Question of the Day - Monday, October 4, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are on fall break here; but I'm sitting with DS while he does work he didn't get done last week in math. I'm not too happy about it and neither is he; but hey....there's consequences from not doing things when you were supposed to! ;)

What "kid" were you in school? The class clown? The trouble maker? The smart one?

I was definitely the quiet kid. My grades were good but not stellar. I got my name on the board once in first grade for talking and it was SO crushing I still literally feel it when I think of it. :paperbag:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artistic, smart (not the smartest one), out-of-place one. I also never got in trouble for anything.

I got all As but not all of my classes were AP, and I have a learning disability called dysgraphia that made things kind of difficult. I had three friends but was liked well enough by my fellow classmates that I was not picked on much. (My butt size was the target of most teasing.) I dressed weird--think a mix of hand-me-down goth and Catholic dress code in a public school setting--and read or drew/painted all the time. It was the late 80s/early 90s and I had bright auburn, Wednesday Addams hair while everyone was dying theirs blonde and curling their bangs until they stood 10 inches off of their head.

I still fit that description for the most part, especially the out-of-place part.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was literally known as "the girl who doesn't talk" because I was selectively mute until I was 10. After the age of 10, I was just kind of the good kid, I got good grades, I never got into trouble. I was in band, but I don't think that really defined me in high school because so many other people were in band.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a "the good kid"...quiet and shy, did my work and got good grades. The one and only time I ever was sent to the principal's office was when I reached high school. I don't even remember why things escalated, but I needed to go to the bathroom and she wouldn't let me, (some of our teachers were kinda stuck up and power trippy)...I remember when I got there, he just looked at me confused and said..."What are YOU doing here?!". I told him what happened, he just smiled and said, "Hang out here for 5 minutes then go back to class." FYI, I had gone to the bathroom before going to the office. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was also the Good Kid but very social and very talkative. :lol: I had good grades but I owe it to my mom because she put education first, e.g. my sister and I got a snack when we got home from school but then we had to do homework and she would drill us before a test. However, it did pay off when I was older.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of the above. I got good grades but I got in a lot of trouble for goofing off, pranks, mouthing off to teachers, fighting, you name it. Actually I didn't really get in much trouble for fighting, mostly got in trouble for stupid stuff.

I turned out okay, though.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was the kid who got caught talking in class. I spent a lot of time standing outside the classroom. School drove me crazy with bordom. I needed to be interested to learn. Loved history hated maths. My grades were okay, and after having kid's of my own I realised how frustrating I must of been to teacher's and my dad.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was the outcast; the new kid in school with a funny- to them, anyway- name, who wore glasses and hand-me-down clothes. I was smart enough to get a NY Regents scholarship, I just found school to be, for the most part, boring.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only went to 3rd and 4th grades in public school, otherwise homeschooled. So, not having the kingergarten-2nd grade experience, I was the nerdiest most socially awkward child possible. I sat on the bench during recess and ate a snack instead of playing. Girls though I was weird and most boys were jerks so I ended up hanging around the nerdy boys. I had a crippling need for approval from adults that really went way too far so it's a good thing none of the adults I was with unsupervised were predators.

I scored extremely high on the entrance exam; they never told me exactly how high but I remember groups of teachers standing around whispering over it and glancing over at me periodically. It was debated whether I should be put in the next higher class. Socially speaking it probably good that they didn't, althought since I didn't fit in socially anyway I suppose it wouldn't have mattered. They sent me to a higher classroom for reading and English. I was mostly bored with the academics but did every assignment full throttle so the teachers would like me.

I found the social pressure and constant need for approval to be exhausting. I scored lower on the end-of-year standardized test than when I took it at the beginning of the year, which "disappointed" the teachers, which nearly killed me.

Once the teacher kept the entire class in at recess because the class clown was clowning, which made me bitter and disillusioned as only a 9-year-old can be. I'm not at all sure what would have happened if I had continued with public school, or if I had gone since kindergarten. No way to know.

hnggggproblems-youre-so-considerate-haha-thanks-i-was-raised-in-63138004.png

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this will make you all chuckle because you have heard me whine about my height (5’0) MANY times. In grade school, from first through about fifth grade I was one of the two tall girls. Me and Mary Jane sat in the back row of the class with the tall boys so we didn’t block the view of the other kids. Unfortunately, puberty hit me early and I simply stopped growing but I didn’t really realize I was short until high school.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this will make you all chuckle because you have heard me whine about my height (5’0) MANY times. In grade school, from first through about fifth grade I was one of the two tall girls. Me and Mary Jane sat in the back row of the class with the tall boys so we didn’t block the view of the other kids. Unfortunately, puberty hit me early and I simply stopped growing but I didn’t really realize I was short until high school.
I didn't either 4'10. I just didn't grow much after 11 years old.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The quiet, smart and "weird" one (I loved reading, libraries National Geographic and history magazines, Eyewitness books, museums, classical music, documentaries, ballet etc all starting at the age of 5. Eventually I also started to enjoy anime as a teen too. Had no interest in dances or partying) and I was bullied reeaalllyy badly. All throughout Elementary school to High School. It was absolute HEAVEN when I finally made it into university. And heaven once more because I am currently doing my Master's Degree.

Unfortunately all the bullying still effects me to this day, with the name calling, my locker being broken into and stuff being destroyed, my items being stolen like my purse and books, batteries and food being thrown at me, being called ugly etc even my kidney disease and family heritage was mocked, Oi! Still working on it though :lol: have to eventually get over all that psychological whatnots, and it is slowly getting better!

Anyway, obvious moral of the story and many other stories....don't bully!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smart and socially awkward. Didn't really have friends in grade school, and was considered weird.

I was still weird in jr high, but I'd made a group of friends and we embraced it so I was more chatty and open, then.