Question of the Day - Monday, June 8, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been feeling very summery in my neck of the woods. We went for a walk at a nature preserve yesterday. We tried one first but it was STINKY!! I'm still not 100% sure where the odor was coming from; but I felt bad for the property owners in the area. :barfgreen: We didn't last long there before we turned around and headed to another one. That was much more pleasant; even with flies buzzing around. Most of that walk was over a boardwalk through wetlands. There must have been thousands of tiny fish in the water. I was hoping to spot some turtles but we didn't see any. DD is now pretty much begging to go to the beach.

Where do you prefer to swim: beach, lake or pool?

I reallty like being in/around water. I prefer a pool for swimming but I spent plenty of time in lakes as a kid. And at the beach. Beach walking in the evening looking for shells is fun. And standing in the waves. But I really prefer a pool to keep cool so I can get wet comfortably. We were going to put a pool in a few years ago but held off because it was going to be a tight fit between our septic drain field and the edge of the property. We found out the age of our septic system and DH wanted to be sure that wasn't going to be an issue. It's not; but we still haven't proceeded with the pool. I'd be in that every day. :cloud9: Lakes are my favorite for boating and paddling. I've heard a few people say that pool companies are really busy this year. Probably since people are prepared to be home and many community pools won't be opening.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pool. No question.

Just an FYI/friendly warning: Having a pool is huge investment and if you do get one, be prepared for your electric and water bills to go through the roof. We had an inground pool when I was a kid. It held 20,000 gallons of water. I warned a former co-worker of mine about the electric bill before she moved into a rental home with a pool. She didn't believe me until she saw the bill. Don't get me wrong. They are lots of fun but they are a lot of work and very expensive to install/ maintain. My FIL had one at the house DH grew up in too. He still curses that thing to this day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard a few people say they have pools and never use them. I don't understand that. If you are putting all that money into it; you better use it!

One lady at my church was telling me that her neighbors have a pool they don't use or maintain... so it breeds mosquitoes for the whole neighborhood. :cringe: She's complained to everyone she can complain to and nothing has changed. :disappointed:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They put chlorine in a lake?! How do they keep the fish alive? Or is it not exactly a lake, more of a less-concrete swimming pool?

I'm not sure what I prefer. The ocean terrifies me, but it's a lot of fun to get a boogie board and play in the waves. Lakes are nice, but I'm never sure what's on the bottom or how much cow runoff is in it. And pools of course are tidy and convenient, but I know every kid there is peeing in it. So, idk, whatever comes up at the time I guess.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
They put chlorine in a lake?! How do they keep the fish alive? Or is it not exactly a lake, more of a less-concrete swimming pool?

I'm not sure what I prefer. The ocean terrifies me, but it's a lot of fun to get a boogie board and play in the waves. Lakes are nice, but I'm never sure what's on the bottom or how much cow runoff is in it. And pools of course are tidy and convenient, but I know every kid there is peeing in it. So, idk, whatever comes up at the time I guess.

No fish. It’s a man made lake. There is a heavy duty liner and then about three feet of sand covering it and the beach. It looks like a “real” lake but it has a filtration and pump system plus chemicals to keep the water clear.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have an in-ground pool. You will take that away from me over my dead body. Working outside in the heat and humidity? Need a break? Come back from a six-mile walk and you're overheated? Spend an afternoon pushing the mower? Jump in the pool! I've been known to do that. And when I worked at the paper plant, I used to come home from second shift (11:00 at night) and I'd be stripping as I came up the stairs to the living room. In the front door, out the back door and.....splash! And I'd be in there until 1:00 in the morning.

It's not a big pool at all, about 15 x 30, oval-shaped. 4 to 8 feet deep. But it gets the job done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the beach. I love a nice lake, too. But with a pool, it's right in the back yard.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pool the thought of fish terrifies me when I was a kid me and my brothers were swimming in the river, l looked down and the fish were all round me it freaked me out so now I stick to the pool.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've swum in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and Gulf, and the only time I was in any danger was from a close encounter with a sea urchin. I have one of the Great Lakes less than 20 miles away, so that's my choice. It's tough to get a workout in a pool, unless it's a really big one, and those are all still closed.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pool. No question.

Just an FYI/friendly warning: Having a pool is huge investment and if you do get one, be prepared for your electric and water bills to go through the roof. We had an inground pool when I was a kid. It held 20,000 gallons of water. I warned a former co-worker of mine about the electric bill before she moved into a rental home with a pool. She didn't believe me until she saw the bill. Don't get me wrong. They are lots of fun but they are a lot of work and very expensive to install/ maintain. My FIL had one at the house DH grew up in too. He still curses that thing to this day.
Not to mention your liability insurance premiums going up.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard a few people say they have pools and never use them. I don't understand that. If you are putting all that money into it; you better use it!

One lady at my church was telling me that her neighbors have a pool they don't use or maintain... so it breeds mosquitoes for the whole neighborhood. :cringe: She's complained to everyone she can complain to and nothing has changed. :disappointed:
That's not unusual because of the cost to run them. I think a lot of people don't really understand how time consuming and expensive they are until they have one. When I was a kid, we lived in NY so our pool was open from mid May to Labor day. After that, dad closed it up.I can't imagine what it would be like to have one here in Florida or another warm climate where it could be used almost year round.

I'm not surprised about that either. A friend of mine back in NY (years ago) rented a house that had a pool. It was completely empty except for dirt, etc that the wind blew into it. The neighborhood cats used it as the world's biggest litter box.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As a kid my family would go to the lake to swim and when I was a teenager I would bike there with my friends. Nowadays if I have the urge to swim I go in a pool preferably so I know where my feet will touch the bottom. ;)

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer rivers. Minnesota might be the land of 10,000 lakes, but all the ones with beaches are not that clean...lol I like that the waters in rivers are constantly moving. Same with the ocean, although I'm a little afraid of waves unless I have a surfboard. When I was a kid, I was super blonde and my neighbor had a pool and we'd go swimming a lot in the summer...so much so that my hair turned green from the chlorine. Whoops. I don't mind pools, but I'd prefer the adult only lap pools to a waterpark or open swimming pool.