Question of the Day - Monday, May 2, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May came in with some heat for us here! I was 90% asleep when a nice big boom of thunder jolted me awake and today it's sunny and the birds are being feisty out there. My first hummingbird just went by also. And I realized i need more nectar so to the store I will go! After I dig out some shorts and subject people to my winter-white legs. :lol:

My mother took my DS with her to a community event the other day and the state police were there chatting with people. The trooper saw DS (there were no other kids there at the moment) and started telling everyone about the summer camp they have and all the things kids get to do there. He asked DS if he would like to go and DS say "No."
:paperbag:
:flail:
Apparently everyone found it pretty hilarious but my poor mother was so embarrassed! He's so honest sometimes!! He's better about using tact than when he was younger; but a sleep-away type summer camp is just not up his alley at all!
:lol:

Have you ever attended a summer camp or after school program when you were a child or teenager?

I wouldn't have gone to any kind of sleep away camp as a kid either. I did go to a weekend one with our church 3 times. That was different because I was with friends and teachers I knew. The place had little houses and cabins with beds and everything; but they were kind of gross and very basic. They didn't have heat or anything; just basic cabins on the inside but some were cute outside. They had a dining hall, a couple pools and a community type center. We loved going and weren't too bothered by the beds with our sleeping bags.

I did willingly sign up for some after school 4H type programs though. I chose things like woodworking, crafting and cheerleading. That's kind of amusing because I am NOT a cheerleader type or even a marching band type. :lol: I remember having a great time with it though.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I was mute for most of my childhood so going to summer camp was basically not an option because I wouldn't have talked. I did summer activities through the schools though because my mom didn't want my sister and I to be at home doing nothing all summer.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No-during the summer, I was either at home or at my grandmother's. I was in clubs in school, but nothing like 4H.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did Girl Scout Camp. Sleepaway for a week once or twice as a teenager. Day camps with like one overnight stay each as a kid.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There was a camp I went to once when the school picked X number of student leaders to go. We got food poisoning on night 2 and almost 90% of us went home early violently ill.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I went to park district camp for a few summers as a child. It was a day camp and walking distance from where I lived. I don't recall it being expensive since the park district is partially subsidized with tax revenue and they offer financial assistance. When I was in high school I was involved in several after school programs, most were career oriented or in the arts.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents almost always sent me to summer school because they said I was too dumb to learn anything in regular school and needed the extra learning :paperbag::disappointed: Summer school was free. I remember my mom signing me up for a free summer program thing at the library one summer when I was maybe 5. When I was in middle school a neighbor pulled strings with a local college to get me into a youth summer sports camp for free. I hated sports but my parents still made me attend the camp for 2 summers before I put my foot down and said NO. Besides hating sports, I hated being bullied for being one of the few non-white kids at camp. I never did after school programs because none were offered by the schools I attended and my parents couldn't afford to pay for outside programs.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but all of my dad’s camp chants & fireside ghost stories from the 1930s are embedded in my brain.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a church based summer camp 2 or 3 years.it was a sleep away for a week,and it was okay.They had plenty for us to do and kept us busy.The small town where I grew up also had a summer program that was free,and they had it at the playground next to our house.We did a lot of crafts and played lots of soccer and baseball,and most of the kids who went were all the kids from town so we all knew each other.Actually,I liked that much better than the camp.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We didn't do that kind of thing in Australia. I think Summer Camps are pretty well an American thing?
I did do a school trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock) from Tasmania one year. It was meant to be a 10 day trip but we were stuck there in floods for a week. Food was dropped in and it was all very exciting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to park district camp for a few summers as a child. It was a day camp and walking distance from where I lived. I don't recall it being expensive since the park district is partially subsidized with tax revenue and they offer financial assistance. When I was in high school I was involved in several after school programs, most were career oriented or in the arts.
You reminded me that I did a day camp one summer. My great-aunt was a nun and she ran a day camp for the city kids in their parish. My mom always worked and we lived down the street from my grandparents so I spent my summers with them at that age. We were a little outside the parish but my grandparents brought me. I was probably 6/7 that summer and I had a fantastic time. We even got to go to a big water park by bus. My great-aunt really loved children and put so much into those camps. :redheartpump: I’m 99% sure they were sponsored by the church and community donations.
We didn't do that kind of thing in Australia. I think Summer Camps are pretty well an American thing?
I did do a school trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock) from Tasmania one year. It was meant to be a 10 day trip but we were stuck there in floods for a week. Food was dropped in and it was all very exciting.
I guess you did an unexpected survival camp. 😩

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It did not go well, other than the fact that I ended up staying in the dorms 90% of the time because I ended up getting banned from activities other than the daily church services. I 100% did not want to be there, so the punishment was fantastic.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It did not go well, other than the fact that I ended up staying in the dorms 90% of the time because I ended up getting banned from activities other than the daily church services. I 100% did not want to be there, so the punishment was fantastic.
Why were you banned from the activities? How did you occupy yourself while staying in the dorms?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why were you banned from the activities? How did you occupy yourself while staying in the dorms?
That is a bit complicated, but I will try to condense it. I had denounced the Catholic church by this time. (I was 12 and previously had planned to become a nun, much to the joy of my family.) The camp was actually run by an Evangelical church, and I was forced to go because my neighbor's daughter did not want to go so far from home on her own and paid for my way. My very Catholic family thought if went and had fun I might want to still become a nun. It did not work, and I was deemed a "spiritual disruption" after a chat I had with some dormmates the first night there. After being talked to and prayed over, I was still "obstinant" and sequestered in the dorms under the strict order not to have any unsupervised conversations with any other campers. They said I could go to the church services as part of my "redemptive punishment."

I had packed some books and paper, giving me plenty to do.