Question of the Day - Monday, September 25, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a gloomy Monday in my neck of the woods; but it feels like fall! I'm enjoying being inside with a hot coffee today but not quite ready to give up my sandals for the year.

I spent some time this weekend playing with a home design program on my computer. It really satisfies my creative itch. :cloud9: DS and I have been watching a real estate show where people are looking for log cabins. I'm not sure I'd want one as my primary home; but they are pretty! I loved the one my mom's cousin had when I was a kid. We had good times there with cousins. I will spend time just browsing home plans too sometimes. It's fun to imagine living in the different styles and designs out there. I've got an almost perfect one saved for when a cash influx comes in. :lol:

What is your favorite style of Architecture? (This page has a variety of styles illustrated with names: House Plan Styles - Architectural Designs .)

I think my favorite bits of several are pretty well summed up in Northwest style houses. I like things about Craftsman homes and the rustic touches of Mountain/Log Cabin/Lodge styles. Lake/Beach houses are so fun too. Tudor, Victorian, and Cottages are also favorites for some elements. I think what I like least is the Modern to Mid-Century Modern homes. It was almost scandalous in college that I really really really dislike Frank Lloyd Wright's designs. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was a difficult question! I love to look at houses/house plans. For this one, it was Low Country.
I know I could probably say I love everything. Sometimes when I'm reading a novel I fall in love with the house as much as the characters. :lol: Actually when I've tried to come up with stories of my own I spend more time planning their house than the actual plot. :lol: Also there really should be more historic plans online! :smash:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I like so many of those it's hard to decide. The house we live in is a Cape Cod style, which now that I've lived in it for three years isn't my favorite style (I grew up in a raised ranch, also not my favorite). But maybe if it was a big as some of those examples I'd feel differently.

Which of those styles have big airy kitchens with lots of counter space? Those are the ones I like!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like modern or brand new since I love character and quirks. Probably tudor or prairie style are my two favorites. DH loves victorian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, I like so many of those it's hard to decide. The house we live in is a Cape Cod style, which now that I've lived in it for three years isn't my favorite style (I grew up in a raised ranch, also not my favorite). But maybe if it was a big as some of those examples I'd feel differently.

Which of those styles have big airy kitchens with lots of counter space? Those are the ones I like!
My ranch has a nice big airy kitchen with a lot of counter space. I think it has more to do with being a newer home than anything. It's not fully open-concept; but close; so not having a wall between the kitchen and dining areas gave more room for cabinets and a nice wide counter at the peninsula between them. Leaving this kitchen behind would be difficult for me!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Difficult question! I like many. In the suburb where I grew up, there were some beautiful houses in what's disparagingly known as Stockbroker's Tudor, and some Californian Bungalow types. I like the basic triple-fronted brick veneer houses of the 60s, too. If we're talking grand buildings I like anything pre-20th century.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say victorian.I love all the woodwork and decorative aspects of them.There were several in the town where I grew up and they were just glorious.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was a difficult question! I love to look at houses/house plans. For this one, it was Low Country. It's hard to between homes with a balcony or porch on the second floor.
I started looking at house plans when I was house hunting/thinking of building my own at 19, and haven't stopped since. I love looking at house plans and trying to imagine how I would arrange the rooms.
Normally I go for rustic and simple, but I really, really like that Lake House.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say a favorite style would be Bavarian German home. I love the styling. I likely won't own one unless I win a big lottery.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't really matter. I've only been house hunting twice in my life. Both times we bought it was because we liked the area (open spaces, not super close to your neighbors). The first one, the actual style was okay, but I loved the layout inside. The one we're living in now for 30+ years I liked because it has a front porch and a deck, creek out back, and a lot of space between houses. We bought it new, but it was already built. It's a great location for where we both worked at the time (5 miles for me, not much more for him). I wasn't crazy about the inside layout (still not), but I'm not picky. I got a roof over my head and so far can afford to stay here. I like sitting out on the porch watching the birds and dragonflies and such.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A two-story farmhouse with a wrap-around front porch. Enclosed back porch. At least three large bedrooms, two baths, very spacious kitchen with lots of counter space, lots of cabinet space and a separate pantry. A baking island in the kitchen, with plenty of room for rolling out dough. The kitchen is the most important thing for me. Lots of lots of natural light in every room. I don't want or need open-concept.

A Victorian would be a very close second.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like old farmhouses, especially old stone farmhouses. A close second would be craftsman style homes.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care as long as it's solid, in good shape and has a covered deck. - Also, it needs running water, indoor plumbing preferred.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small and easy to take care of! Not in the countryside! In town near a Walmart. Brand new. Easy to clean & wipe down everything. All new appliances. Modern I guess, because I want the newest version of everything. Two bathrooms for sure! No clutter or extra stuff!