Question of the Day - Monday, October 10, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everyone in the northern hemisphere is having as beautiful of a fall day as we are today. The house was chilly this morning but now it feels really nice out. I sent DS out to play for a while and he's out there rearranging the shed. :dunno: He's also been on the swing set and tested various ride-on toys and defeated some fall cobwebs. But reorganizing the shed? I mean who am I to stop him? Plus then he's not doing math problems. :lol:

What are your favorite fall foods?

I think my favorite is the winter squash coming in. Especially acorn squash. DH doesn't like squash (unless we're talking pumpkin desserts) and only one of our kids likes it. So more for me! I roasted some acorn squash the other day and added a little powdered ranch mix to it. WOW. Soooo good! Usually just some butter and pepper is enough; but man oh man I enjoyed every bite of that! :lol:

I really enjoy local apple cider too. And the apple cider donuts from a local orchard. It was hot the other day when we went through the corn maze and my kids thought it was a race; so I went for an apple cider slushie afterwards. It was AMAZING.

I have brussels sprouts and baby carrots in the refrigerator that I want to roast for dinner tonight too. It'll be a good way to add some heat to the house before another chilly night too. ;)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apples and the pumpkin baked goods like pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread.

The only squash I like really well is acorn squash. I cut them in half, put butter a little brown sugar and cinnamon on them, and bake them. My mother-in-law made a lot of zucchini bread. It was okay but I prefer pumpkin bread.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
But reorganizing the shed? I mean who am I to stop him?
You let that boy be! There's nothing more satisfying than a well organised shed. Cleaning out my shed is on my to-do list. Just as soon as I have my wood pile properly sorted.

;)

My favourite autumn food is persimmons.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaghetti squash
Pink lady and granny smith apples
Chili
Nicole's apple pie
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Hot cocoa with whipped cream
and more....

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Concord grapes. We had a vine in the yard when I was growing up.

Squash is nasty! Especially when you're at someone's house and you think the dish is sweet potatoes, which you love.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Squash. I love roasted butternut squash chunks with nothing more than olive oil, a bit of salt, and a good sprinkling of pepper. I fill acorn squash halves with spinach, bacon, and Parm and bake.

Pumpkin. I make these amazing pumpkin bars with a cream cheese frosting. No, I don't like cream cheese, but I add a bit of orange peel to the cream cheese frosting to give it an orange-y tang. And those bars are so good. Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, pumpkin yeast rolls. Pumpkin whoopie pies with a marshmallow filling.

Apples! Be still my heart! Pies, dumplings, cookies, crisp, all the apple goodness.

All kinds of soups and stews. I like to put something in the crock pot in the morning and let it cook all day while we're working outside. All I have to do when I come in the house is throw a salad together, grab some muffins or rolls out of the freezer to microwave and we have dinner.