Question of the Day - Monday, March 29, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's Easter week here; so there is excitement in the air! CANDY is coming. :lol: And dying Easter eggs. I also found a cookie decorating kit. I'm hoping it'll all motivate my kids to get through school work quickly so we can do the fun stuff. I'll be making Crab Stuffed Deviled Eggs for this weekend too. I was looking for candy in a local bulk food place. They repackage things into smaller portions for very reasonable prices. So the other day I found Fruit Slices in there. They always remind me of my Great Aunt. I brought home a package and the nostalgia was real (orange is still gross). I went looking for them last night and found DH had gotten into them and they were gone! :angrywoman: Guess I have a reason to go back? ;) They also had Ribbon Candy; but I didn't get it to try. My Great- Aunt always had either those candies or Andes mints.

Who was the oldest relative that you knew?

I was able to know one of my Great-Grandmothers; my maternal grandfather's mother. She was 99 when she passed away. I was born in the same town as my parents and 2 of my grandparents. My other grandma grew up in a town just up the road and all 3 of them came from big families of 6-8 kids. So that meant there were also a lot of Great Aunts and Uncles around. Some of them seemed pretty old to me as a kid too becaue of the age gaps in those big families. My maternal Grandmother's mother was pregnant with her younget sister at the same time as her oldest sister was pregnant with her first child. I grew up playing with the youngest sister's grandkids as playmates. So I guess it's no wonder some of the great aunts and cousin's seemed SO old. :lol:

Edited to add: That Great-Grandma's son, my Grandpa, is currently 99. My paternal grandmother is 102. So she is now oldest; but not oldest from me.

Last edited:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My maternal grandmother, who lived to be 92. I think she would have lived much longer but after the passing of my grandfather (They were married for 55 years) she was sort of "meh" about life after that and let herself dwindle away instead, despite being very healthy, witty and active for the longest time. Was still travelling extensively in their 80's. ALOT of relatives on my mother side lived very long lives (All her uncles, aunts, great uncles and aunts, great grandparents, grandparents etc) the average being in their 90's upon passing - even back 100 years in generations! It's all in our family genealogy book. I swear you could throw a bomb at that family and they would still be standing lol

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't pretend to have known her, but when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old my father once took me and 3 of my 5 younger siblings to meet his great-grandmother. I can only remember that she was blind and deaf and very tiny. She was being cared for by people my father called aunties and uncles. She lived to be over 100 and I've no idea how many great-great grandchildren she had, but we were obviously just a few among many. Nevertheless, what impressed me at the time was how clever these aunties were - they sent us home with a large selection of hand made skirts and ponchos. Unfortunately they were a few sizes too small for me, so I and my brothers had to go without but my younger sisters did well.
My grandfather lived to be over 80 and my father over 90 so, although they lived to a good old age, on that side of the family no-one else has reached their century. On my mother's side, my grandfather was 96 and my mother was almost 99 when she died two years ago. So no centuries there either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One of my aunts lived to be 102. My husband's father lived to be 102 and his mom was 97. However, I can't say that I knew the aunt and FIL that well. My MIL was a lovely person. I never knew any grandparents. My dad was 53 when I was born and my mom was 40. My dad was 15 years younger than his oldest brother.....so you get the picture. I had first cousins who were 40 years older than I was.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My paternal great grandmother lived to be 96. She had a full life, married my gr grandfather when she was 18 and he was 60, and then survived two more husbands after him. My mother never approved of her because she cussed, smoked and would offer us kids dog biscuits in place of cookies when we visited her.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My great-aunt Oona (I named a spider after her because I adored her) lived to be 101. There are conflicting ages for my great-great-uncle Nashoba (aka Uncle Nash). I met him once when I was 12 or 13, several months before his death. Most said he was105, others said 106. A few said 103. His birthdate was unclear since they did not keep exact records on the reservation, but he was born in the 1880s.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uncle Ellsworth, he lived to be 100.
I have a great-uncle Ellsworth! Not a name you hear every day. He always went by his middle name, or, because they lived in New England and he was a Junior, some people called him Joon (I didn't know of this New England tradition when I was a kid and always wondered "why do they call him June?", lol). We're not in contact with my dad's side of the family anymore but The Internet says he's still alive and is 94 now.

When I was little I remember an elderly relative we visited named "Grandma Dot" and it was my perception that she was well over 100, but maybe that's just because I was 4 :lol: . I should ask my mom how old she actually was.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My great, great grandma was 106 when she died. She lived in her house until a few months before that. I was 18 and away at college. I remember she gave my sister and me a tour of her house twice because she forgot she had done it just 5 minutes before.