Question of the Day - Monday, June 8, 2020

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up there was nothing better than swimming in the cold sea off a seaside resort on the south coast of England. The higher the waves and the stonier the beach the better. Having to spend time in a swimming pool was boring.

As a student, swimming across a large lake in Sweden to reach an island was fine until the local people told us that the waste water from a rolling mill was fed into this lake.

I found trying to swim in a popular, shallow, rather warm lake in Austria quite nauseating because of the slimy water weed under foot, not to mention the fish and eels!

A very deep, cold lake in Germany was a challenge – again swimming to a small island, on my own as no-one else dared trying to make the distance. I’m not a strong swimmer – very slow as I only swim breast stroke – but I could always manage distances, taking spells on my back or treading water to get my breath back.

Today I can’t believe that I had the courage just to do it! I no longer like cold water. So a swimming pool is fine. Swimming is still boring but aqua-jogging to music is wonderful in a heated pool. Unfortunately no longer possible owing to Corona!