Question of the Day - Monday, October 24, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
September was very slow for me but man October is flying!! I’m going to get a little jump on Monday’s question in case I’m busy. Plus I had a little nap when everyone else was getting ready for bed so now I’m up. :rolleyes2:

My mom and I are both doing clean-outs cleaning our houses with big projects ongoing at both. She found one of my stepsister’s bridesmaid dress from my wedding. I’m going to see if it fits DD. :lol: When my kids were little she used my other stepsister’s and a friends dresses to have my bestie make a dress for DD and a vest for DS. They were deep red so they wore them at Christmas and it was super cute! :redheartpump: We had their pictures done and framed by a studio in them too. :redheartpump:

Have you ever been in a wedding outside of your own?

I have been a bridesmaid three times and I guess a flower girl or maybe junior bridesmaid once. That was for my mom and stepdad’s wedding and they had all of us kids stand up with them. There were no petals or anything like that but we carried bouquets of silk flowers. We didn’t get fancy dresses but we did match. I think they were from Sears. The wedding was planned in all of a month so there was no time for elaborate plans. But then by today’s standards even the proper bridesmaid gowns I wore were more affordable because my friends and I were too young and broke to ask each other to spend a fortune. 🤪 $100 dresses were a lot back then.

I have 2 of my bridesmaid dresses still in my closet. One friend recently divorced so I could and probably should just donate it or toss it. I don’t think either are vintage enough yet to be desirable.:lol: The other dress was second hand to begin with.

Looking back that wedding was pretty sad. I was all of 15 standing up with a girl I chatted with at church who was barely 18 and pregnant. Her maid of honor was an older relative and I got paired with her creepy uncle. That was it for the bridal party; no other friends or anything. The marriage didn’t last long either.:ohwell: Poor girl. They tried though.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The best wedding I was “in” I wasn’t in at all! I was sitting in a Greek restaurant, minding my own business, when all of a sudden the bride and groom came bursting out of their private area, all guests in tow, musicians, the works. They invited everyone to dance, drink champagne, snacks, people threw dollars at them, which is I guess the custom. Then pouff! They dashed out the front door into a waiting white limo. Best wedding I never attended.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was matron of honor for step sister and maid of honor once. Lol I had just had my daughter when measured for the matron of honor dress and it didn’t fit well by wedding day. Oops! It has long since been donated. The other dress is vintage and I have kept it. strider rose strider rose If I were ever to need a bridesmaid, I would ask you! ( Not that I have and plans for that! :p) You are beyond liked. You are loved here. I am also sure that Banjo will be asking you. ;) Just waiting for her Prince to pop the question.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not married. I was a bridesmaid at my best friend’s wedding in the 80s - in a dress that was like a pink version of Princess Diana’s. (And they call the 70s the decade that taste forgot!)

At least the taffeta was cut up into more attractive things later, lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, no others, though I have been married twice now to my husband! He joined the church and they said that we needed to be married again, "in the eyes of the church", after 44 years! So be it, we did at the alter all dressed up with witnesses, and no one else. My husband told everyone he really had to think about it, no offer of a dowry and bringing all those cats to raise!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, My youngest Brother. He was married by a Judge in a Courtyard in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. It was a small affair just family from both sides.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been part of a wedding party, and I'm glad. I'm not comfortable standing in front of crowds. I had a hard enough time being in the spotlight for my own wedding. If I was ever asked, I would probably say no...and just hope that they would understand.
It's funny that this is the question today! We just got back from a wedding out of town this weekend. I'm completely and utterly spent! It was fun to see all our old friends again, but man, all of them are big partiers...where as I am not. We got back yesterday, but I took today off from work as I knew I would need to recover from two days of staying up late and drinking...I could probably use a couple days though. Everyone there seemed in good health so I hope I don't get sick...

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a bridesmaid to each of my sisters, and bridesmaid for one friend. My son has been a part of two weddings as a small child. Renting a tux for a kid is about the same price as buying a bridesmaid dress. 😲

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bridesmaid for my best friend and Maid of Honor for my sister. When my youth group leader in high school got married, some of us were her choir, so it was half involved.

I wanted to be a flower girl so badly as a child, but never got to be. My brother isn't married yet, so maybe there will be hope for J.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was never asked to be in a wedding and no one ever asked me to marry them either. I know I'm not very well liked but that's ok, I'm over it. LOL.
Being a bridesmaid today sounds very expensive and overrated! I hear about expensive dresses, throwing multiple showers/parties and whole girls weekend getaways and I’m like NOPE. I did decline a friend’s destination wedding long before the invites. My youngest was a baby and I was not jetting off to the Bahamas for a weekend. :headshake:
Twice in the 70's. It is true about the 70's both dresses were really bad.
I have pictures from my aunts first wedding. The dresses and tuxes were epic! :lol:
Bridesmaid for my best friend and Maid of Honor for my sister. When my youth group leader in high school got married, some of us were her choir, so it was half involved.

I wanted to be a flower girl so badly as a child, but never got to be. My brother isn't married yet, so maybe there will be hope for J.
I wanted to be one too. I was SO shy but the pretty white dresses… :hearthrob: DD got to be one for my cousin because her niece was also shy and the same age. They thought 2 shy girls would do better. They looked ADORABLE! But neither smiled and they didn’t stick together. DD was super serious about her job of dropping petals. She was also scared of walking under the huge organ pipes at the back of this historic chapel.:lol:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
never been married but i was best man in all 4 weddings my best friend had. i told him this is the last time man i cant afford it no more sostay married to this girl :lol:obviously he is not good husband material after 3 failed marriages pretty sure the fault is on him he shares alot of the same character defects that i have:biggrin:. thats also not counting all weddings of my cousins i have alot of em:lol:i am broke every christmas buying gifts for all the kids of close friends and family.the bad uncle albert spoils em all with bags of candy or loud obnoxious toys to give their parents head aches

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, and if I were asked today I'd find a way to weasel out of it. I hate dressing up and I hate having my daily routine messed with.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from my own, I have been in one other.......sort of. I was the photographer when my parents celebrated their 50th anniversary by renewing their vows.