Question of the Day - Monday, September 12, 2022

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink Coffee. I like Tea though. I'm not very picky . I do prefer Hot Green Tea. I frequently purchase "Milo" brand Ice Tea.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo I do love a good Cuban coffee. I have Cafe Bustelo on hand but I haven’t tried to make one in a while. I can’t help but compare to my Aunts. I know the general concept but i need to practice with her video tutorial she sent me. :redheartpump:
I use a inexpensive Moka pot to make it. Took a while to get the hang of it but it really does make an excellent brew. Just need to really keep an eye on it, not the kind of thing you can walk away from.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh wow I remember those. They were SO yummy!
My Grandparents drank it, and my Grandpa used the tins in his workshop as a place to store nuts, bolts, and screws etc. I got onto it and I drank it practically nonstop during the winter. I would have a cup in the winter to "warm up" before it was time to go outside and check the horses, then have another cup after I got back inside to re-warm up. The Mocha and Vanilla tasted more like hot chocolate but it was so yummy.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a thing about buying fair trade coffee, so I generally get the O Organics brand because it's fair trade and a reasonable price.

Tea whatever is on sale. I like chai, though.
Slightly off topic, but I got some fair trade 80% cacao chocolate from the store once when it was 2 for $5 and that stuff is SO delicious!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a inexpensive Moka pot to make it. Took a while to get the hang of it but it really does make an excellent brew. Just need to really keep an eye on it, not the kind of thing you can walk away from.
I was looking at some. I think they might actually be easier than trying to get the first drip with the electric maker. 🤪 My last try was tasty but nowhere near as creamy as what my aunt makes.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Never liked tea too.
Can't live without coffee, any brand will do.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink coffee, and my tea at them moment is Red Rose Decaf. I liked the English Breakfast Tea but the caffeine wasn't good for my heart. So it's back to Decaf, which doesn't even taste like real tea to me, but it's hot and works with my toast.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking at some. I think they might actually be easier than trying to get the first drip with the electric maker. 🤪 My last try was tasty but nowhere near as creamy as what my aunt makes.
It needs to be brewed like espresso so you get that creamy top.

A lot of people call a Moka pot an espresso pot, but it's not really though makes a similar end result. Espresso needs to be brewed at a very high temperature which only dedicated machines can accomplish, however the Moka will make a decent cup which is darn close and for Cuban style, the only way to go.

I like mine with a bit of Demerara sugar, which is darker and heartier than regular white sugar. I never use sugar or substitutes in regular coffee but do love that little bit of sweet for Cuban.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It needs to be brewed like espresso so you get that creamy top.

A lot of people call a Moka pot an espresso pot, but it's not really though makes a similar end result. Espresso needs to be brewed at a very high temperature which only dedicated machines can accomplish, however the Moka will make a decent cup which is darn close and for Cuban style, the only way to go.

I like mine with a bit of Demerara sugar, which is darker and heartier than regular white sugar. I never use sugar or substitutes in regular coffee but do love that little bit of sweet for Cuban.
I found an Espresso machine on sale last year. My Aunt said the key to making it creamy is in whipping the first little bit of espresso in sugar. She used a handheld whip frother thing on her warmed milk too. I made a mess but it tasted good. 😅

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that most Italians, at least the ones that are not wealthy, use a Moka pot at home.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Both Rick and I love Fire Dept coffee. I'm addicted to the Bourbon-infused Medium Roast and Rick loves the Vanilla Bean Bourbon-infused. But he also really likes the Black Cherry Bourbon-infused. He wants to try Canadian Maple Whiskey-infused next time around. It's a little pricey, I guess. $19.99 for a 12-ounce bag. But honestly, this stuff is the smoothest coffee I've ever had. Wonderful stuff. I guess it's our splurge because we really love the stuff. Fire Department Coffee - Veteran Owned Coffee They have ground, beans, and k-cups. Worth every single penny. (My friend, Bob, came down one afternoon for coffee and cookies out in the Shed and, the next day, he told me he's now ordering from FDC, too.)

For me, hot and black is the only way to go. Rick likes his iced, with flavored creamers. Right now, he's using International Delight Caramel Macchiato, which he says is decadent with Bourbon-infused Salted Caramel.

For iced tea, I really like Luzianne, but can't find it around here anymore. I usually just grab a box of Tetley. I don't drink hot tea.

Last edited: