Question of the Day - Monday, May 11, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everyone had a good weekend! It was a different Mother's Day for us; but not really in a negative way. We picked up dinner to go and relaxed at home. I didn't even get out of my pjs. DH tilled up a patch of ground for some corn. DS had the best time of all though. Our old toaster oven's cord had gone. It wouldn't turn on unless I wiggled it just right. So it was time for a new one. So we let DS dismantle the old one. He had a BALL! My kitchen table was covered in parts. :lol: The look of concentration on his face was INTENSE! Before he could crawl if you handed him a toy; he'd turn it over to look at the bottom. So I've been waiting for this day to come. Now I guess we ask friends to donate their old/broken small appliances. :lol: We let him keep the cup of screws and the bell because we discovered it still functions. Unfortunately we can't get inside the "inner workings" of the bell without breaking the plastic it's in. And we can't tell how long it's counting for. :lol:

Are you mechanically inclined?

I can hold my own. I can fix some things and use most tools. I think I've got a balance between my creative side and my mechanical. I mean I hope so. My degree is in Architectural Engineering (Interior Design) so that kind of requires you to have a bit of both. It is interesting to know what things are made of and how they work. But it's fun to dream up new things too.

But with that I should admit that I made a mess in my laundry room this weekend. On Saturday I decided to change out Mooch's litter boxes because the litter had gotten low enough. Well one thing led to another and before I knew it I was washing down the door moldings, shelves, washer and dryer (litter dust on a black dryer! :cringe:), tossing stuff we don't use... And then I saw how dusty it was BEHIND the washer and dryer. I couldn't quite get the vacuum extension behind them so I moved the washer (the dryer is on a pedestal). The incident came when I moved the washer just a little too much...and the drain hose popped off. 🤪 Water was everywhere. It wasn't on; so it was just residual water...but still! It's impossible to get all the litter that accumulates under the washer with a broom. So you can imagine the mess from water and clumping litter mixing! I had to hose the towels off outside. I let DH fix that but it did require buying a new drain hose. I won't make that mistake twice! :paperbag:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I am not. I can build things, do carpentry or repairs if it is just a couple of parts, but if it is a mechanism where you need to assemble multiple pieces or figure out which moves what, I just can’t do it. I have a brain gap when it comes to that. I bought a new Dyson vacuum last winter but before I did I had to watch a video to see if maintenance on it was going to be too complicated for me. Fortunately it wasn’t but it’s the kind of thing I need to check because diagrams in a manual mostly don’t make sense to me. I do find that YouTube videos are a tremendous help though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and no. I can hold my own with small jobs around the house and what not like changing a tire, replacing the guts in a toilet, building furniture, replacing the belt on my vacuum, etc... and I do know how to use power tools. But In NO WAY would I ever try to figure out how take apart a whole appliance or my car to see if I can fix it. I'm good at figuring out the problems depending on the "symptoms"...just not necessarily how to execute the fixing part. I'm too scared to even try with the "big stuff"...especially if my life would be the casualty of a faulty fix. :lol:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really basic jobs around the house I wouldn't even try anything big. And it did once take me 3 day's to put a cabin bed with wardrobe together :lol:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am mechanically inclined. My husband likes the fact because he is not; however, I do tend to make a mess when I work on stuff. He got a set of tools from his mother the first year we were married. He handed them over to me and said, "You will put these to more use than I ever will." I do get frustrated because my physical limitations often stop me from doing things on my own. (Also, I really would like a bunch of woodworking tools.)

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely want to learn more. I grew up too poor for new things so I tinkered with things to help them work longer (eg., adapter cord loose? Try wrapping it around a block and tying it in place!) I bought a house with my partner 3 and half years ago and so I am continually learning to blend my poor person DIY with professional technicians and contractors. I watch videos on everything I need to do before making my decision. My main project this summer will be to carve out more area for gardening, which I will do myself. My fence needs to be replaced and I'll hire a contractor for that haha

Most of my small appliances are pretty aged now so I'll just replace them when they 'go'.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what it is. I can do handyman stuff around the house (including basic electrical and plumbing) and I know my way around an oxyacetylene torch, but when it comes to engine repair I don't even try.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that's men's work to me. I can't fix or build anything. I would rather be a housewife/catmom and do the cooking, cleaning, loving type stuff.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what it is. I can do handyman stuff around the house (including basic electrical and plumbing) and I know my way around an oxyacetylene torch, but when it comes to engine repair I don't even try.
Awwwww, no sense of adventure? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to a father who was a brilliant mechanical engineer and working with people all my life who have been experts and professionals in their fields I can design, build and repair just about anything mechanical, hydraulic. electrical and electronic. Studied fluid dynamics for a couple years and that was fascinating.
I had a metal work teacher in my school days who gave us the project over the holidays to make something at home that was useful and usable and it counted towards end of years marks.He asked me what I made and i showed him a photo and told him I put a 900cc motorbike engine into a go kart. He shook his head and said I had better give you a pass while you are still alive..lol
But give me some wood and ask me to build something all you will end up with is a pile of kindling, sawdust and a pile of bent nails..wood and me just dont get along.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, no sense of adventure? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
It's more that I hate driving and by extension cars, if I didn't absolutely have to have one to get anywhere I wouldn't.

Oddly enough I enjoy RC car racing though. Go figure.

But give me some wood and ask me to build something all you will end up with is a pile of kindling, sawdust and a pile of bent nails..wood and me just dont get along.
For some reason that reminded me of this:
20200511_180041.jpg

Yes, that is a nail. Yes, the nail was cut lengthwise. With a sawz-all. While it was in the stub wall I was removing.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried to use an oxyacetylene torch. I want to, but it has never really been needed. I am okay with some engine and car repairs, especially older cars. I do know my way around my Ford Focus, though! My husband takes me when he looks at cars because I know more about what to look for than he does. We went to a car dealership two years ago when looking for his most recent car, and they pretty much ignored me. We left. (The antifreeze was extremely low, so I asked about a leak or a leaking/blown head gasket. Seems reasonable, considering it is a sealed system. The ignored me, so my husband asked. They said, "No, antifreeze gets low in the cold weather sometimes because the car uses it." Really?)

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be....familiar with and how to use the tools in his workshop.However...it's been a long time since I've done anything like that,so now...dunno.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother got the mechanical traits from my mom's side of the family. He has been a train, car, and bike mechanic. My mom initially wanted to work as a carpenter (specifically cabinets) but basically got hazed out as it was "a man's world." She likes doing all the DIY projects around the house. She does the manual labor (or used to, like mowing the lawn) My dad is technologically inclined and a cook. He can rewire a building, set up complicated information systems for his firm, and cook decent food.

Me? I guess I'm a bit of everything. I can follow instructions and like to problem solve on my own. I took all the shop classes I could in high school, but since my bro became a mechanic, I just kind of let him deal with my car issues (I changed a headlight on my own, that's about it). I like doing the IT sleuthing on my own machines too. I'm also very good with repetitive tasks. Basically, if I do something once, I have a good memory of how to do it again. The thing with mechanics is that I'm not good at going step-by-step...I guess I'm a "oh, so it looks like this when you're finished" type so I just kind of finish without following specific orders correctly...which can cause problems, lol. I'd say I'm game for anything and could be reasonably good at most things if I put some effort and time into learning. The learning is natural, I can't look at something and know how it works though.