Question of the Day - Monday, October 2, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not quite ready to believe it's October already. This year has flown and crept by at the same time. The one thing I am getting excited about is cooking some different foods I haven't n a while. I don't have any hard-fast rules about what seasons things need to be made in; I make soup all summer after all. But I guess I do have some comfort foods I don't really make when it's hot. I saw this fun idea for a "Chili Board" where they laid out all kinds of toppings and things next to a big pot of chili. And now I'm thinking that would be an awesome New Year's Eve dinner idea if we host something; but I would keep things in separate dishes. (Normally I do appetizers and it's just us anyway.)

Here's the image (linked above):
chili board.jpg

How do you like your Chili? If you don't like chili; what do you prefer instead?

I will typically mix ground beef and turkey to make chili for us. I always use a lower sodium seasoning but I don't mix my own. I use tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, add frozen corn (or canned if it's what I have on hand), and lime juice. Usually I add kidney beans but sometimes I'll use different ones. We all like a little cheddar cheese on top and a good dollop of plain Greek yogurt. My kids and I like it over some elbow noodles but DH prefers it on it's own or with tortilla chips to scoop up. If I can; I make it in the crock pot so it can really build the flavors and keep everything tender. :yummy:

We do like cornbread on the side so I'll have DD make corn muffins. It's nice to hand off jobs like that and not have to think much about them. DS will also help make the chili. It's one of the first dishes both learned to make since it's mostly browning meat and using a can opener. It's warmed back up here again; but soon I think I'll make it anyway! :yummy:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like chilli with shredded orange cheese on top. Not sure of the name of the cheese. Maybe American or cheddar.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like mine with pinto or black beans and meat. Shredded Cheddar cheese on top, some diced raw onions, cilantro if it's around and a dollop of sour cream. I sometimes layer the tortilla chips at the bottom of the bowl instead of crushing on top.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I make veggie chili all year round and use fire roasted crushed tomatoes, 4 types of beans, chili powder seasoning with cumin, garlic and oregano, 3 types of peppers, corn, mushrooms and slices of avocado on top. I love cornbread with it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like chilli with shredded orange cheese on top. Not sure of the name of the cheese. Maybe American or cheddar.
Does it melt like grilled cheese? Then it's probably American. Otherwise I'd guess cheddar. I've been using a "queso blend" that would be good too!
I like mine with pinto or black beans and meat. Shredded Cheddar cheese on top, some diced raw onions, cilantro if it's around and a dollop of sour cream. I sometimes layer the tortilla chips at the bottom of the bowl instead of crushing on top.
That sounds so good! I'm assuming you use fresh cilantro? I really like it but I've never thought to add it to my chili. I have the kind that comes in a tube in olive oil. I'll have to give it a go.
I make veggie chili all year round and use fire roasted crushed tomatoes, 4 types of beans, chili powder seasoning with cumin, garlic and oregano, 3 types of peppers, corn, mushrooms and slices of avocado on top. I love cornbread with it too.
That sounds really good too! My friend's dad made a chili loaded with veggies and it was FANTASTIC. I had never seen him cook and she was surviving school on hotdogs, grapes and coke because they both worked in the evening. :barfgreen: I had no idea he ever cooked. :lol2: But gosh I've never forgotten that chili.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not quite ready to believe it's October already. This year has flown and crept by at the same time. The one thing I am getting excited about is cooking some different foods I haven't n a while. I don't have any hard-fast rules about what seasons things need to be made in; I make soup all summer after all. But I guess I do have some comfort foods I don't really make when it's hot. I saw this fun idea for a "Chili Board" where they laid out all kinds of toppings and things next to a big pot of chili. And now I'm thinking that would be an awesome New Year's Eve dinner idea if we host something; but I would keep things in separate dishes. (Normally I do appetizers and it's just us anyway.)

Here's the image (linked above):
View attachment 460824

How do you like your Chili? If you don't like chili; what do you prefer instead?

I will typically mix ground beef and turkey to make chili for us. I always use a lower sodium seasoning but I don't mix my own. I use tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, add frozen corn (or canned if it's what I have on hand), and lime juice. Usually I add kidney beans but sometimes I'll use different ones. We all like a little cheddar cheese on top and a good dollop of plain Greek yogurt. My kids and I like it over some elbow noodles but DH prefers it on it's own or with tortilla chips to scoop up. If I can; I make it in the crock pot so it can really build the flavors and keep everything tender. :yummy:

We do like cornbread on the side so I'll have DD make corn muffins. It's nice to hand off jobs like that and not have to think much about them. DS will also help make the chili. It's one of the first dishes both learned to make since it's mostly browning meat and using a can opener. It's warmed back up here again; but soon I think I'll make it anyway! :yummy:
Your Chili Spread looks delicious .

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually make a big batch of chili (ground beef, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, onions and spices) in the fall and freeze individual containers. Sometimes I have it as is but I also like it with macaroni shells in it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cook less and eat less in the summer because of the fresh produce available.

I make a conventional chili, ground beef, diced onion, diced tomatos and kidney beans. I usually just get the packaged chili seasoning mix in a medium heat, if the medium isn't available I use one packet of mild and one packet of hot. I usually put a little shredded sharp cheddar and sour cream on top.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love that chili board. I will do something similar for pizza toppings when people come in for grilled pizza.

Chili with ground beef, lots of onions, a good variety of peppers, tomatoes, kidney beans, and spices. Rick likes his over rice and it is good that way. A bit of shredded cheese, no sour cream. And some kind of cornbread. I like to simmer it in the crock pot all day.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm fine with beans in my chili and I have made it with ground beef, ground turkey and chourico.