Question of the Day - Monday, May 8, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everyone is having a lovely spring/fall day! DH found a bunny nest in our yard this week before he mowed the grass. That area will have to stay un-mowed until they leave the nest. I think I saw a baby bird trying to fly earlier too. :redheartpump:

What is the youngest animal you have ever cared for?

I guess the youngest I've had has been a 6/7 week old kitten; back when that was still an acceptable age to leave their mothers. I was in elementary school then myself. Fortunately we had an older cat who helped take care of her too. Mooch and Noodles were 11 weeks when we adopted them and that was much better. I'm glad we all know better now. :agree:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably Lelia, who was about 4.5 months when I adopted her. I can't think of anything younger since I never knew the age of our fish.

Unless newborn humans count.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patches was about a 4-week-old kitten when I got him. He had been rejected by his mother and a lady I used to work with took care of him for a bit then gave him to me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A days-old kitten. At the place where I worked, we had a former utility company truck to use around the scrapyard for working on the equipment. One of the items inside was a box of cleaning rags. One morning, I discovered a litter of kittens in the rag box, their eyes still closed. The next time I looked, all were gone, except for an all-black one. When mama didn't return for it, we got some kitten food and fed it with an eye dropper for several days until one of my co-workers took it home. That was a couple of years before I retired, and at last report the kitten had developed into quite the house cat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The first year DH and I were married we adopted two tiny but rambunctious kittens who turned the house upside down. 🙃 We have also cared for other kittens and puppies as well.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy, Toby and Hank (adopted at different times) were all about 7 weeks or so when we got them from the rescue.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up one of our dogs brought home a tiny very young baby bunny. The dogs were trained for retrieving game without damaging it so this little guy, we named Petey, had no physical injuries. We bottle fed him for a short while before he moved on to bunny food and he stayed as house pet for a couple years.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hadji, the black kitten from a feral colony Mum rescued in ‘95. Found him alone in the car park at her work. He was maybe four weeks old. Mum was two weeks off retiring. We alternated days off (luckily my manager was a cat person) to look after him - he had hourly feeds. Had the darling boy fifteen years.

This was him being the Great Librarian, rearranging all the books!

8ED26BA7-33D1-4302-9845-B64D3BF47BF5.jpeg

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newborn kittens!

Tintin, Phryne and Bijou are the three siblings born in my home to a pregnant stray I took in. The mother sadly died after birth, so I raised those fuzzy jellybeans myself. Grateful that they grew up happy and healthy, definitely researched a chunk load! And yes, definitely had to keep all three of them lol And all spayed/neutered and vaccinated etc

My chiiiiillddreeeeeeeenn ~~~

InShot_20191205_140300439.jpg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the one thing I do miss with all of mine being spayed and neutered is helping a new mama raise her babies.There's something just so special about watching them grow...all their antics and sweetness,and miraculously they grow up into wonderful pets.