Question of the day - Monday, October 26th

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning folks!

It is a beautiful raining morning in Dallas - LOVE it!!
You Dallas kids out there - please do be careful driving (mrblanche specially, since you drive so much!!!)

The question today is about things - as we move through life, we tend to collect some things, and part from other things... but there are some of them that are so special that they follow us for life... home after home, year after year...
For me it is the China that my Grandmother hand painted for me - some she painted as a set, especially for me, for my first marriage, like the plates, ice cream plates, dessert set, etc; and some I collected throughout the years - every time I go to her house I "gently" raid her cabinets...
She is 96 today and still paints porcelain like nobody I have seen... Because she is one of the people I love and admire the most in the world, these pieces are priceless for me...
So, my grandmother's hand painted porcelain china set are mine most valuable possession....

What is your most treasured possession?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Good morning folks!

You Dallas kids out there - please do be careful driving (mrblanche specially, since you drive so much!!!)

The question today is about things - as we move through life, we tend to collect some things, and part from other things... but there are some of them that are so special that they follow us for life... home after home, year after year...
For me it is the China that my Grandmother hand painted for me - some she painted as a set, especially for me, for my first marriage, like the plates, ice cream plates, dessert set, etc; and some I collected throughout the years - every time I go to her house I "gently" raid her cabinets...
She is 96 today and still paints porcelain like nobody I have seen... Because she is one of the people I love and admire the most in the world, these pieces are priceless for me...
So, my grandmother's hand painted porcelain china set are mine most valuable possession....

This question comes up quite often and I'm sure I answer differently each time.

I have a vast collection of beautiful crystal left to me by my Great Grandmother.

I have a collection of glass elephants which I love too.

I have a painting that Kieran did in my room.

Photos of my RB cats are also precious to me.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a really difficult question, for me at least. I'm the "keeper of the family history" and have items that go back several generations in my family. I feel an obligation to future generations to make sure these items are protected.
As for stuff of my own, I have a large antique doll collection and a fabulous vintage Halloween collection. I don't see myself ever getting rid of either.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three porcelain cherubs that were on my great grandmother's wedding cake, my grandmother's wedding cake, my mother's wedding cake then my wedding cake. Needless to say they are safely where the cats can't get at them......!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

That's a really difficult question, for me at least. I'm the "keeper of the family history" and have items that go back several generations in my family. I feel an obligation to future generations to make sure these items are protected.
As for stuff of my own, I have a large antique doll collection and a fabulous vintage Halloween collection. I don't see myself ever getting rid of either.
I have a lot of old family photos and some heirlooms.

As for just me - some orginal artwork done for me, and Mom's jewelry, and several mineral and fossil specimens. Oh, and a desk my maternal grandfather made.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There wasn't really anything handed down through either side of the family. I pretty much have nothing, not even pictures.

I tend not to form really strong attachments to objects. The closest may be my music collection (no one is allowed to touch it but me) and my childhood My Little Pony collection.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm....well pictures are one of my treasured possessions. I have a stuffed animal kitten that I have had since I was 4 (aka for 16 years!) that means a lot to me! Kitty got me through a lot as a kid! My animals are my most treasured thing. That is all I can think of really!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A teddy bear that I inherited from my grandmother when she died.
Pictures of my Rocky & Jenny that passed away not too long ago.
My furkids.

A bottle of wine the lady who runs the shelter where I volunteer got me for my 21st birthday and it has a lab on it that looks like my Jenny that passed away in February.

There's probably more.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Outside of my children's baby books I'd have to say my Granny's spice rack. It doesn't have any monetary value, but I told her when I was little I wanted it. She gave it to me a couple of years ago. She is 95 now and not doing so well. They recently put her into a nursing home. I don't know how much longer she'll hold on.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My baby blanket.
It was handsewn by a family friend. It has a pink seersucker-like material for the back, but instead of stripes it is little dots. Than the front is a patchwork of stars. Mainly pink, white and green patterns of flowers or plaids.

It was great when you were sick because it kept your warm when you needed to be but also cool when you needed to be. 30 years later and I still have it and it still makes me feel really secure when I take it out and snuggle it up to my face. It is a magic blanket!

I also have my Teddy (Andy Pandy, the panda bear) and Bo-Bo the clown that my Mom had to keep resewing the eyes and nose onto.
She is a good Mom.

Other than those three things I have nothing else that I prefer to hold onto for long periods of time.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Good morning folks!

If I had a 96 year old grandmther I am sure she would be my most treasured possesion although people do not possess other people.

As far as actual possessions, I would vote for my grandfathers railroad pocket watch. Great big Roman numerals, a true work of art. Just don't forget to wind it daily.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I tend not to form really strong attachments to objects. The closest may be my music collection (no one is allowed to touch it but me) and my childhood My Little Pony collection.

I am not much of a collector and I feel like everything is replaceable in one way or another, even if I don't get the exact same thing I could get something that could serve the same purpose, so I just don't care.
I don't have anything that was passed down, I guess I treasure any gifts I've received from my family for my graduation and things like that. My family feels like they need to give memorable gifts so I got jewelry- a gold gemstone ring and earrings that must have been expensive from my grandparents..I feel like they try to leave me something that I can keep and remember them by which makes me sad that they feel like they won't be here for much longer, but I dislike getting gifts because I feel ungrateful since I just can't appreciate the value of things ...I feel very grateful for the gesture, but I still feel guilty for not caring about the thing I'm getting.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

but I dislike getting gifts because I feel ungrateful since I just can't appreciate the value of things ...I feel very grateful for the gesture, but I still feel guilty for not caring about the thing I'm getting.
I feel the same way! I am glad I am not the only one! The people in my life now know not get me anything that has "meaning" as I just don't get the corralation between this "thing" and what it is supposed to signify.
I finally had to say something! Luckily I have the kind of family that doesn't take offense easily. They thought it was good to know!

I HATE getting cat gifts! My Mom got me a cat figurine once and I felt so bad that I really hated this thing.
But I really do treasure the thought behind it. Which makes me sad because they spend their hard earned money on something I don't fully appreciate.

They get me useful gifts instead, which I can see the value of.
I love any kind of cooking gadget. Little things that I wouldn't think to buy myself. Like a zester, or a mandolin (used to slice eggs or tomatoes w/o mess).

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still have my baby blanket, stored in a plastic blanket bag. 2 Winnie The Poohs, one has a music box in it (where you wind the back and it plays the Winnie the Pooh song) and the other is non-musical. My mom gave me my baby book and bunch of photos of me, my sis and her and other relatives.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I feel the same way! I am glad I am not the only one! The people in my life now know not get me anything that has "meaning" as I just don't get the corralation between this "thing" and what it is supposed to signify.
I finally had to say something! Luckily I have the kind of family that doesn't take offense easily. They thought it was good to know!

I HATE getting cat gifts! My Mom got me a cat figurine once and I felt so bad that I really hated this thing.
But I really do treasure the thought behind it. Which makes me sad because they spend their hard earned money on something I don't fully appreciate.

They get me useful gifts instead, which I can see the value of.
I love any kind of cooking gadget. Little things that I wouldn't think to buy myself. Like a zester, or a mandolin (used to slice eggs or tomatoes w/o mess).
Oh wow it sure feels nice to know i am not the only one too
I have told my parents to buy me something small or otherwise not buy me anything at all too. My mom usually gets me perfumes lately because I couldn't possibly not like those and I never typically buy those for myself since there isn't a single product I use that is fragrance free so if I add perfume I feel like I'd smell ridiculously strong and the smells would all mix
I wish soaps and shampoos and moisturizers would be all fragrance free sometimes...But if it's a gift I can appreciate the smell and every once in a while i'll put it on..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am not much of a collector and I feel like everything is replaceable in one way or another, even if I don't get the exact same thing I could get something that could serve the same purpose, so I just don't care.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely hate replacing things - to do so costs money and I hate spending money. If something isn't broken beyond repair, I won't replace it. An example is computers - Most people will completely replace their's when something goes wrong. I fix it and use the computer for as many years as I can.. then pack it away when I get a new one instead of throwing it out. (If you run a nice linux distro, even a ten year old machine can run fairly fast).

It's simply that I don't form strong emotional attachments to objects.

I wish soaps and shampoos and moisturizers would be all fragrance free sometimes..
Me too. Thankfully people have finally learned I'm hypersensitive to scents. If a smell is too strong I gag, cough, and go into a mini fit, I can't suppress it.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely hate replacing things - to do so costs money and I hate spending money. If something isn't broken beyond repair, I won't replace it. An example is computers - Most people will completely replace their's when something goes wrong. I fix it and use the computer for as many years as I can.. then pack it away when I get a new one instead of throwing it out. (If you run a nice linux distro, even a ten year old machine can run fairly fast).

It's simply that I don't form strong emotional attachments to objects.
I meant that everything is replaceable in a sense that there is no point in holding any object dear if it is something you can always replace, unlike people and animals who are unique and you can never replace them

I guess I can see how some people can be attached to a certain object if they are attached more so to its significance, but that just doesn't work for me- I keep what the object represents separate in my mind.
I hate wasting money too, and I love doing something myself and saving money that way. It makes me feel street smart

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Russian grandad's pocket watch he left me. He was the most amazing man I've ever known. I wouldn't take anything for it; it's all I have left of him!!