Question Of The Day - Monday, November 26, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that Thanksgiving is over; we are in full Christmas decorate mode here at my house.

So tell me how you feel about Christmas lights:

Colored, white, mixed, or none? Large bulbs or fairy lights? Moving or still?

We prefer the colored fairy lights on our tree. I have a green garland with white lights that goes up around the kitchen. Occasionally I'll put up a silver garland with white lights in our foyer too. I used to have a strand with large, clear iridescent bulbs that went around the living room. Too many bulbs were dying so I gave up. I haven't found a good replacement yet. The iridescent bulbs were so pretty. Even DH didn't want to take those down at the end of the season. It left a nice soft light around the room. Most of our lights are LED now and I don't like the white LED lights; it's a cool, harsh glow vs the old warm white look that I like.

On the outside of the house we have colored LED fairy lights. I like the look of the old large bulbs; but I found a special on these a few years ago on Black Friday so thats what we have for now. I noticed a lot of my neighbors have their lights up already too. Most people seem to like the fairy lights; but one house had their fence done in the large bulbs and it was just pretty!

I prefer still lights; but I have a new path set that is multi function. Unfortunately the only steady-glow functions are with the white lights. So I have that set to motion but not a fast one. It shouldn't be anything that sets off issues for sensitive people. (I hope!)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live so far out no one would see outside light. Since both Onsa and Samai (mostly Onsa) have been absolute terrors these past few weeks, inside lights would be...bad.
Although, I do have 100% coverage on my homeowners insurance, so I would get a new house.:)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always go for still lights. The only moving sort I don't mind are the slow-cycling colour change ones. Coloured lights are childhood nostalgia, and the only sort mum will have on the tree. I prefer warm white lights, but mum usually wins!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The TWT has blue and white LED mini lights. I am not a fan of the blue LED lights at all....they seem more of a blue-purple and I don't think they're as pretty as the older lights.

Our traditional living room tree is prelit with LED white lights. Rick also decorates with strings of LED colored lights. We use bubble lights. And some flicker flame lights. We have a strand of lights with small holiday houses that Rick used this year.

The bedroom tree is done with just red LED mini lights. We didn't put that tree up this year.

Above the kitchen cabinets is a strand of bell lights in various colors. When we did the kitchen over a few years ago, we put receptacles above the cabinets, just for plugging in holiday lights.

Outside on the large pine tree are strands of C9 colored lights. Rick usually does the entrance in red and green mini lights. We succumbed to the hype a couple years ago and bought a Star Shower.....a complete waste of money, IMO.

I'd like to buy some little rice lights; I think they're pretty. I'd also like to buy some candles for the windows, but never do.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of do want to put a tree up but probably won't because hurricane Sophie would go through that thing in no time. It's not a coincidence that those storms are measured in CATS. :dizzycat::devilcat2::stars:

One bout of the zoomies and it would be in shreds. Lilith doesn't do stuff like that which is fortunate for me because her sister is a 5 pound furry wrecking ball.

No lights for us. Who knows what she would do to those.

When I did put lights up, I liked the multi colored blinkers and I also like combinations like red and clear or blue and clear together.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do Christmas but I LOVE fairy lights! I have some wrapped around the beams in the kitchen at home and also some jumbled in the plants I keep at work. I have cool white, warm white, and multi-colored. I have 6 more sets to find something fun to do with. . .:D.

The only problem is that the fine wires that fairy lights are on will break with one chomp if a cat tries to play with them. So the ones I have at home are tightly wrapped so the cats can't bite the wire. I wouldn't be able to have them loosely jumbled like I do at work.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mixture of blue and white on the main Christmas tree, though in my room my tree will have warm lights as I prefer warmer Christmas lights to colder coloured ones. I'm also going to try and get my hands on some multicoloured lights to put up somewhere in the house because I've always loved them and their retro vibes.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With our wrecking crew of 5, a tree wouldn't last 24 hours. We put up those icicle lights with the cascading LEDs around the soffit on our front porch, and a figural set of four carolers under a streetlamp that I fitted with a low-voltage bulb, instead of using tea lights.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The parts that are decorated are done in evergreen garland and wreathes, small white lights (still or slow twinkle) and gold bows/bulbs. Sometimes, we'll throw blue in there (very little of it, just to accent the whole mess.)
It seems to appeal to everyone, nice and festive, kind of elegant ('cause I'm an elegant person :crazy:), and doesn't look quite as ridiculous if we don't take things down until mid-January. :thumbsup:
I like the big colorful lights, elves, and reindeer stuff but for a broader population this just makes more sense.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was little which is going back to the 60's we had some colored bubble lights. I still think about them, they are hard to find and expensive.
Ah, I was a child of the '70's and I loved the bubble lights on my mother's tree. My parents had colored lights for most of my early childhood and when we moved, my mother changed the decor in the new house and we had a full-on Victorian inspired tree with white lights. I think I wound up with my tastes being a combination of the two. I have a full sized green tree that I decorate with pine cones, red berries, branches that are covered in lead crystal "ice", red beaded garland and white lights. So far (3 days) the girls have been really good around the tree.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I prefer the small white lights.

When I was a kid we had the big, colored lights that got kind of hot. I would melt the tinsel on them. :lol:

I was too young to remember them using it, but I have my parents silver tinsel tree with color wheel above my garage.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer smaller or medium multicoloured lights on trees. I really like retro/vintage-looking Christmas trees/decorations; they're really nostalgic and just scream "Christmas" to me moreso than the white trees/lights you see a lot nowadays. I wish cats didn't eat tinsel too, because I always liked tinsel!

I've never had moving lights before.

I have a couple of mini tinsel trees (I think they're all about 12" tall) and they have different types of fairy lights: I have a silver tree with purple lights and a green tree with multicoloured lights. I might have a blue tree somewhere, too... don't get me started on my ceramic tree collection. :lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we don't decorate for Christmas here. but my favorite lights are the ones i remember from my childhood, the multi-colored larger bulbs.

and my favorite tree decorations are glass icicles, also remembered from my childhood.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't celebrate Christmas either but I do like plain tiny white lights. The colored lights look tacky, although the small colored light strand on the mini "tree" at work looks ok.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a multi-colored light gal myself. I like when they are blinking too. I probably won't get a tree this year because of limited space in my apartment, but when I do decorate, I like lots of lights.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the big lights we had as a child but I don't think
they are available. I don't care for all white but I would
like all pink. Loved having a live tree as a kid with my
dad cursing when a light was out, my mom saying the
tree wasn't straight and telling my dad he had to fix
it. :santa::gift::musicnote:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the small white lights.

When I was a kid we had the big, colored lights that got kind of hot. I would melt the tinsel on them. :lol:

I was too young to remember them using it, but I have my parents silver tinsel tree with color wheel above my garage.
I love those trees with the color wheels!!!