Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends how its cooked.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today is an odd Monday for me. I can't decide what to do first. My kids are emptying their bedrooms; literally, to sort out toys they don't want anymore. And I'm trying to get the house ready for Thanksgiving. While doing school work. And prepping Christmas decorations. :dizzy: :lol2: I actually hung the strands I put around the living room ceiling last Friday. I was going through the lights repairing the bulbs that were out on the outdoor lights. So I figured why not. I leave the clear command hooks up all year anyway. So it only took a couple minutes. It's so nice to sit with just the lights on. :cloud9: DH and I got the lights on the house last weekend; but we won't officially turn them on till Friday or MAYBE Thursday night. Thanksgiving is late this year so I'm ready!

So back to Thanksgiving prep!

What do you call it: Stuffing, Dressing, Neither? Does it depend on how you prepare it?

Apparently this is a debatable topic. :dunno: I call it stuffing no matter how I cook it. Dressing is the stuff you pour over salads around here. I cook it out of the bird. Why risk contamination? (Plus I'm only cooking a turkey breast and some drumsticks on the side so we can have a little dark meat. Normally my mother makes the turkey and cooks the stuffing on the side too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call it stuffing. I will put some in the bird, but not too full, IDK if this is true or not but I find it helps with moisture and flavor of the bird. The rest of it I cook separate.
The stuffing swells inside the bird as it absorbs moisture. I like it from inside; it's much softer and more moist.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I call it stuffing. When it is my year to cook, I put stuffing inside a cheesecloth bag inside the turkey and then make a large pan of stuffing that goes in the oven. When the turkey comes out, I pull out the cheese cloth bag and mix this very soft rich stuffing along with some pan drippings into the crispy oven baked to increase its moisture and flavor. I don’t use the pan drippings for gravy because I make that a day earlier.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call it stuffing. When it is my year to cook, I put stuffing inside a cheesecloth bag inside the turkey and then make a large pan of stuffing that goes in the oven. When the turkey comes out, I pull out the cheese cloth bag and mix this very soft rich stuffing along with some pan drippings into the crispy oven baked to increase its moisture and flavor. I don’t use the pan drippings for gravy because I make that a day earlier.
What time should we be over? I'll bring margaritas. :clap2:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to call it stuffing. After moving around with the military I started calling it dressing, I think it depends on the part of the country your from. People in this area call it dressing. I used to put it in the turkey but the reasoning behind the food poisoning warning about doing that changed my mind. For years now I cook it separate from the turkey. Since the kids are on their own with their own families and I am back in an apartment I rarely cook a turkey. I make a dish, take a couple of pies and go to one of the kid's house for Thanksgiving. When I do make turkey it is just a breast.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call it stuffing. I will put some in the bird, but not too full, IDK if this is true or not but I find it helps with moisture and flavor of the bird. The rest of it I cook separate.

Food experts discourage stuffing the turkey because that could result in an under cooked turkey and food poisoning. Keep your family and guests safe by baking stuffing separately.