Question Of The Day - Monday, November 5, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not great weather here today. But in true form I've gotten more done this morning than I would on a sunny day. Mooch and Noodles are both more active today too. Although neither are pleased with the flavors I chose for their breakfasts apparently. :rolleyes: They are enjoying the leaves falling and birds visiting the feeder. Mooch has A LOT to say. :lol:

Can you roller skate? Roller blade? Ice skate?

I have not tried to do any of these in years. When I was a kid I was pretty good on roller skates. I could ice skate a little; but never better than a few turns around the rink staying near a wall. I've been thinking about it because I realized I've not taken my kids to do any of them. And I'm not sure how well I'd do even roller skating to teach them. My DD would probably pick things up fine on her own. She is more athletic. DS; I just don't know. DH tried to teach him to ride his bike without training wheels the other day. It did not go well. :oops:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had my own skates or blades, but I played around with a friend's rollerblades a bit as a kid, and I went ice skating a few times. As far as I remember I mostly stayed on my feet, but I have a feeling that that's the best I can say about it :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to roller skate and ice skate a lot. I took my kids ice skating on a Christmas card pond in a nearby town a number of times. But I wouldn't think of it today. My bones are way too soft, and I can't risk a fall.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of those. I'm not coordinated enough :dizzycat:I remember getting a pair of ice skates for Christmas when I was maybe 3. My parents refused to let me even try the skates on. Another time a neighbor gave me a beat up pair of roller skates her niece had outgrown. I wasn't allowed to wear them either.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Living in a climate with cold winters I ice skated a lot as a child and young adult but never really cared for roller skating. There's noting like ice skating outdoors then coming in for hot cocoa. :bliss:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you roller skate? Roller blade? Ice skate?

I have not tried to do any of these in years. When I was a kid I was pretty good on roller skates. I could ice skate a little; ... I've been thinking about it because I realized I've not taken my kids to do any of them. ...
I roller skated and ice skated in grade school, junior high, and high school.
:sigh: Those were the days...

I've not done so as an adult, though. MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , you should take your kids out to try both of these! They might have a lot of fun!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to roller skate when I was a kid. We had those metal skates that you strapped to your shoes.

Ice skate? NO. That would require me to go somewhere where there was ice on purpose. I don't do things like that. I detest the cold. I especially hate ice when I'm falling down on it. I had enough of that on our driveway from :devilish:

Ice belongs in a drink and that's about it. Roller blading? Never tried it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take this as a dare. You want me to go outside, strap shoes to my feet that have wheels stuck to the bottom, roll around as fast as I can out there, and then see if I can walk back inside, or if I need a stretcher? :flail: I'm not a gambling man but I'd bet against myself. :thumbsup:

Really, when I was a kid I was actually pretty good on skates. I could do a lot of the fancy turns and some fun spinny mid air jumps, but I wouldn't attempt it today unless I had some weird, wheel related injury wish.

Ice skating was done on a frozen pond in our shoes and it was the same thing. Ice skates were too expensive to risk losing if we fell through the ice. :crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've skated in every way at some point in my life. I found out when I was 5 that it's a bad idea to hold the dog's leash while wearing roller skates. It's not going to work out like in the cartoons! I was pretty good on rollerblades when I was a teenager. I never was very good at ice skating. I mean, I won't die or anything, but I can't do anything more than just move around. It is NOT like rollerblading, not a bit! No matter what the ice skaters tell you, lol.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was young I had the roller skates that would clamp on your shoes and we would go up and down the street. I could skate forward in the rink if I didn't go too fast. Tried ice skating once and never made it past two strokes. I agree with kat0120 that ice belongs in a drink. Forget roller blading. I knew better than to try it. I am just not that coordinated or athletic.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Old enough to remember those horrid, metal strap on things they called skates. Tried it a few times on a city sidewalk. You can imagine how well that went. Grew up in the 80's so going to the local roller rink was practically a requirement, so yes, I can skate, forwards and backwards. As for ice-skating, I did it once with some friends before the holidays and I took my sons to an ice skating birthday party once. It was on April Fool's day and we piggy-backed a prank to it. After the party, we went to CVS and bought a sling and pretended my oldest broke his arm. To this day, the boys still talk about pulling that prank on their dad.