, the computer is off...

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had directv for probably 15 years now.Yes it's pricey,and there are a lot of the channels we have that we never watch,but the ones that we do watch almost all the time I don't want to lose.I have thought about switching over to dish,which would save about $40 a month,but after the 2 years,then what?More pricey than I pay now?Why switch then,and they won't give me an answer to that question either.So...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have Cable but when I was away dog sitting for my daughter and s-i-l this summer I enjoyed watching their tv because they have Netflix & Hulu.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. If I can't find the shows I want to watch on those platforms then I...er, have my ways :running:lol

I haven't watched live TV in years, honestly.