Question of the Day - Monday, October 23, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this month flying by to anyone else? I'm trying to enjoy it! It's been cool enough to enjoy my leggings and switch between t-shirts and hoodies with them. :cloud9: It does look like the East Coast of the US is expecting a heat wave for the end of this week. I was hoping to get to the corn maze without sweating through it. 😅

Last weekend DD and I attended a local Craft/Vendor Market and had a really good time. I brought home 2 marshmallow shooters for DH and DS. They are just simple pvc pipes and elbow joints. Simple but effective! A very fun-grandfatherly gentleman was selling them and having a blast sending the occasional marshmallow out at people. He startled DD sending one by her and he had us laughing. Another grandpa-type man came by and he told him to go by the wall where there was an open booth so he could show how far you can send one with these. Of course that man acted like he was going to catch it in his mouth. (He missed.;)) They were being so silly. :lol2: It seemed like all these husbands following their wives around enjoyed his little fun booth and antics. DS didn't get to try his out yet because we were out of marshmallows. I just got home with the groceries and YES I am SUPER tempted to send one at him while he's doing math. :paperbag::lol:

Did you have homemade/handmade toys growing up?

My Grandfathers were both into woodworking so I had some awesome things. My dollhouse was the most complex and it's still in my living room now. But I also had a wooden doll cradle the same grandpa made when I was young. We put DD in it for a picture when she was about a month old. :redheartpump: In retrospect I should have brought it to the photographer for her newborn pictures.

I also had a simple rubber-band shooter that was basically just a piece of wood with a clothes pin on top. The cats loved that one too. ;)

My grandma did a lot of sewing so I had some things she and I made together for my dolls. I did have a crochet snowman but back then the yarn was scratchy so I didn't love it like I would have a soft one. I also had a handmade stuffed Care Bear that came from a family friend I believe.

I have some other odds and ends that came from getting to play in my grandpa's workshop with him just being creative and trying things out. Thinking back; those handmade toys are the ones I've saved. There's just something special about things that took time and skill to be made for you.

(I also found an older gentleman selling really nicely made woodworking like bird houses, see-saws, rocking chairs/horses, etc for kids. He had some cute cat and dog figures too. They were probably a foot or a little over tall. He sold out of the birdhouse with the cat on top but it turns out he lives in the same town I do; so I ordered one. :redheartpump: He looked super pleased with the attention his items were getting! It's nice to see things like that being appreciated the way they were.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My maternal grandma and my mom were/are very crafty, so I got a lot of handmade stuff, mainly clothes, but some toys. The craftiness was passed down and I make handmade toys for my nieces at every opportunity. It's rare for them to not receive something I've made at birthdays or Christmas.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, no handmade toys growing up but I made several homemade toys our children. They are some of their favorite storybook characters I drew by hand, stuffed and sewed. They still have them in their room even though they're grown and have moved out.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only handmade thing I got was a quilt top from my Grandmother. I am from a very rural area and I was born in 1956 and there were still the ladies clubs that got together to quilt. One of those groups quilted it for me. I am not from a really craftsy family either.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No - my mother worked full time so didn't have the spare hours to make toys! The only time she would was making paper dolls for me when I went through a phase of playing with them and making them myself.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh yes, both of my Grandfathers were into wood working so we had home made doll beds and shelves for displaying little trinkets, etc.
My Grandma made all her kids doll clothes back in the '60's, so we had a lot of those.
My most recent hand made "toy" is a several years old competition sized agility A-frame and teeter that a friend made for me, but, I haven't had those out in years as Tag didn't enjoy working outside and Livie is a little too spazzy for me to put on full size equipment just yet. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No we didn't. We are not crafty people.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I did sleep in this morning but when did it become 2024? :running: :flail:
Hmm… maybe we had a visit from Rip Van Winkle’s friends? That could explain why I struggled to get up today. :lol:
The only handmade thing I got was a quilt top from my Grandmother. I am from a very rural area and I was born in 1956 and there were still the ladies clubs that got together to quilt. One of those groups quilted it for me. I am not from a really craftsy family either.
Quilting is hard work! That’s really special! :redheartpump:
No - my mother worked full time so didn't have the spare hours to make toys! The only time she would was making paper dolls for me when I went through a phase of playing with them and making them myself.
:redheartpump: I think almost everything I had came from grandparents who were all retired and had a little more time on their hands. My mom did make me a dress and a couple other little things; but generally she worked too much for that. She’s more of a baker anyway.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not as I recall. Nobody was very creative in my family.

Many years ago, I tried giving homemade snowballs for Christmas trees. They were really pretty and we still have a couple. My mother was quite put out that I gave her something like that, even if it wasn't as a gift. She never wanted homemade cards either. When I tried making cards, she asked me if we couldn't afford nice cards. It had nothing to do with money; I just wanted to make them.