Question of the Day - Monday, October 10, 2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You let that boy be! There's nothing more satisfying than a well organised shed. Cleaning out my shed is on my to-do list. Just as soon as I have my wood pile properly sorted.

;)

My favourite autumn food is persimmons.
Just so long as he learns multiplication and spelling well enough to not have to clean sheds for a living. :lol:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Love all the squashes!! I do eat a lot of them, roasted, baked, with just butter.. so good.
And roasted veggies: carrots, potatoes, with onions, and some squash.. sometimes herb de Provence, or tarragon, or thyme, or whatever spice I grab..

Soups... gotta start making some. Comfort food....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love all the squashes!! I do eat a lot of them, roasted, baked, with just butter.. so good.
And roasted veggies: carrots, potatoes, with onions, and some squash.. sometimes herb de Provence, or tarragon, or thyme, or whatever spice I grab..

Soups... gotta start making some. Comfort food....
I found a vinegar infused with herbs and a rosemary infused olive oil while on vacation last spring. Of course they are long gone but MAN I want to get more to try on roasted veggies!!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roasted apple, sticky toffee pudding, pumpkin muffins, apple crumble, pumpkin soup, sweet potato (especially sweet potato fries!), squash, pears and mac and cheese.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My friend let me try a soup she makes, and I was immediately addicted to it. We call it "crack soup" :lol: It's just sausage, potato, and kale in a cream and broth base, very simple but so very good. I'm actually going to make it tomorrow or Thursday, it was 75 and sunny today. Not soup-y weather, but the temp is supposed to dip down quite a bit, soup always is good then.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I’ve had a version of that soup. I can eat any soup year round. My grandmas were both big soup makers. Its comfort food to me!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I’ve had a version of that soup. I can eat any soup year round. My grandmas were both big soup makers. Its comfort food to me!
Gee I'm envious as no one passed down any "Soup Making Talents" to me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither had written recipes so they kind of didn't with me either. I even searched their cookbooks when they were not able to cook anymore. I just look up recipes or throw stuff together. It usually turns out good. :lol:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the real 'old fashioned' way of making soups. I do remember a lot from my mom, by watching. As she was descending into dementia/alzheimers, my mom and DAD would make the soups together. My dad was an Army Cook (medical Corps) during WWII. They really loved his food. He was a good cook.

So, my dad taught me. I wrote down all the steps... bones, chuck steak, onions with peppercorns and bay leaf wrapped in cheesecloth and tied with string... yup, all the good old fashioned stuff.. Make my own stock, etc... so good..
Chicken soup, Tomato soup, Beet Soup, my own minestrone, veggie soup... yup... the last 2 are a bit easier.. I cheat a bit, and sometimes add chicken broth.

I need to start doing them again.. Healthy and so good. I can half a recipe for myself. My dad loved soup. He said my soups were really good. I kind of tweaked them to my taste...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I picked up some stuff over the years, but I am definitely NOT talented at cooking. ;)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got the real 'old fashioned' way of making soups. I do remember a lot from my mom, by watching. As she was descending into dementia/alzheimers, my mom and DAD would make the soups together. My dad was an Army Cook (medical Corps) during WWII. They really loved his food. He was a good cook.

So, my dad taught me. I wrote down all the steps... bones, chuck steak, onions with peppercorns and bay leaf wrapped in cheesecloth and tied with string... yup, all the good old fashioned stuff.. Make my own stock, etc... so good..
Chicken soup, Tomato soup, Beet Soup, my own minestrone, veggie soup... yup... the last 2 are a bit easier.. I cheat a bit, and sometimes add chicken broth.

I need to start doing them again.. Healthy and so good. I can half a recipe for myself. My dad loved soup. He said my soups were really good. I kind of tweaked them to my taste...
Oh I love minestrone. So good and hearty, definitely a soup that's a meal.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My moms mom made chicken soup every week and whenever someone was sick. My other grandma had a few she rotated constantly but my favorite was basically Italian Wedding Soup. She’s still living (and her 104th birthday is in just over a month) but not able to do much or recall it anymore.

I think my favorite to make myself is split pea soup using a good leftover ham bone. Especially with good bread! DS even goes for 2nds with that.

I’ve been watching sodium so homemade is really the way to go. I did a cabbage soup a couple years ago that turned out SO good! I used a few slices of bacon in the beginning that gave it so much flavor! I need to try that again soon. And I need more freezer containers so I can portion it out for later!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Beef stew, chili, soup, all homemade and slow-cooked. Pumpkin pie. Apple pie. (Sugar-free) apple cider (I'm diabetic, and I miss the regular stuff). Cornbread.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beef stew, chili, soup, all homemade and slow-cooked. Pumpkin pie. Apple pie. (Sugar-free) apple cider (I'm diabetic, and I miss the regular stuff). Cornbread.
Ooo cornbread! I made chili tonight and it really hit the spot. I should have had DD whip up some cornbread! We had it over whole grain pasta though.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished off the pasta, soup tomorrow.
I really wanted Chinese food. The place I like is about 30+ minutes away. I opened my fridge and food practically fell out and I was like "this is stupid you do NOT need to carve out over an hour of your day to get Chinese food when your refrigerator looks like this."
The pasta was good and I know the soup will be too. But eventually, some day soon, I'm going to get in my car and go get my veggie fried rice!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sticky toffee pudding has become more well known in the U.S. the last few years. Gordon Ramsey has it on the menu in his restaurants in the U.S. I hadn't tried it but it does sound good, very sweet and rich.
We have a place not too far away that serves it. I always think about trying it but end up leaving too full. The woman who started the restaurant grew up in London; so hopefully it's accurate! I like trying things from different places as long as it's not too out there.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a place not too far away that serves it. I always think about trying it but end up leaving too full. The woman who started the restaurant grew up in London; so hopefully it's accurate! I like trying things from different places as long as it's not too out there.
When properly done it should be sticky and moist but not stodgy - the key trick is to add dates if you ever try making it yourself! You can get really delicious cheap sticky toffee puddings at supermarkets here. My favourite supermarket sticky toffee pudding is from Marks and Spencers, which is more expensive but worth paying extra for!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither had written recipes so they kind of didn't with me either. I even searched their cookbooks when they were not able to cook anymore. I just look up recipes or throw stuff together. It usually turns out good. :lol:
My DW has that talent. She can throw things together effortlessly . Much of her experience came being from a poor family. You take what you have available and create.