Question of the Day - Monday, November 13, 2023

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None, 'cause I'm in Australia! :lol:
You don’t have different produce in your autumn? I know I’ve had people say that pumpkin and squash are the same word in their language and they were confused about America’s obsession with pumpkin spice. :lol: But I guess I assumed most parts of the world have seasonal produce and products that change what treats they are making.
I'd go for a pumpkin pie, but we don't tend to do desserts on Thanksgiving.
Sometimes I buy my son one of the mini pumpkin pies Walmart has so he’s not left out when I’m making something with apples. They are just enough to hit a craving I think.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don’t have different produce in your autumn? I know I’ve had people say that pumpkin and squash are the same word in their language and they were confused about America’s obsession with pumpkin spice. :lol: But I guess I assumed most parts of the world have seasonal produce and products that change what treats they are making.

Sometimes I buy my son one of the mini pumpkin pies Walmart has so he’s not left out when I’m making something with apples. They are just enough to hit a craving I think.
I used to buy it by the slice, definitely the way to go if a large pie is too much!!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, our produce is the same year round. There isn't the dramatic difference in seasons here that you get in most of the US. We have much more temperate climates - snow isn't much of a thing except in Tasmania and the mountains, we don't have that extreme cold - or desert climates, or subtropical and tropical ones, which just have the wet and the dry (aka summer and winter).

(They serve great chunks of pumpkin with our dinners all the time in the village where I live, because it's cheap, and I'd be happy never to see it again! Don't like sweet vegetables.)

Plus of course Thanksgiving itself is only relevant to the US.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, our produce is the same year round. There isn't the dramatic difference in seasons here that you get in most of the US. We have much more temperate climates - snow isn't much of a thing except in Tasmania and the mountains, we don't have that extreme cold - or desert climates, or subtropical and tropical ones, which just have the wet and the dry (aka summer and winter).

(They serve great chunks of pumpkin with our dinners all the time in the village where I live, because it's cheap, and I'd be happy never to see it again! Don't like sweet vegetables.)

Plus of course Thanksgiving itself is only relevant to the US.
and our friends in Canada. Theirs is in October

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing in particular. I like crisps, more so rhubarb than apple, but I do like apple crisp.
I’ve been making one with a crumb topping and one with a regular crust to kind of give me that apple crisp taste. My stepdad has to have his apple pie with vanilla ice cream; so I always make 2.
For thanksgiving I always have pumpkin and chocolate pie so I love that for dessert. Apple & Cherry pie comes at Christmas time.
I was thinking about cherry pie earlier! Maybe at Christmas I can try that.