Question of the Day - Monday, May 11, 2020

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried to use an oxyacetylene torch. I want to, but it has never really been needed. I am okay with some engine and car repairs, especially older cars. I do know my way around my Ford Focus, though! My husband takes me when he looks at cars because I know more about what to look for than he does. We went to a car dealership two years ago when looking for his most recent car, and they pretty much ignored me. We left. (The antifreeze was extremely low, so I asked about a leak or a leaking/blown head gasket. Seems reasonable, considering it is a sealed system. The ignored me, so my husband asked. They said, "No, antifreeze gets low in the cold weather sometimes because the car uses it." Really?)
Torch welding is dangerous unless you really know what you're doing so it's not something to get into casually. I've gotten myself burned a few times by forgetting to put my jacket on and had sparks go through my shirt. Arc or MiG/TiG is actually safer so long as you remember to wear your goggles.

People who really know their stuff are fun to watch though, a friend of mine had an Uncle who was a master welder and he could do things like weld a gas tank on a car with gas in it.

.....And that's legit hilarious. Cars get low on antifreeze because they use it. lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that's men's work to me. I can't fix or build anything. I would rather be a housewife/catmom and do the cooking, cleaning, loving type stuff.
There's nothing about one's sex or gender that would prevent them from having an aptitude for mechanical things, except that many cultures actively discourage girls from developing their aptitude. Nor would cooking, cleaning, or loving be incompatible with mechanical things. It's fine if it's not your thing, but that's not because of gender.
It's more that I hate driving and by extension cars, if I didn't absolutely have to have one to get anywhere I wouldn't.

Oddly enough I enjoy RC car racing though. Go figure.

For some reason that reminded me of this:
View attachment 333936
Yes, that is a nail. Yes, the nail was cut lengthwise. With a sawz-all. While it was in the stub wall I was removing.
That is so cool! Normally it would just break or buzz one side off, but going right down the middle like that is awesome.

I love Sawz-alls, they give you such a feeling of power, lol.

I don't have a ton of aptitude for mechanical things, but I'm passable at household repairs and chores. Like, I can change a spark plug, change the oil, top off the fluids, etc., but that's about as deep as I'm going to get in an engine. I'd have to get a totally experimental engine to play with if I wanted to learn more, because I'm not risking my main vehicle!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Torch welding is dangerous unless you really know what you're doing so it's not something to get into casually. I've gotten myself burned a few times by forgetting to put my jacket on and had sparks go through my shirt. Arc or MiG/TiG is actually safer so long as you remember to wear your goggles.

People who really know their stuff are fun to watch though, a friend of mine had an Uncle who was a master welder and he could do things like weld a gas tank on a car with gas in it.

.....And that's legit hilarious. Cars get low on antifreeze because they use it. lol.
My son can use one, so I will ever have to even think about it. I just think welding looks fun in general. Dangerous, but fun. I like to watch videos of underwater welding. Your uncle was a brave man!

Yeah. I just looked at my husband and said, "We are leaving." When we got in the car, he said he would not have bought from them anyway since they acted like I was an idiot.

I love Sawz-alls, they give you such a feeling of power, lol.
Yes!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I'm pretty mechanically minded. I used to be able to do basic maintenance on the motorbikes I had. I'm much better at woodwork though. I really like making things out of wood, if I see a pile of timer I start fantasizing about what it could be turned into.

:lol:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to watch videos of underwater welding. Your uncle was a brave man!
Oh yeah, underwater welding is definitely fun to watch. Not something I'd want to do, but still fun to watch. Wasn't my Uncle though, it was a friend of mine. He'd talk about "Uncle Dallas" a lot, never got to meet the guy but I wish I had, I'd have liked to have picked his brain a bit.

That is pure precision..couldnt do that again ever..lol
Neither could I, I'm sure. It's not like I was even trying then, that nail was through 2 boards that were sandwiched between 2 other boards and I didn't even know it was there until after I got tired of wondering if the blade was dull and started cutting a few inches lower. After the 45 seconds or so it took for that cut I pulled it all apart and found the nail.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I used to have a small boat with a Yanmar salt water cooled inboard motor that I had to look after myself. But that was a long time ago. Now I leave the mechanical things to the mechanic. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son can use one, so I will ever have to even think about it. I just think welding looks fun in general. Dangerous, but fun. I like to watch videos of underwater welding. Your uncle was a brave man!

Yeah. I just looked at my husband and said, "We are leaving." When we got in the car, he said he would not have bought from them anyway since they acted like I was an idiot.

Yes!
Welding really isn't dangerous if proper care is taken. The fumes from stick welding can be though, so you need good ventilation. I never did much MIG/TIG welding, but a lot of torch, stick, and brazing, and some flux-core as well. Never went to school for it, just learned by doing it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welding really isn't dangerous if proper care is taken. The fumes from stick welding can be though, so you need good ventilation. I never did much MIG/TIG welding, but a lot of torch, stick, and brazing, and some flux-core as well. Never went to school for it, just learned by doing it.
Same with me, I took a welding class as an elective in high school but that's it. Everything else I know about I learned by doing or by watching people who know a lot more than me.