Question of the Day - Monday, September 4, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Labor Day to our members in the USA. I'm enjoying my day off by catching up on some things around the house while DH is here to help. I did a little window cleaning and we placed floor mats under the elliptical and DS's desk to protect the floors there. I couldn't do the elliptical on my own. We'd kept a remnant of carpet for underneath it when our floors were installed. We had one for Mooch under her chair to help keep her familiar scent in the house too. She adjusted just fine so we've tossed that now too. It looks much better without the gray carpet against the dark floors. DH doesn't know it yet; but I'm about to ask him to hang a chalk board. And maybe a few other pictures I've not replaced yet. So much for a day off right? :lol:

How do you spend your public holidays like this?

Generally I want to relax and read. But sometimes it's so nice to get stuff done with DH here to help. He doesn't sit still well; so hes almost always up for a project. Normally he's trying to convince me though; not the other way around. It's way too hot and humid to do things outdoors anyway. (I did just see my neighbor leave on his bicycle though...🥵)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was invited to a surprise birthday party for a good friend. Her grown children organized the party at a restaurant but a few people blew the surprise. :doh: It was still a nice time and I met some of my friend's relatives who live out-of-town.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Labor Day for us in Canada too. And this weekend I painted my basement. I usually use the long weekends to get things done around the house if there's not a family get together to go to. We don't "celebrate" Labor Day...I'm not even sure how to celebrate Labor Day...Are there even any traditions to observe Labor Day? :think: :dunno:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
As I am also retired, every day is a holiday for me. I tend to stay home on Holidays, because the roads and/or stores are so crowded.
I just hang around, usually not doing anything.. Cuddling with Geoffrey, reading, watching a good movie; or, on the rare chance, I will do some picking up around here, or even laundry in the laundry room. On Saturdays and holidays the laundry room is not crowded.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I remember loving the 3-day weekends when I worked. We're retired, too, so it's pretty much another day for us. Normally, I would cook a nice BBQ-style meal for us with Rick manning the outside grill. But we had the kids up this past weekend, so we did leftovers yesterday; I didn't have to cook, which was nice. I try not to do housework on holidays. We do work outside, depending on the weather; yesterday, we hit the low 90s, so we kept our butts inside. No shopping, no stores.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as always. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday do housework. Friday, Saturday, Sunday head to town for coffee, lunch, shopping. Sunday morning I have coffee at my friend's house.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already have Mondays off, so any holidays on Mondays are just another day, especially if they aren't ones I typically see people to celebrate (like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I already have Mondays off, so any holidays on Mondays are just another day, especially if they aren't ones I typically see people to celebrate (like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.).
Do you still get paid for it? DH’s company will still give holiday pay for ones that fall on regular days off like that. Its nice.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We don't ask our people to work on holidays unless they really want to (which rarely happens), so I work.